Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you take drugs, Danny? This is soooo addictive!! What's YOUR reason for SIM golf?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you take drugs, Danny? This is soooo addictive!! What's YOUR reason for SIM golf?

Why are you building a simulator?

You love golf, I love golf, but I am still a bit curious what your main reason for wanting a personal simulator is.

My business is seasonal, so I am busiest during the best golf months here in the Pacific NW... the simulator will allow me to swing a club more often, ... I can do it for an hour and not have my wife scream at me for taking half a day out of the weekend for a round!

My other reason is that, bucket list or no, I am not likely to ever play the great courses of the world. Soon I'll be able to tee it up at St-Andrews, Pebble Beach, Spyglass, omg why am I even starting to list them... there are so many!!... Anyway, not the real thing, but it will be pretty cool nonetheless

What are you addicted to?

- the researching and planning of every detail of the build?
    - the building of the sim room?
    - playing online tournaments/leagues?
    - sim golf parties with friends?
    - Forum chat?
    - improve RL game?
    - play during winter?
    - ???

Maybe this is a lame post, but I'm enjoying this whole sim planning/building/ soon to be playing thing a lot and just wondered what everyone else's main motivation was...

A sim was on my wish list for a long time. I use it a lot for improving and playing. I like having friends over and playing online. If you’re building my only advice is don’t cheap out.
    My Courses:
    World Par 3's by mthunt
    Toronto GC (L) mthunt
    Burlington G&CC by mthunt
    Weston G&CC by mthunt
    London Hunt Club L mthunt
    Park CC Lidar mthunt
    Sunningdale GC Robinson L
    Sunningdale GC Thompson L
    Muirfield Village (liDAR) First Ever Lidar course
    Country Club of Castle Pines (liDAR)
    The Sanctuary GC ProTee L
    The National GC L mthunt
    Mississaugua GC L mthunt
    Shaughnessy G&CC L mthunt
    Markland Woods CC mthunt
    Hidden Lake Old L mthunt
    Magna GC L mthunt
    Barrie CC L mthunt
    mthunt Range

Comment

I'm addicted to just about everything on your list......I understand your post completely. It's funny, I never thought this forum would be the first thing I check each morning when I log into my computers.....who'd of thunk it?

Comment

• triplebogeysrbetter
        triplebogeysrbetter commented
        Editing a comment
        Same here! I login to my work and find myself here. I work from home, so the personal SIM is so great. I don't need to go to the course 4-5 times a week. I can get my fix in the garage for an hour or two. :-)

• gnomike
        gnomike commented
        Editing a comment
        triplebogeysrbetter If I worked from home i'd be afraid that I'd never make it out of the sim lol. I do have my own small business, though, so being able to get my golf fix in an hour or so when time is short will be a huge win

• triplebogeysrbetter
        Editing a comment
        My friend some days it very hard to come out.

love golfing is the first reason. Long winter is the second. I coach multiple teams so for the past many years, my available time to actually play real golf has been very limited and this allows me to still swing and "play" at night.

Comment

We started ours for three reasons: I love golf, we wanted a side business and then also a practice facility for my son, who was supposed to start his high school golfing career this year.

Comment

• gnomike
          gnomike commented
          Editing a comment
          So do you have a commercial location, or do you rent out time on your personal sim?

• MainStGolf
          MainStGolf commented
          Editing a comment
          We have a commercial location as a side business in our "regular" business.

• triplebogeysrbetter
          Editing a comment
          High school golf is fun. My son loves it. Just have to watch those stroke shavers. ;-)

Add "-it's a big ol' eff off to the ex?" to your list and you've got me covered. Great question!

Comment

• gnomike
          gnomike commented
          Editing a comment
          Lmfao!!!!!

I love golf, I live on a golf course (La Costa) in sunny San Diego California, but I have a corporate job that takes up my weekdays and I try and spend my free time with my wife and young kids. In other words, even though I can play "real life" golf almost any day or any weekend I needed to find a way to play golf without cutting in to my family time.

