Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie with room size question

Hi all,
    It looks like people are all over the spectrum on room size requirements and I don't want to waste money on a plan that won't work...but I really want a simulator.
    I have a home office that is 11 feet wide by 13 feet deep. 9 foot ceiling.
    I'm looking at Skytrak along with a Net Return Simulator Screen. The Net Return Simulator Impact screen only measures 8' 3" wide by 7' 2" high so it seems to me this could work if I locate the screen more toward one side of the room. Their own recommendations say 12' room width and 16' room depth.
    Opinions?
    Thank you....my first post.
    Last edited by jfritts; 09-30-2018, 03:30 PM.

I feel like you need 8 feet from your ball to the left wall (for a righty) to feel comfortable. Maybe if you don’t take practice driver swings, you could do 7.5 feet. Maybe 7 feet if your swing isn’t too flat. That leaves you 3-4 feet at most to the right so that’s doable. 13 feet is about the minimum front to back with the screen.
    Last edited by Godfather; 09-30-2018, 04:03 PM.

Comment

• Godfather
      Godfather commented
      Editing a comment
      I’ll add one thing - take your driver in there and swing some to see for yourself.

Yikes! I had a typo. The room width is 11 feet. There is a drywall boxout that's only 9 feet wide (where the screen would go, but then the rest of the room widens to 11 feet.

Comment

• Godfather
      Godfather commented
      Editing a comment
      Okay. I updated my post. It’s doable.

Thank you. I also read the "offset" term a lot on here and wish someone could explain it. I n my case, if I'm using a screen that is less than 8' wide, I will be centering my tee to that. I may not be in the center of the room, but I am not offset from the screen. Right?
    Do people mean 'offset' when using a whole wall screen in situations where they are not centered in the room?

Comment

Offset means that your ball is not centered on the screen, however wide that is. You will have to be a little offset. TGC and other software allow you to change the position of the ball that shows on the screen so you can match it to
      where your ball is.

Comment

Im in a 12x13x10 room and can swing all clubs comfortably. Im 6'2'

Comment

I have a 9 foot ceiling in my new condo and have to use my driver gently 80-85% swing, not ideal but it gets you around the course.

Comment

I am using my garage which measures 9'3'' tall, I can take a full swing and I am 6'4'' tall with an extended club. (1.5")

Comment

It's doable but the best thing to do is find a way to make something to test. IMO, you're at the bare minimum with driver. Go in your garage or something with a bunch of boxes or something make shift and see if you can swing. For me, bare bare minimum from ball to back wall is 7 feet and about the same to the screen. Width bare min is 10 feet and ceiling bare is 9 depending how tall you are. In a 11x13x9 I'd feel Closter phobic but my room is 16x21x10 lol.. When I built I went in a room and made swings and used boxes to create walls. Once you move down in club it's not an issue. It costs a lot to do so best to be sure. I wish my room was 3 feet longer.
              My Courses:
              World Par 3's by mthunt
              Toronto GC (L) mthunt
              Burlington G&CC by mthunt
              Weston G&CC by mthunt
              London Hunt Club L mthunt
              Park CC Lidar mthunt
              Sunningdale GC Robinson L
              Sunningdale GC Thompson L
              Muirfield Village (liDAR) First Ever Lidar course
              Country Club of Castle Pines (liDAR)
              The Sanctuary GC ProTee L
              The National GC L mthunt
              Mississaugua GC L mthunt
              Shaughnessy G&CC L mthunt
              Markland Woods CC mthunt
              Hidden Lake Old L mthunt
              Magna GC L mthunt
              Barrie CC L mthunt
              mthunt Range

Comment

It's been a process researching and measuring. I appreciate the advice.
                The more I consider this the more I think I'll do it in the garage and go with a 9H X 12W bay. There will be cold and hot times but no worries about room size. Also, I'm guessing the wider screen will give a much more enjoyable result.

Comment

• Brettster
                  Brettster commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Wbond, do you ever use your garage for parking, or only for sim use year-round?

• triplebogeysrbetter
                  triplebogeysrbetter commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Agree with wbond ensure you invest in a good AC and heater if garage golfing. That's if its not tied into the house.

I purchased a 450sq ft unit this summer for my sim. I redid the insulation and walls. Sealed off the attic. I was able to keep it to mid 70 on those muggy DC days. Took about 20 minutes to cool down.

Still researching for a good heater.

Now my garage is sim only other than near the door which has the bikes and my tool chest.

• wbond
                  wbond commented
                  Editing a comment
                  My garage is now SIM only. All of our vehicles have remote start, so not too bad in winter.
              Working...
              X