Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Iron set ?? Need your advice/recommendation please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Iron set ?? Need your advice/recommendation please.

I currently have a set of Titleist AP3s with XP95 regular flex shafts. I just took them to my local PGA superstore for a shaft fitting as my consistency with them recently has not been great to say the least. During the fitting they put me into a stiff flex shaft and same AP3 head as what I have and I was shocked at how much straighter and no more wayward over hook was taking place so when I asked the price to change them out to the DG105 s300 shafts it was more than half of what I paid for them to begin with.

So this got me into looking at purchasing a new set of irons instead.

I am retired military, so naturally I started looking for those that provide a discount. Taylor Made has 25% off for military and first responders, Callaway has 15% off and a few online stores and the PGA superstore will offer 10% off pretty much all brands but Ping and Titleist.

Here are the irons I am looking at in no specific order:

Taylor Made P790s (25% off = full set less than $1000)
    Ping I500s ($1100 at Dicks)
    Callaway Apex (15% off)
    Srixon Z785 (10% off)
    Sub70 699 (around $500 for the set)

I have hit all of these except the Sub70 699s and would not have any issue with any of them.

So just from a price standpoint I am thinking either the P790s or the Sub70 699 (they have a 639 that looks sharp too though )

My question is has anyone tried any of the Sub70 irons or specifically the 699s? Not finding many reviews of them online. And second part would be what would be your choice or what would you recommend?

Thanks!

You can read about best sets in these reviews https://golfclubguru.net/king-cobra-golf-clubs-review/ and https://golfclubguru.net/best-ping-golf-clubs-review/ Maybe you'll find additional information on this site too. I read it always before choosing something. You can buy used set if you play not very often like I do.

Comment

If you are retired military, you should check out PXG... I know a LEO guy who got a sick discount on a full iron set from PXG.
      Parsons Xtreme Golf (PXG) makes the worlds finest golf clubs and equipment, engineered for golfers at every level and custom fitted to maximize performance.

Comment

• Burtgolf
        Burtgolf commented
        Editing a comment
        That is a great deal at 50% off!! Thanks!

apex 19. amazing irons

Comment

SkeetShooter just logged into their website just WOW !!. The PXG 0211 are within my budget and they look sharp too! By chance do you know which ones LEO got? I am guessing just by the brand alone these are stellar clubs. And with their discount they are cheaper than the rest on my list except the Sub70 699s.

Thanks for the tip again!

Comment

No problem bud. If I recall, they were the predecessor to the 311 P (Players Irons) I think he is a 5 or 6 HCP golfer, and I remember when I saw them, I was like, "Dude you must be hiding a ton of money from your pension, because that set is like $4k!" Granted he has the full boat, wedges, Putter, woods, Irons (no driver though, still rocking his Ping.)

i do recommend though, if you can find a certified fitter, to go to them. PXG is a club that you really need to hit first... I am a crappy golfer 16hcp golfer who plays old TM gamers... Hitting his irons was a shock to my system... Watching him and my buddy who is a 8HCP (formerly a 4HCP) golfer, was like being inside the ropes at a PGA event. Pick a spot, execute the swing, the ball is going there.

I would recommend the fitter because depending on your game, you might not need a 4-pw set. You might be able to go with a 4-6-8-pw depending on your gaps. You can save a little coin there and maybe put that towards a nice SM7 Wedge set instead.

A lot of guys say that even at the very top end of PXG's they are very forgiving.

Comment

Always worth trying Wilson Staff Tour blades - imho, a premium forged golf club that matches anything out there for a MUCH lower cost.
            They also look stunning.

Comment

I’m a fan of fitting and new irons , even of pxg

that said if you hit you current heads with new shafts well
              make sure you utilize that combination into your fitting
              and make sure if your fitting pxg you use and independent fitter like club champion , then if you like the pxgs go to pxg for their fitting
              if you go straight to pxg there will be no comparison to other clubs but the do a great full bag fitting

Comment

I would definitely look at what PXG might do for you!

Comment

Forgot all about this thread... UPDATE:

I went with PXG for the entire bag (except the bag itself but am planning on getting their hybrid bag once its on sale). Sold the AP3s for enough I was only out about $250 for the whole new set

The fitter was excellent, ended up spending an hour and half for the fitting. Hitting everything till he found something he liked, then he would change it and have me hitting again and constantly changing until he was finally happy with the shaft and head combo. I ended up getting 5-AW in the 0211 irons in TT Elevate stiff shafts, 22 and 17 degree hybrids, 15 degree 3 wood and a fitted Bat Attack putter with the 1.5 super stroke grip. About a week after I ordered they ended up putting their 0311 forged wedges on sale and ordered the 54 and 58 degree in those along with their driver through my fitter. He said he did not think I needed the driver compared to what I currently have (Epic Flash) but at that price point I told him to order it anyway

Can say now that I have numerous SkyTrak sessions and 7 actual rounds with them .. without a doubt these are the best irons, hybrids, 3 wood and putter I have ever played! No more nasty hooks for me now! They just added the Gen 2 0311 irons to the hero pricing at a crazy cheap price which is tempting me but I do not see letting these 0211s out of my bag anytime soon!

If you qualify for the PXG Heroes pricing I HIGHLY recommend using it!

Comment

Just got an email that the Heroes pricing is for everyone now. The 211's are $95 per club vs normal $225.

By any chance, can you post a pic of the club at address for the PW, 7 and 5?
                    Originally posted by Burtgolf View Post
                    Forgot all about this thread... UPDATE:

I went with PXG for the entire bag (except the bag itself but am planning on getting their hybrid bag once its on sale). Sold the AP3s for enough I was only out about $250 for the whole new set

The fitter was excellent, ended up spending an hour and half for the fitting. Hitting everything till he found something he liked, then he would change it and have me hitting again and constantly changing until he was finally happy with the shaft and head combo. I ended up getting 5-AW in the 0211 irons in TT Elevate stiff shafts, 22 and 17 degree hybrids, 15 degree 3 wood and a fitted Bat Attack putter with the 1.5 super stroke grip. About a week after I ordered they ended up putting their 0311 forged wedges on sale and ordered the 54 and 58 degree in those along with their driver through my fitter. He said he did not think I needed the driver compared to what I currently have (Epic Flash) but at that price point I told him to order it anyway

Can say now that I have numerous SkyTrak sessions and 7 actual rounds with them .. without a doubt these are the best irons, hybrids, 3 wood and putter I have ever played! No more nasty hooks for me now! They just added the Gen 2 0311 irons to the hero pricing at a crazy cheap price which is tempting me but I do not see letting these 0211s out of my bag anytime soon!

If you qualify for the PXG Heroes pricing I HIGHLY recommend using it!

Comment

Originally posted by wbond View Post
                      Just got an email that the Heroes pricing is for everyone now. The 211's are $95 per club vs normal $225.

By any chance, can you post a pic of the club at address for the PW, 7 and 5?

Thats awesome they are doing that for everyone now!

Here are a few I took when I got them in and then the three clubs you requested. Let me know if your looking for something specific. Click image for larger version

Name:	20191203_195824resized.jpg
Views:	1489
Size:	109.7 KB
ID:	253879 Click image for larger version

Name:	20200321_194430.jpg
Views:	1418
Size:	133.2 KB
ID:	253880 Click image for larger version

Name:	20191203_195839.jpg
Views:	1450
Size:	146.1 KB
ID:	253881 Click image for larger version