Golf Simulator and Virtual Reality

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Golf Simulator and Virtual Reality

Guys, please read the following at your own risk!

If you already have a simulator, you are more than halfway to having a "state of the art" virtual reality gaming room. The three components needed are a 15 by 15 open room, a good computer with a Nvidia 1070 or higher graphics card, and VR Headset. I recently purchased a HTC Vive system and I am completely blown away. I have gotten hooked on a Player vs Player war simulation game called Onward. Lots of team play, great guns/shooting, strategic, competitive, and tons of fun. And this is only one game!!!!!

The HTC vive has recently come down to $499 because the ""Pro" version has come out at $899. You can even get used ones now for around $300 because guys are upgrading. This is a great way to test the waters to see if you like VR.

I say this is dangerous because it has eaten into my golf time.....so be careful.

The beauty of combining into your existing golf simulator is leveraging the investment you already have in computer/graphics card and the space you need.

Look closely in the upper left corner on the pic below and mounted on the ceiling you will see a small black box. There are two of these diagonal from each other that track you in the VR world. The technology is simply amazing.

To see gameplay, do a search on youtube under "Onward VR"

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3264.jpg
Views:	1423
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	157654

Wow, I can see my kids taking over my sim if they find out.

Comment

• gene438
      gene438 commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, my daughter likes to play music videos on the screen and adds in the karaoke machine and then turns on my Protee light because she says it's her "spotlight"......

• wbond
      wbond commented
      Editing a comment
      The things we give up for our kids.

• triplebogeysrbetter
      triplebogeysrbetter commented
      Editing a comment
      About 20 years. :-)

I went with the Oculus Rift because Newegg.com had it on sale for $399.00, I have been playing with TGC VR but it is setup for a one handed swing (though I am trying to build a unit to use both hands with it) so it detracts from the game a bit. Also I am into the flight simulators, taking a F-18 down the grand Canyon at mach 2.5 will keep you entertained for awhile or at lest it does me.

Comment

• GolfGuy72_2000
      GolfGuy72_2000 commented
      Editing a comment
      That looks like Aerofly FS2. I love that game in 2D - can't imagine what it must look like in VR. Good for you!

• BGCurtis2nd
      BGCurtis2nd commented
      Editing a comment
      GolfGuy72_2000 It is Aerofly FS2 and it is very good VR, it really makes you feel like you are there. Took a Pitts down town San Francisco and under the Golden Gate bridge.

Originally posted by BGCurtis2nd View Post
    I went with the Oculus Rift because Newegg.com had it on sale for $399.00, I have been playing with TGC VR but it is setup for a one handed swing (though I am trying to build a unit to use both hands with it) so it detracts from the game a bit. Also I am into the flight simulators, taking a F-18 down the grand Canyon at mach 2.5 will keep you entertained for awhile or at lest it does me.
    I ended up fixing my Touch controller to a swing stick I got with Tittle X, The difference was night and day. Its quite easy to do, some people end up cutting an old golf club and using that but I found the swing stick that came with the Tittle X designed for kids really good as it has a soft ball on the end for added protection when swinging goes a bit off track.

Comment

• BGCurtis2nd
      BGCurtis2nd commented
      Editing a comment
      I ordered a spare controller and am looking at adding a short piece of shaft to it and put part of a grip on that to turn it into a two handed grip. Already have everything I just need to sit down and do it.

• mambo1888
      mambo1888 commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah that was my original plan, to cut off an old 7 iron from about and inch past the grip but I had that swing stick anyway and it worked pretty good. The difference it makes is amazing once you offset the controller, the immersion in VR is magnified so much, it feels so real. Good idea about getting a spare controller so you dont have to keep taking it off the club if you want to play something else. Does the rift setup let you have multiple touch controller?

This setup looks awesome, gene438 ! I'm still eagerly awaiting the day when we can all forgo our screens in favor of AR glasses, so we can see the real ball we're going to hit with our real club take off into a virtual world. I'd be surprised if we don't see something like this within the next five years. Here's hoping! Exciting times ahead for virtual golf enthusiasts!

