$20k

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• $20k

I am new to the site. I have a 20x50 insulated space with 12 foot ceilings. I am going to use for a simulator. I have about a $20K budget but might not need it. I've been leaning towards the portee base pack 2 but also looking at the GSA fx-5. I'm not a great golfer and I plan to use it more for the driving range and for me and my buddies to play golf when the weather is bad. I do not know if it is worthwhile to try to step up to something like the Greenjoy, Golfzon or Kevic but it is hard to get pricing on those systems but It looks like most start around $35K. I think being able to hit off different surfaces would really add to the FUN aspect. We have right and left handed players so that is important. I plan on starting the build in early August. I am still gathering information at this point. Any suggestions are appreciated.
    Last edited by GReenleaf Gang; 06-21-2018, 09:58 PM.

i only use a skytrak and am lucky everyone i play with is right handed... protee with putting sensor etc is pretty damn accurate once setup properly, has multiple software support and good customer support too... and easily accomodates left and right handed players. GC2 is still top notch but not as simple for lefties.
    i use a BenQ W1210ST for a projector, and made my own enclosure with the impact screen from spectrum golf. its durable and also quiet when you rip your driver off the tee. check out those options for the screen, projector & go from there.

Comment

This may come off wrong and Im sorry if it taken like that. IMHO I wouldn't look at it with a budget or dollars only. I would ask what are your expectations for your sim and what do you want to get out of it. Is your game improvement area? Are you looking to entertain guests?

If you talk to companies I'm sure they're willing to send you to the moon and back. But might not have really met your expectations.

My personal experience. I have ST w/TGC, some carpet, a projector on a table and a impact screen I got on clearance. I purchased the gaming laptop on discount/clearance.

It's been about six weeks since its really been up and running, but I still enjoy it as if it was day one.

Comment

One other thing to consider is how finished you want the area to be and how much work are you willing and able to do? Is the space somewhere visible to lots of people and used for other purposes, or will it be just you going out to play? You can see pictures of builds on here that look top notch and could be done for around $5k excluding the simulator hardware, but they took more planning and a lot of work. With a space that big, I think you would have to frame out a portion of it to make it look really good. If you do frame out a space, you will need to run electrical and audio/video cables while you are doing it. If that is something you are up to, the materials cost isn't too bad. But if you pay a contractor to frame it out, electrician to wire it, home theater company to install projector and speakers, drywall guy, painter, carpet guy, etc, you could blow through most of your budget.
        Well, I have been at this for a couple of years now and I thought I would try to put everything in one place. I've had a lot of questions, some discussions,

Hey everyone, After a lot of research and literally going back and forth on doing this room 6 or 7 times in the past year, we are close to completion. What

Or you can buy an electrical conduit kit online with a black net cage and impact screen all as a package and just set it off to one side of the space. It doesn't look as polished but doesn't take much thought on your part either.

Or there are more polished kits that still need assembly. You could set one of these up in a corner.

Or you can hire a company to design and install everything and I'm sure they can use your full $20k budget before buying any simulator hardware, no problem :-)

One thing to consider for right/left handed play with a space that big is having two impact screens with a GC2. You don't move the unit, but right handed players hit into one and left handed players hit to one on the opposite side.

To be honest, if your friends aren't serious golfers, they will be more impressed by how the space is built out than the accuracy of the system. My space looks nowhere near as good as most people's on here, but I chose to spend most of my budget on a GC2 to get more accurate simulation because that is what is most important to me.

Comment

Thank you very much for the comments. The space is big and I do want it to look like some of the pictures posted on this site. I am quite handy and can handle doing any electrical that needs to be done. The space was a barn and currently has slightly sloping floors going to a center drain. I anticipate I will need to build a platform to level everything. Figure about $6K for a simulator, $1K for projector and $1500 on a computer. I can then spend the some money on building out the space. I'll need hitting mats and a putting surface. I think I can do the entire thing for $10,000-$11,000 I hope to use the system to help my game but mostly for entertainment. I have four children and they have a lot of friends. I also have my buddies I like to golf with and anticipate being able to play Augusta during the Masters and that being a blast. It seems like the GC2 is so popular on this site but the dual tracking on the port system seems pretty good to me. The GSA PX5 looks good but the customer service reviews seem kinda poor. I was thinking about the Trugolf option but do not like the subscription model.

Comment

• triplebogeysrbetter
            triplebogeysrbetter commented
            Editing a comment
            You will be a hero for the kids. I built my garage only thinking of skytrak. Since then all of the kids have brought in their devices (PS4, Xbox) to play on the projector with the huge screen.

We even purchased some bean bag chairs for movie watching.

If you need both L and R, go with Protee. The support alone is going to be worth it.

Comment

I’ve had protee and now have gc2. GC2 is hands down the best for a simulator setup. It’s the way to go. Issue is the lefties. If you can do what Andy says, and have a way to hit both directions without moving the GC2 that would absolutely be the best way to go. Protee is good for the money, but with a 20k budget and that space I’d highly recommend the GC2 solution as it will have minimal to no misreads and the numbers are spot on. It’s much more user friendly for the guests.

Comment

• GReenleaf Gang
              GReenleaf Gang commented
              Editing a comment
              So can I get TGC for GC2? I used a sky track once and did not like the delay. Does GC2 have the same delay as Sky Track?

• andygg1986
              andygg1986 commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes you can use TGC with GC2 and the delay is almost always less than one second. By the time I finish my follow through the ball is starting to move. Every once in a while it will take two or three seconds on a flop shot because it takes longer to calculate spin, but that doesn’t happen often.

I looked into the GC2 and do not like the idea of putting dots on the clubs. I anticipate my friends bringing their clubs over and I guess everyone would need to put dots on their clubs. Then I only have one set of clubs. When you play on the real coarse do the dots effect the grooves? Just things I wonder about.

Comment

Originally posted by GReenleaf Gang View Post
              I looked into the GC2 and do not like the idea of putting dots on the clubs. I anticipate my friends bringing their clubs over and I guess everyone would need to put dots on their clubs. Then I only have one set of clubs. When you play on the real coarse do the dots effect the grooves? Just things I wonder about.
              Dots on the club face are only needed if you also have HMT and want club data. They are not needed for general Sim play. They only need the ball data.

But no, they wont effect the grooves, but technically (if you care about such things), they do make the club's non-conforming with the rules of golf so shouldn't be on the clubs for any official tournaments.
              Last edited by StuartG; 06-26-2018, 01:16 PM.

Comment

Permanent space, lefty and righty play, don't like putting dots on clubs, $5000 budget for the system, and you are handy enough to do your own build out.....your situation screams for a ProTee setup. You will not be disappointed. When you have a permanent space, can control the lighting, and have the patience and skill to properly set it up, the ProTee system will give you "day after day" near flawless experience.

Comment

Working...
                X