For me, creating a simulator in my garage has been one of the best purchases I've ever made. I can play golf on virtually any course around the world any time I want, and it's been a blast to have friends over and get the kids involved in golf. Now I just have to figure out a way to cure my tennis elbow

It is very addicting though... I've purchased a net return pro with white screen that I haven't used or even opened the box, I've purchased 2 projectors (the first one I bought didn't have the clarity I was looking for), and I've purchased multiple mats in the last 3 months to try and make the best simulator possible for my space. BTW, I love Skytrak!

I too spend the first part of my morning reading this forum and seeing what's new and how I can help others. For those of you just getting started, I've put together a pretty detailed post on what I used in my garage simulator and what I learned as I was building my sim. Here's a link:

A friend introduced me to the concept of Skytrak (affordable golf simulator) last Christmas and I haven’t been able to sleep ever since. For the last couple

Comment

• MainStGolf
          MainStGolf commented
          Editing a comment
          My son and I spent a little over two months in San Diego recently while he was awaiting his back surgery at Rady Children's. Only got to play a few holes while I was out there as the majority of the time was spent in the hospital. We're hoping to get to the Farmer's Insurance tournament out there next year during his one-year checkup :-).

• jdgould
          jdgould commented
          Editing a comment
          Rady's is a great hospital... unfortunately my daughter has had to make a trip there for a broken arm. Farmers is a great tournament, I was fortunate enough to go this last year and watch Tiger officially make the cut on Friday, it's very exciting when he's in the mix.

• gnomike
          gnomike commented
          Editing a comment
          Love him or hate him, he is great for the game of golf as a whole

I was told by my VA doctor I needed to loose some weight and recommended I get a treadmill, which I did. Now I have broken my back three times, shattered my left leg so I wear a brace and two inch buildup on it, plus at the time it was still dislocated, so after about five minutes on the tread mill I was ready to die. My oldest daughter came to spend the summer with me and brought a Wii game counsel with her and got me to playing on it, and the weight started coming off. So she talks me into buying a new Wii U system, which I did. She said the best thing for me to do was buy used games that way I could find ones I like and not have to spend a lot of money doing so. She held up this one game and ask me; "Dad what do you think of this one?", I only looked at the price of the game which was $1.50 and said sure what is the most it could cost me. Now I know better than to taught Murphy, and have long known about Murphy's law but for the life of me I did not see it coming. The game was Tiger Woods PGA tour, and it didn't take long before I was playing pretty well none stop. I then talked to my nephew and borrowed some clubs just to see if I could really hit the ball. I went to the public course in Poplar Bluff Missouri and talked to the pro about starting to play the game, he asked me how old I was and when I told him 65 he said you waited to late to learn and turn and walked away. So needless to say that ticked me off but not at the game, so I went online got on eBay bought me a set of clubs and a few hundred balls and set myself up a driving range on my property. From there I bought a P3ProSwing and set it up in my shop. The wife and I used that for about two months before we went back to a real golf course and tried to play the game, only made 7 holes the first go round but we had fun and that was all we wanted to start with. I replace the P3ProSwing with a GolfAchiever and played on that till I switched the computers over to Windows 10 which caused all kinds of problems with the GolfAchiever. From there I went to a ES-16, I have also bought two golf carts and more sets of clubs than I care to admit to. Now Murphy has showed me what it can cost me, but with all the setback I have run into I still love it and can't wait to get back into it. I have a wife and two grandsons that play with me when we get the chance and am hoping to be able to get a sims room set back up for us to use.
        Last edited by BGCurtis2nd; 04-13-2018, 05:10 PM.

Comment

• gnomike
          gnomike commented
          Editing a comment
          Wow BGCurtis2nd! Thanks for sharing your story and congrats to finding a way to shed some lbs! This game is addictive, and sim golf just adds fuel to the fire lol. It's a shame you crossed paths with the golf pro that you did. Most of the pros that I have come in contact with would never have turned away a keen new student of the game, regardless of age. It's never too late to start!

• BGCurtis2nd
          BGCurtis2nd commented
          Editing a comment
          gnomike I found out that person treats everyone about the same, had two other people tell me he did them the same way. But I did run into a lot of good people that just got me more involved in the game. I am hooked and do love the real game as much as the sims, I love being able to hit shots and see what I can and can't do. I get stuck on details and accumulation of information on what ever I get involved in, more information I can gather on it the better I like it.

