Announcement

Collapse

TGC Tour - Congratulations!

Congrats to @allen2be (NET) and @Marc Andre (GROSS) winning the TGC 2018/2019 WINTER TOUR - The Players Championship !

Join this weeks TGC 2018/2019 WINTER TOUR - Valspar Championship with 2 rounds at New Mississaugua G&CC white : https://golfsimulatorforum.com/forum...r-championship
See more
See less

alternative lighting for protee golf sim

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• alternative lighting for protee golf sim

i have a new protee build and as far as the lighting i was wondering if anyone had an alternative way to go instead of spending 160 on the lights they offer. i just feel like there is an easier and cheaper way to go. i found lights that are similar but cant find a similar housing. am i wrong? any ideas?

You are right......if you are willing to spend a little time on trial & error.

First, there is nothing magical about the protee lights that come standard on the system. Bacically, you are looking for halogen lights with a spot beam over the hitting sensor and most probably a flood. Even with the standard lights provided, you usually have to tweak them based on your environment. There are 3 primary issues to deal with: 1)height of your light 2)reflective quality of your floor, and the ambient light in the room. These environmental issues determine your optimum light requirements.

For the hitting mat and your vcam, you really want a spot light so that you get a nice CRISP shadow of the club head as it hits the ball....This is where all your club head data comes from and is determine by the shadow of the club head as it goes across the sensor pad....thus the need for a strong, crisp shadow. At the same time, your vcam needs to pick up a nice streak of the ball as it takes off....this is determine by the light and the ambient light of the room and the backgroud against which the camera is seeing the ball. n The hcam is the easier of the 2 cameras but you have to be concerned primarily of the reflective quality of your floor. Same concept though, just looking for a good streak of the ball.

The second light is primarily for the putting sensor. In fact, I do not use the putting sensor and I have removed the 2nd light as it is not only not needed, but was causing some misreads in my system as it was picking up the head of my diver at the top of my follow through.

A lot of the guys have used a basic halogen track lighting system from home depot which allows you some flexibility in moving the lights back and forth to get it right. I wanted a cleaner look and replaced my track lighting with recessed canisters.....they work great but you have to make sure you get them right....no moving once you drill the hole...lol

You may have to play around with bulb strenght...again, this is determined primarily by how how your lights are and the ambient light in the room....

Bottom line, understand how the system works and you will realize the lights are not magical, and any basic halogen lights placed properly will work.

Comment

• Rovers1883
      Rovers1883 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi gene I’m quite new to all this and have a protee system myself I had a dial in to set up the system for me,and to be honest I hardly get any mis reads the only time I do seems to be with a lofted wedge or pitch shots,the person who done it said I had quite reflective grass which could cause a issue time to time,do you think having my lights on 2 separate switch’s and just turning the putting 1 on for putting could help this issue thanks for any help

• gene438
      gene438 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey Rovers, yes, I actually thought about putting my 2 lights on switches but then when I decided not to use the putting sensor, I just took out the 2nd light...but if I had the putting sensor, I would do exactly as you are thinking.......i would simply unscrew the 2nd light bulb and hit some wedges and see if it improves performance....if it does, then put in the extra switch and your good to go......

• Rovers1883
      Rovers1883 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for your reply I’ll give that a go later on

Thanks for the info gene I have one light and I have the turf ground. I recently had protee remote in and a problem they found with my hcam is no secondary light and I have not yet purchased the vcam I have been trying to move around a par 38 halogen marrow flood. As of now I have it about 6ftt over head(10 ft ceiling and light is suspended down 3ft) just recently mounted to the ceiling but due to having to mount a second light I am going back to slightly off the ceiling so it will be a similar night to the hcam ab 8” from ceiling.. I guess what my initial question was if not buying the lights they offer do you have any you recommend ?

Comment

• gene438
      gene438 commented
      Editing a comment
      Well, my first thought is that if you have the light only 6 ft above you then yes, I can see why Protee would recommend a 2nd light....you probably didn't have enough light (too small a circle) to get a good solid streak....however, if you can raise that light to 9 or 10 feet, you will get a wide enough circle of light to get a good streak with the hcam.....as far as which lights, I honestly don't think it matters as long as you use halogen lights. You may have to play around with the strength....maybe start out with 40/50w

Gene I saw where in another thread your hitting May is 8ft from the screen and you just had to adjust your lights. With one light I had the problem of light reflection on the hitting screen with two lights I fear it will be much worst as the excess light takes away from the graphics could you possibly send a pic of your sim build and light and projector setup?

Comment

Here are the best 2 shots I could find.

In the first photo, you can see the main light for the protee..it is recessed but with a rotating ring so that light can be focused....

On the 2nd photo, I should have turned off the 2 side lights, but I think you will get the idea.

Comment

My light over the putting sensor is picking up the reflection of the club if I hold the club up after shot and thinks it's the ball and draws the wrong line and shoots the ball almost 90 deg right and some times left after hitting a pure shot I am lowering the watts on the putting one I have 75 on both as spot lights

Comment

• gene438
          gene438 commented
          Editing a comment
          Lefty, just unscrew the bulb over the putter and see if that helps the problem.....

• Lefty71
          Lefty71 commented
          Editing a comment
          It's 9' in the air and getting a ladder every time would suck lol, what I am trying first is wrapping cardboard around the light so it has no leakage off to the side or anything and see if that works

• aja
          aja commented
          Editing a comment
          Don't use cardboard - it's flammable.

ProTee supplied lights are 50 W halogens with a 24 degree beam.

In your second picture, the light does not look like it covers the entire circuit board. Try having the center of the light beam hit the center of the circuit board.

Comment

Just curious if anyone has tried to use LED spot lights instead of Halogen?

Comment

Won't work notes to be halogen because of the sensors

Comment

• StuartG
              StuartG commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks, I can understand that requirement for high speed camera illumination. Some (all?) LED's can "flicker" too much at high frame rates for good results.

*Needs to be

Comment

Working...
            X