DIY Real Feel Golf Mat for only $271.50

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY Real Feel Golf Mat for only $271.50

I wanted to share the latest golf sim project I just finished. I wanted to make my golf mat feel a little softer and more like hitting down in the ground creating a divot. So you could spend $750 for a TrueStrike golf mat with a gel insert or you could do what I did for 1/3 the cost...and actually I think it's better.

I have the 5' X 5' ULTIMATE PAR COMMERCIAL DRIVING RANGE GOLF MAT from AllTurfMats.com. Cost $199.
    Link: http://www.allturfmats.com/product-p/utpq6060.htm

I bought a 18 in x 16 in Ultra Gel Pad from OnlyGel.com. Cost $72.50
    Link: https://onlygel.com/index.php/motorc...stock-232.html

I flipped my turf over and cut out a section of the foam bottom and placed the gel pad below the turf. I didn't glue it or anything. This gel pad is 5/8 in thick and that was exactly the thickness of the foam padding below my turf. So it fit perfect.

This feels so much better now. You can hit down and compress the ball and it feels like actually making a divot. Doesn't have any hard feel like before. I definitely recommend others doing something similar. You won't regret it. I also like this method because you don't have any insert and everything looks clean on top with no cut outs or mismatching turf colors.

The biggest tip is to use a oscillating multi-functional power tool (see what I mean in picture). This was the easiest way to cut out the foam. It only took about 30 minutes to cut it out.

If anyone else does this post back your results and how you like it! But definitely recommend others trying this!!!

See attached pictures!

• Wow I just ran across this thread and immediately bought a gel insert that I'll hopefully be installing early next week. I get severely penalized for any shot that isn't perfect and this sounds like it should both help with that and give my body an easier impact. Thanks for the tips

Comment

• Jwheels9876
      Jwheels9876 commented
      Editing a comment
      What hitting mat are you currently using?

• JacobM21
      JacobM21 commented
      Editing a comment
      Jwheels9876 I bought a mat from a website called rawhide golf ball co. They claim to have high grade mats from commercial driving ranges that are used for a year only. Thought it was a cool idea to give them a shot since they were a fraction of the cost. I've liked the mat, but i definitely do feel the impact on the body on mishits.

• fraserjr It depends if your 1/2” turf has at least a 1/2” padding for the bottom. If it does you can cut out the padding using the oscillating tool. Then have gel on concrete below the turf. If you don’t have turf with a 1/2” padding then you could lay those 2’ x 2’ interlocking padded tiles down below the turf. Then cut out a place in padding to place the gel. If gel isn’t tight enough pushing against turf you could then put those really thin 1/8th boards below gel pushing it up tighter. I never tried this but possibly you could put down strips of two sided carpet tape on gel to stick turf down to it. Not sure if it will stick to the gel but that tape is very sticky.
    Last edited by Mike80; 02-02-2019, 04:31 AM.

Comment

• I worked on my mat last night and I think my turf is too thick to feel a difference. I'm thinking of cutting out a section of the mat and adding a small piece of thinner turf. My turf is 1 inch thick and would gladly take some suggestions on some small pieces of turf that you guys have seen work well. Did you guys have a plastic in between the foam and the grass?

Comment

• Im looking for a 1/2 inch gel insert, if someone can point me in the right direction? Thanks

Comment

• Golfer1204, check this out: https://www.onlygel.com/collections/...d-stock-series

Comment

• Hi,

Great idea and going to try and build something similar myself. I'm from the UK so buying the same gel pad will cost a lot more once you include shipping etc.

They do sell similar in the UK and wanted some advice. It seems that I can get 45cm x 45cm (17.7" x 17.7") in either 1cm (0.4") or 2cm (0.8") thickness.

Which would be the best option in terms of hitting experience? I guess the thinner one would be too thin?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Comment

• Just working on my own home golf sim. Thanks for this great idea. I know it was posted a few years ago so just wondering if it is still in use today. I actually pre-wired my basement sim when we built the house in 2016 with HDGolf and their black golf turf. Now that MEVO+ is out, I am looking to finish my own sim for a fraction of the cost.

My room specs so far are:

14 wide x 10 high x 19 long.

I noticed that Allturf has a 4x5 foot 5/8th inch foam option in black: https://www.allturfmats.com/Ultimate...t-p/ob-4x5.htm

I am thinking of buying two 4x5 to create the width for righties and lefties. That could look great and should allow me to insert the gel. Correct?

One question I have is: is 4x5 enough hitting space or should I go 5x5, which will allow me to rotate the mats over time? or should I just save the money since the mats last so long?

Sim: MEVO+ married to PC laptop with E6 package for (all ordered)

Screen and Enclosure to be ordered: Strongly considering the 16:10 Premium 185" diagonal DIY Kit with 5 foot enclosure from Carl's Place with side netting. (sounds like I need to add padding/memory foam to the frame too for ricochets)

Projector to be ordered: have it narrowed down to five that allow me to position on ceiling mount around 14-15 feet from screen:

1. InFocus IN2139WU 4500 lumens and $936.
              2. BenQ Laser LU710 - 4,000 lumens and $1,632
              3. EIKI EK-306U - 5,000 lumens and get a slightly used one for about $1,300
              4. EIKI EK-308U - 6,000 lumens and $1,595
              5. Panasonic PT-VZ580U 5,000 lumens and $1,495 (very popular projector but will require the most keystone adjustments)

Laser is interesting option since lamp life is so long - but is 4,000 lumens strong enough (translates to 37 foot-Lamberts on Projector Central)

Here are a few pics of my space to be completed. MEVO+ should hopefully arrive by early December.

Ceiling protection - either going to be carpet tiles or sound insulation tiles in black

Walls - plan on doing a full size black and white image of the road hole at St. Andrew or something like that.

Any comments on projector brightness or quality would be appreciated. Any other thoughts welcome too.

Thx

-Malcolm
              Attached Files

Comment

• Jtangm04
                Jtangm04 commented
                Editing a comment
                It looks like you are looking at the higher quality tier from all turfs mat, but the cheaper line sold on amazon only lasted 6mo for me before it started bubbling up. Since then, I've gone with 5x5 since you get twice the longevity with 4 rotations versus 2 rotations.
            Working...
            X