Comment

Hey gene438 I too have an HTC Vive and I have already planned to relocate it to my sim room in a few weeks (hopefully) when it's done. Have you tried tgc in VR? I haven't yet. The Vive has add on sensors that you can add to virtually anything to make an object come to life in VR. The Vive also has a camera in the headset, as I'm sure you know.

So, how cool would it be to be able to use a Vive trackers on real clubs, calibrate the ball somehow to our actual tee location in real life, and hit away in VR!?!!! Also, it's too bad that TGC 2019 couldn't utilize 3d for those who don't have a VR setup.

On a side note, check out RecRoom and Beat Saber if you haven't already. 👍

Comment

• gene438
      gene438 commented
      Editing a comment
      Will do, I've been so hooked on Onward, that I really have not played many other games....too many vices and not enough time.....

Well then once you check those 2 out we may never see you again. You will see...but please just check your messages for the next month to help me get this Protee set up. 🤣 Rec room is a cool social, play games in real time with others/talk live (I will destroy you in paintball/and you can beat me at frisbee golf), and beat Saber is swords like a samurai to any song of your choice (excellent work out too). Hmmm...have you ever heard of "Jong Yi" on Onward..?!? I met him on RecRoom and he grew into a developer for RecRoom and Onward...I believe..

Regardless of them, I also really hope technology advances or someone takes the time to incorporate VR into a golf enclosure.

​​Have you heard if TGC 2019 has 3d capabilities? I don't even have mine set up yet, but if most of our projectors are 3d capable (with glasses) why wouldn't this be something in the works..?!!

Comment

I was going to start a new topic then I remembered gene438 posted about VR. This isn't VR but I found another use for the sim room that's a ton of fun! The video is kind of hokey but I just installed this yesterday and it's awesome!

Review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnfAe2rErqQ&t=94s

Website: https://store.laser-ammo.com/softwar...simulator.html

Cheers!
      --
      What Could Possibly Go Wrong?

Comment

• gene438
        gene438 commented
        Editing a comment
        Looks interesting and I like the price point versus other systems I have seen.

Check out: https://www.itargetpro.com/ Much cheaper firearms training.

Comment

Pretty cool and definitely cheaper... I was looking for a little less "Firearms Training" and little more "bring the family over and have some fun shooting barrels and coke cans kind of thing". More entertainment than training.

Originally posted by EricD View Post
        Check out: https://www.itargetpro.com/ Much cheaper firearms training.
        --

Comment

I just got a quote for about 2k for the vr hunter, 12 games and 2 guns. I also was looking for less training vs shooting fun including the guns. These seem to want to use your own firearms.
          Originally posted by mikemcd22 View Post
          Pretty cool and definitely cheaper... I was looking for a little less "Firearms Training" and little more "bring the family over and have some fun shooting barrels and coke cans kind of thing". More entertainment than training.

Comment

• mikemcd22
            mikemcd22 commented
            Editing a comment
            You can use your own or you can purchase their SIRT laser pistols. I got the base package, two pistols and one "add-on" for 1499.00

Folks, For anyone considering the Smokeless Range I mentioned above, I just discovered there may be a glitch with their camera and the high speed cameras used for the Refine or Ignite package with Uneekor. I have emails into tech support to see if I can get it sorted out but I thought I would let everyone know.

The glitch is, Smokeless range only sees the Uneekor camera, and Refine (Uneekor) sees one of the high speed cameras and the Smokeless Range Camera. I'll post here if there is a solution (not that it will have any great impact!).

--

Comment

So do you just need to uplug and switch them depending upon what you are playing, golf vs range?
            Originally posted by mikemcd22 View Post
            Folks, For anyone considering the Smokeless Range I mentioned above, I just discovered there may be a glitch with their camera and the high speed cameras used for the Refine or Ignite package with Uneekor. I have emails into tech support to see if I can get it sorted out but I thought I would let everyone know.

The glitch is, Smokeless range only sees the Uneekor camera, and Refine (Uneekor) sees one of the high speed cameras and the Smokeless Range Camera. I'll post here if there is a solution (not that it will have any great impact!).

Comment

• mikemcd22
              mikemcd22 commented
              Editing a comment
              Haven't worked it out yet. I'll post when sorted.
          Working...
          X