My Optishot SIM Setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Optishot SIM Setup

Here is my setup in my unfinished basement. It isn't the most visually stunning but it works for me. The height from my floor to the floor joists is roughly 9.5 ft. and I have plenty of clearance swinging driver (I am 5'10").

My screen frame is roughly (inside dimensions) 9 x 9 ft. 1.5 inch PVC. My screen is the PR20 white net/screen from West Coast Netting (roughly 8'10" x 8'10") to allow for an inch on every side. I just zip tied the net to the frame using the grommets.

My mat is the Ulti-Mat 2 from GolfSimulatorGuys with the Optishot insert. I absolutely LOVE this mat. It sits 2 inches off the ground. Slightly on the expensive side but worth it to me.

I have a BenQ W710ST Short Throw HD DLP Projector. I have it sitting roughly five feet from the screen. Works great.

After seeing after other setups I decided the best thing to do was create direct overhead lighting by constructing a PVC frame and using clamping shop lights with CFL bulbs.

I also am using Almost Golf balls.

After a few weeks of playing, I got very tired of walking back and forth to the laptop to change clubs/distance/shot so I decided to get 2 x Scythe Triple Foot Switches. Makes things much easier for me and a little more realistic is adjusting my shots while looking at the screen.

All in all this came in around $2.5K.
    Last edited by HeMan; 10-08-2015, 01:19 PM.

Cool idea about those foot switches. I wish my basement ceiling was 9' 5", would save a lot of trouble designing in the garage.

Comment

Very nice! We should get the indoor season started soon!

Comment

You must be very confident in your swing to put the projector there...

Nice set-up though.

Comment

• HeMan
          HeMan commented
          Editing a comment
          Ha! Thanks.

My swing actually doesn't come close to it. The sensor if off set to the right side of center and the mat is set back enough where my swing doesn't come close enough for concern. Maybe it looks closer in the picture but it sits around five feet in front of where I set up to swing.

I love the foot switches; that's a brilliant idea. Do you have an aftermarket turf top for the sensor, or is that the standard one?

Comment

• HeMan
          HeMan commented
          Editing a comment
          It is aftermarket and is the Optishot insert to the Ulti Mat 2 from golfsimulatorguys. I can't state enough how fantastic the mat and insert are. If you look a the last photo, that is the turf top. Sits about an inch above the sensors. I have never had an unregistered shot. (my kids have but their swings are still all over the place)

Originally posted by Richard_Askren View Post
        You must be very confident in your swing to put the projector there...

Nice set-up though.
        I was thinking that the first time I seen the pictures but read in there that he is using almost golf balls....... so not in real danger.

Very creative on the setup.
        Mountain Time

Comment

• HeMan
          HeMan commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you. Yeah, I will occasionally get a bounce back into the projector but the speed is minimal and it is an Almost Golf Ball so no worries by me. My daughter has directly hit the projector from the back (with the ball) when hitting causing me to wince, but no damage. I will be making a small wood casing that will cover the back and a portion of the top.

Question on your netting... How far in front of your wall do you have your netting and how far does a ball make the screen deflect?

Comment

• HeMan
          HeMan commented
          Editing a comment
          First, I use almost golf balls.

My net is about a foot from the wall. Bounce back of an almost golf ball is minimal. Sometimes it may come back to the projector but most times a foot or two.

I imagine not much would change with real golf balls if your net was secure on all sides but still slightly loose to soften impact. Bounce would be similar or less. Also, if I were using real golfs balls I would have built a full enclosure and probably would not have used PVC for the frame.

**Sorry, I read bounce back but realize you were asking about net impact. With an almost golf ball it pushes the screen minimally (like hardly at all with a driver). Using a real golf ball, I would use something in addition to the PR20 netting or any other impact screen you get to lessen the blow as well.
          Last edited by HeMan; 10-28-2015, 04:13 PM.

Nice setup! Two things;
        1) Talk to us about the foot pedals! What a cool idea. What are they, where do you get them and how do you hook them up?

2) This isn't just for you but anyone that a deep setup like yours. How often do you hit "over" the net (the ball hitting your ceiling)? My net is 7.5' tall and I play it about 6' out. I am concerned that I would clear the net often if it were 10' or more away. Thoughts?

Comment

• HeMan
          HeMan commented
          Editing a comment
          Hey Gamer

The foot switches are Scythe Triple Foot Switches and I got them on Amazon. They are connected via USB (I have an extension running from my laptop to a USB bridge behind my mats because the cords on these switches isn't very long. The software is very rudimentary. Basically, you install the software, plug one of the switches in, program the pedals, unplug and then do the same for the other. Then you can plug both back in and they work! It took me a minute to figure that out since they didn't come with instructions, lol.

I use Almost Golf balls so my main use for the net is projection. Yes, I do hit balls over the net sometimes. If you are using real golf balls, enclose the whole thing to include some form of ceiling protection.

Hi Heman,

Im a couple of days away from finishing my build and just wondered what bulbs you use in the lamps over the sensor pad? I have read a few different opinions on LED v CFL bulbs.
        Also do you recommend using 2 lamps as opposed to using just 1?
        Great setup.

Comment

Working...
        X