Announcement

Collapse

TGC Tour - Congratulations!

Congrats to @Monovision (GROSS) and @Joe_S (NET) winning the TGC1 2020 SUMMER TOUR - Rocket Mortgage Classic!

Join this weeks TGC1 2020 SUMMER TOUR - John Deere Classic with 2 rounds at Banff Springs (Pro Tee): https://golfsimulatorforum.com/forum...-deere-classic
See more
See less

TGC 2019 4.0.7 - Club Selection Makes a Huge Difference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TGC 2019 4.0.7 - Club Selection Makes a Huge Difference

I've had Protee for about three years and in that time I had thought that club selection didn't make a dramatic difference in distance. But after upgrade to TGC 4.0.7 (from 4.0.2) I noticed a considerable difference in distance depending upon the active club selection. I'm not sure it was related to 4.0.7 or whether I just noticed it. I'm usually pretty good to select the correct club for logging purposes, so it might well be the latter.

In my case, for example, I can hit a four iron about 190 yds, but if the club selection is "Driver" it'll go approximately 230. Selecting four iron from the club selection menu brings the distance back to what I consider normal. I had thought that Protee, for a "normal" swing type, would use sensor and camera data to control trajectory and distance and ignore the club selection, used only for logging.

Has something changed or has my assumption always been incorrect?

Thanks!

Theres zero chance that's happening unless something is completely wrong

pick a PW and hit a driver and see if it goes 120 or whatever you hit it.

club selection is there from the steam game

then again I know a few guys who can select driver and hit a 7 iron longer

Comment

• mthunt
      mthunt commented
      Editing a comment
      Wheels, he has ProTee. I can see club selection mattering on that system.

• Jwheels9876
      Jwheels9876 commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh boy .........didn't know that's how that system operates

• bkLounge_Golf
      bkLounge_Golf commented
      Editing a comment
      Present!!!!!!

Originally posted by dclindner View Post
    I've had Protee for about three years and in that time I had thought that club selection didn't make a dramatic difference in distance. But after upgrade to TGC 4.0.7 (from 4.0.2) I noticed a considerable difference in distance depending upon the active club selection. I'm not sure it was related to 4.0.7 or whether I just noticed it. I'm usually pretty good to select the correct club for logging purposes, so it might well be the latter.

In my case, for example, I can hit a four iron about 190 yds, but if the club selection is "Driver" it'll go approximately 230. Selecting four iron from the club selection menu brings the distance back to what I consider normal. I had thought that Protee, for a "normal" swing type, would use sensor and camera data to control trajectory and distance and ignore the club selection, used only for logging.

Has something changed or has my assumption always been incorrect?

Thanks!

Club selection shouldn't matter on non floor sensor setups but I can see it mattering with floor sensors.
    My Courses:
    Weston G&CC by mthunt RCR
    London Hunt Club L mthunt RCR
    Park CC Lidar mthunt RCR
    Sunningdale GC Robinson L RCR
    Sunningdale GC Thompson L RCR
    Twin Peaks Desert Fictional
    Muirfield Village (liDAR) First Ever Lidar course
    Country Club of Castle Pines (liDAR) RCR
    The Sanctuary GC ProTee L RCR
    National GC of Canada RCR
    Mississaugua G&CC mthunt RCR
    Shaughnessy G&CC L mthunt
    mthunt Range Fictional
    The Meadows 5047 mthunt Fictional

Comment

mthunt Your comments are interesting to me. I can see Protee using club selection to constrain readings, ensuring they're within reasonable limits, but to have it unduly influence the results doesn't seem reasonable. Isn't that why it has a floor sensor and cameras? Hmmm.

I'll do more checking to validate the results I'm getting now, but given that I've just noticed a real difference, I'm assuming something has changed.

As an interesting point, I asked the Protee Support team what changes were made between 4.0.2 and 4.0.7 and their brilliant answer was "lots of bugs were fixed". It would be nice to know what changed, what was added, what issues were resolved, etc...

Comment

Originally posted by dclindner View Post
        mthunt Your comments are interesting to me. I can see Protee using club selection to constrain readings, ensuring they're within reasonable limits, but to have it unduly influence the results doesn't seem reasonable. Isn't that why it has a floor sensor and cameras? Hmmm.

I'll do more checking to validate the results I'm getting now, but given that I've just noticed a real difference, I'm assuming something has changed.

As an interesting point, I asked the Protee Support team what changes were made between 4.0.2 and 4.0.7 and their brilliant answer was "lots of bugs were fixed". It would be nice to know what changed, what was added, what issues were resolved, etc...
        I don't know a lot about ProTee but I upgraded to that version and it's not happening to me. Some systems require you to select clubs to give the correct numbers. Bubba22 What do you think?
        My Courses:
        Weston G&CC by mthunt RCR
        London Hunt Club L mthunt RCR
        Park CC Lidar mthunt RCR
        Sunningdale GC Robinson L RCR
        Sunningdale GC Thompson L RCR
        Twin Peaks Desert Fictional
        Muirfield Village (liDAR) First Ever Lidar course
        Country Club of Castle Pines (liDAR) RCR
        The Sanctuary GC ProTee L RCR
        National GC of Canada RCR
        Mississaugua G&CC mthunt RCR
        Shaughnessy G&CC L mthunt
        mthunt Range Fictional
        The Meadows 5047 mthunt Fictional

Comment

• Bubba22
          Bubba22 commented
          Editing a comment
          Protee doesn’t measure spin but when one selects vcam for spin it uses the various measured values (ball speed, club speed and launch angle ) to predict the total spin. This is an algorithm that I helped develop with Protee and it actually works pretty well. Spin axis of course is based on the face to path ratio.