Great question.

I'm in the early stages of my build and I can definitely answer a 100% yes to:
        - the researching and planning of every detail of the build? - every MINUTE detail
        - the building of the sim room? (4 days in, and loving the progress)

Thanks mthunt for the comment about not cheaping out - your advice, along with many other people on this forum, has been massively appreciated. As the build goes on, and budgets get stretched, it is nice to be reminded that cutting corners will probably not be a good plan in the medium or long term!

I laugh when I think back to my first days of research, when I was trying to decide on whether to go ProTee or GC2 (I'm going GC2 for the above reason). I was reading so many posts about the time it takes to setup and configure Protee. I smile when I think about how it was a concern for me, and yet I am now 10,000 hours into reading every post on this forum and sleepless nights thinking about every nuance of the build. Haha - time well spent.

Comment

• gnomike
          gnomike commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm jealous of you being in the build stage! I move in to my new house in one week! I've been waiting and researching for months... I'm dyin' lol Like you I've been reading posts like crazy haha

• GoldenSim
          GoldenSim commented
          Editing a comment
          The build stage started this week and went really well for the first phase. Now I've got to get back to work for a bit!! When I've finished I'll post a full update and some photoes, but rest assured that the build is almost as fun as the research

Originally posted by mthunt View Post
        A sim was on my wish list for a long time. I use it a lot for improving and playing. I like having friends over and playing online. If you’re building my only advice is don’t cheap out.
        I'm pretty sure it was from one of your posts that I read back in January when i first started creeping about on the forum... something along the lines of "if you get the good/expensive stuff, you feel the pain once, if you cheap out, you feel the pain over and over and over... That has always been the way I think too. I've purchased most of the main components now. My budget is far from limitless lol but I've been going as "all in" right from the start as I can... GC2 (refurb), Carl's premium (clearance sale), dedicated gaming pc (craigslist 32g ram, gtx980ti)

Comment

• mthunt
          mthunt commented
          Editing a comment
          You can easily spend 60k on a sim but it won’t be the best imo. I looked at the expensive ones. They all said the word customize a lot which means overcharge in my books.

• gnomike
          gnomike commented
          Editing a comment
          Totally agree. Also the phrase "we do everything right for you" is basically charging you a fortune for stuff you can do yourself with a little time & research. I, like many on this forum, love the DIY aspect and make the sim build part of the fun. Heck, just look at all the wicked DIY ideas for hitting mats etc... very cool cost savings and no loss to quality or performance most often.

Originally posted by wbond View Post
        love golfing is the first reason. Long winter is the second. I coach multiple teams so for the past many years, my available time to actually play real golf has been very limited and this allows me to still swing and "play" at night.
        I'm pretty sure that my future routine will be "put the kids to sleep, say goodnight to my wife, head out to the sim room to play..."

Comment

• triplebogeysrbetter
          Editing a comment
          Or say welcome from school kids. Dad is headed to the sim. Just in case I don't see you. "Good night everyone" :-)

Forgot to add one more reason... "place to escape to when the mrs is on a rampage".... 'nuff said #roughnight

Comment

• triplebogeysrbetter
          Editing a comment
          Mine is in the garage. When she is on the war path I run to my happy place. I crank up the music. Turn on the gear and away I go.

What is your security system. Mine is the garage is bolted so she can't enter from the outside. The door to the house I put 45 lb weights there so the door can't open. My "Happy place"

Thank goodness for all the DIY projects that building a sim room spawns... they save me from going batsh**t crazy while waiting to get up and running (or golfing)! Almost there, though... GC2 is now hooked up and communicating with software, the screen is perfectly tensioned... and my projector mount arrives tomorrow... because I totally forgot that tiny detail in all my planning lol

Comment

Forgot to add one more reason... "place to escape to when the mrs is on a rampage"
          Hah! I reckon that's the main reason of 85% of us in the forum.

Comment

• gnomike
            gnomike commented
            Editing a comment
            Right! so 15% must still be single? hahaha so true
        Working...
        X