Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How important is bay width to you? Does size really matter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How important is bay width to you? Does size really matter?

I'm debating between building a 12' bay which will fit nicely in my space and a 16' bay which will require a bit more work. Has anyone golfed in bays of both sizes and do you have a strong preference for a particular width?

I started with a 10 ft enclosure and moved to 17ft width.....it's like a boat, the bigger the better!!!

Comment

I think it depends if you want to accommodate lefties and righties. Do you mind hitting off center? My story is the same as Gene. Started at 10'. New room is 17'

Comment

My twelve foot works fine for both lefty and righty. Hitting eight feet back from the screen is fairly immersive. Something else to consider is being able to move the screen side to side to change the hitting area to reduce screen wear.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan McWhirter View Post
          My twelve foot works fine for both lefty and righty. Hitting eight feet back from the screen is fairly immersive. Something else to consider is being able to move the screen side to side to change the hitting area to reduce screen wear.
          really? Youd rather have width over depth?

My parts are still on the way, but I'm clearing out the garage bay and setting up netting this weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by Nikuk View Post
            really? Youd rather have width over depth?

My parts are still on the way, but I'm clearing out the garage bay and setting up netting this weekend.
            You have to start with a minimum depth which includes a comfortable backswing and moving around. Then work off that. I have a 12 foot wide screen and I wish it were wider. The screen goes across the entire back wall so I’m offset to the right. There is something incredibly satisfying about not having to be offset.

Comment

• eezetee
              eezetee commented
              Editing a comment
              Why do you have to be offset? If your screen is 12 foot wide, why can't you just set your matt in the middle and go?

• Godfather
              Godfather commented
              Editing a comment
              If your room is 12-13 feet wide and you do a screen the whole length, you’d have to offset. You need 8 feet from the ball to the left wall (righty golfer) to comfortably swing driver.
              Last edited by Godfather; 09-22-2018, 04:35 AM.

Originally posted by gene438 View Post
            I started with a 10 ft enclosure and moved to 17ft width.....it's like a boat, the bigger the better!!!
            Gene how bright is your image, at least per what projector central would say in FL and objectively how's it fairing?? should i be concerned with a 16x10 screen and projector placed at 15-16 ft feet? I thought id have this amazing bright image but Preston from par2pro wasnt impressed at the 36 FL brightness level (per projector central) from my 6500 lumen projector im going to get at that distance. Now im feeling i should shrink the sc reen size. I have the guy who's going to sell me the projector telling me that's a crazy because it should be plenty bright and projector central is a speculation of sorts. Thoughts on this?? I want my boat big but i want it bright!! or at least to pop

Comment

Originally posted by 72solstice View Post

Gene how bright is your image, at least per what projector central would say in FL and objectively how's it fairing?? should i be concerned with a 16x10 screen and projector placed at 15-16 ft feet? I thought id have this amazing bright image but Preston from par2pro wasnt impressed at the 36 FL brightness level (per projector central) from my 6500 lumen projector im going to get at that distance. Now im feeling i should shrink the sc reen size. I have the guy who's going to sell me the projector telling me that's a crazy because it should be plenty bright and projector central is a speculation of sorts. Thoughts on this?? I want my boat big but i want it bright!! or at least to pop
              May I ask, what projector we are talking about ???

Comment

I built mine 10 feet wide and centered. I figured I’d rather have that over 12 or 13 feet wide and offset. It’s plenty immersive for me.

Comment

Originally posted by StanMI View Post

May I ask, what projector we are talking about ???
                  Epson Pro G7500UNL

Comment

• StanMI
                    StanMI commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thats one heck of a nice projector...... but....... $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. WOW!!

Well can you believe it was suggested that it wouldn't be that bright at 16x10 size? Thats got me wondering what other people have as far as the foot candles of brightness in their room and foot Lamberts of brightness on their screen and all that stuff projector Central creating a tools for evaluating that.
                  ​​​​​​ I'm wondering if people here have more or less than 35 foot Lamberts my brightness commonly and what the average really is for people's simulators.

Comment

Sorry for delay....I'm not sure of the specs, but I have Optoma GT1080. Love this projector for golf and movies. I think the quality is fantastic.

Comment

Working...
                    X