Protee calculates spin using club data so you should select the club you are hitting to get the most accurate spin and thus, carry distance. If you have a vcam you can select “use vcam for spin” in the interface and This allows you to just have an iron selected when hitting irons and a wood selected when hitting woods. To be clear selecting "use vcam for spin" does not mean the vcam is measuring spin, its just using the launch angle to help calculate spin instead of using the entered loft of the club selected. I am not sure how you were selecting driver and hitting irons in any version of TGC before and getting anything that would be an accurate distance.
        Last edited by jhp016s; 02-19-2020, 03:57 PM.

Comment

• gene438
          gene438 commented
          Editing a comment
          The above is correct....also, you have the ability to go into settings in Protee and adjust or boost by individual club. Perhaps someone has gone into your settings and messed things up.

• dclindner
          dclindner commented
          Editing a comment
          jhp016s That really means to me that if a person has a vcam, "use vcam for spin" should be enabled. I'll give it a go, as well. I see no downside using the actual launch angle over static numbers.

gene438 The settings appear okay. I do feel it's likely the spin calculation that is causing the difference. I plugged some numbers into a distance calculator I wrote a couple years back and it predicted the distances almost to the yard.

This was very helpful! Thank you all!

• Bubba22
          Bubba22 commented
          Editing a comment
          Club speed, ball speed and launch angle are all used to help calculate spin when vcam for spin is used.

Update: I've enabled the "use vcam for spin" and that certainly changes the spin factors calculated. For typical irons, I find the spin rate a little high now, but it definitely varies with launch angle. The lower the launch angle, the lower the spin. I'm finally seeing some check spin come into play now with wedges. Nice to see.

Anyway, I will play with this a bit more. I'm not entirely certain the spin is accurate, but I'll get a better feel for it over a bit of time.

Comment

There are a few reasons for selecting the club in use.
          The system has fallback routines to deal with errors.
          If for some reason a camera fails to detect ball then it can fall back to a default value to ensure launch in the game.
          Wrong club selected in this case would mean wrong fall back data used.

The system will try to correct what it classes as a suspect value so if a wedge hit and driver selected it may think something has been detected incorrectly and try to correct.

If you use the club sliders for tuning in carry etc then these values will only take effect if you select the club.

Ball spin is calculated and in the most up to date interface versions it's very very good.

Also in the newest version issues with high flop shots and wedges flying to far for some users has been corrected and looks great

Comment

• dclindner
            dclindner commented
            Editing a comment
            I upgraded the protee interface and I'm encouraged by improvements in pitching. Although I only had four or five pitches through nine holes last night, there was some consistency in shots in the 40 to 65 yard range. The distances seemed rather reasonable to me.

So while I was encouraged by the pitching performance, flop shots still seem off. A half swing 60-degree iron shot with a recorded launch angle of about 54 degrees went 75 yards. That happened a few times.

I had thought chipping was always pretty good given that the club would generally never pass the ball before the ball passed the front sensors. It's the club passing the front sensors before the ball that I understand caused previous issues. Not really sure, though.

Anyway, I hope for more improvements.

• Rovers1883
            Rovers1883 commented
            Editing a comment
            ProTee Golf Simulator
            Guys,
            This is an issue when the club passes the ball track first and is actually to do with an conflict of data being sent out of sync when the club passes the ball track first.
            This combined with some system setting would mean system confusion under certain scenarios

This has been worked on and version 3.17b is the current working version which corrects this.
            I have hit hundreds of wedge shots full on flop shots, flop chips etc and not one single miss.
            Big shout out to Lieuwe at ProTee UTD for being a genius.
            We worked on finding the parameters where fails would occur and re work routines to correct the issue and all looks very good.

If updating from anything prior to 3.16p you will need a clean install.
            Email me jamie@proteeuk.co.uk and I will instruct you until we get it on the Protee CSC site.
            If I have time when you contact me, I will do it for you.

• Rovers1883
            Rovers1883 commented
            Editing a comment
            It was on wedge problems with tgc just copied the message for you

Vcam.is always used for launch angle regardless of vcam for spin on or off.
          the vcam is always used.
          Fall back values that are pre set are not used when vcam is on.

If you know your average launch angles you can change the fall back values to suit so if there is a fall back scenario then it will reflect more accurately.

Comment

• Olaf
            Olaf commented
            Editing a comment
            Intersting, I am having similar issues with my 3-wood (on real course I get 235-250) in protee/TGC I get 165-200. Now that being said I have to try putting in club selection properly ( I usually don't, so might be my problem) but still new to the system. Just installed it in Dec 2019, however just in time for the whole corona-virus scare.
            On that note: Stay healthy, practice social distancing and good hygiene.

hey guys, i have a uneekor, my shot recording is tracking to TGC 1 and not TGC 2019.....my TGC version is 4.0.4....i can't find out how to update to 4.0.7, which i understand fixes the problem....any help would be much appreciated!

Comment

• tostorli
            tostorli commented
            Editing a comment
            I see the same thing, and it does represent my Tour Event column as long number, not the name of the Tournament.

Just a heads up when using the new 3.17b interface. You may need to set drag for sw and lw at 1.5 and set from the settings file (alt E) min chipping angle to 28. A future version will already have these set

Comment

• dclindner
            dclindner commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you, I'll play with these parameters and pass along any other findings. :-)
        Working...
        X