Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Video recording software - Kinovea - it's awesome

Hi guy

Just wanted to shout out to Kinovea as a GREAT program to do video replay. I use IDS uEye cameras with Skytrak + TGC and it's awesome.

I've used MotionView, V1, Swinguru Pro, Trackman TPS and other software... this is awesome and FREE!!
    [url]http://www.24-7.golf[/url]
    AUS: +61390057975
    USA : +14698449353
    Flightscope and SkyTrak Distributor

Mind giving us some more specific information about your set-up.

Are you using this for real time playback or for looking at recorded video after a practice session.

What are you displaying on? Is it being used at the same time that a sim is running with TGC?

How much space is required for this to work?

Maybe post a few images of the output and video analysis.

Comment

Sure.

So I run a gaming i7 PC with a GTX970 card with 4 monitor support. I run 2 x 23" touchscreens from HP and an Epson projector. One of the best things is the motherboard which is MSI H170 Gaming M3 Motherboard - has 2 separate USB controllers, and I can add a 3rd via PCIe if needed.

As mentioned, I have Skytrak and The Golf Club which I project onto Monitor 1 and projector. I run the video on monitor 2. The cameras is an IDS uEye 122xLE monochrome via USB2 connection. I have a 4mm lens which records perfectly from 3m away from the person (with another 2.7m to the screen from hitting position).

This is what one of my stores looks like (this is a panorama photo when I still had Trackman)

TGC + kinovea run at the same time no problems. Skytrak is connected via USB3 port (so on a different controller) to the camera, so no issues with data. I do have issues when I connect Swinguru Pro and Kinect camera. It does not work with Skytrak connected at the same time at the moment. I'm looking into a solution.

I use Kinovea for real time video... so walk to touchscreen hit REC, go hit shot, go back to touchscreen hit STOP. Watch replay, draw lines, etc. Rinse, repeat.

Comment

Thanks for sharing. Good info about what you are doing and how you are doing it.

I was hoping for a system similar to Swinguru (I have the Lite version), where you don't have to hit REC and STOP.

Swinguru Lite is OK, but since it only gives the face on view it is of limited use to me. I was hoping to get an "automatic" down the line video capture and analysis tool.

Comment

you can set kinovea on a delay and draw lines on top of live video so that you can hit a ball, look up and watch your swing but it's in real time, no slo mo, and you only see it once unless you were recording. on recorded videos you can do everything that V1 does and more in kinovea.

i'm going to look for a voice command program and try to make it recognize the sound of a ball strike. then use a program like autoit to start and stop recording at a certain time interval to automatically capture each swing.
          Last edited by inorkuo; 11-16-2016, 05:36 PM.

Comment

I finished the autoit script and found a program called audio zone trigger that runs the script when the audio level goes above a set threshold. I normally run Kinovea on a secondary monitor but shadow play only records the primary screen so for the purposes of this recording, I ran TGC and Kinovea together on one screen.

Audio Zone Trigger - $26
            PS3Eye Cameras x2 - $20
            Kinovea - Free
            Autoit - Free

You need to do plug the cameras in a particular order for kinovea to see both but otherwise not bad for $46.

Comment

• inorkuo
              inorkuo commented
              Editing a comment
              Not difficult at all if you are looking for one playback screen and one recording screen. My dtl camera is about 7 feet from the ball. I'm looking into a wide angle lens swap for that one bc its not great with the driver. The other cam is 9 or 10 feet.

• Cklguy2013
              Cklguy2013 commented
              Editing a comment
              Hey inorkuo, was that shot registered on protee or your ES16?

• inorkuo
              inorkuo commented
              Editing a comment
              that was on the es16 but that one was having issues. my replacement was delivered today.

I do something similar using autokey. I record then play back in slow motion automatically. Not too hard I think it took me only one evening including learning autokey. it's been quite a few years though so I may be forgetting some pain but remember it as being easy.

Sadly the next versions of Kinovea no longer support delayed recording so unless we can convince the developer to keep that feature new versions of kinovea won't work going forward.

Comment

• inorkuo
              inorkuo commented
              Editing a comment
              hey faulty, mind sharing your code? Seems like autohotkey and autoit are very similar. Bad news on kinovea going forward without the delay. I dont see how taking a feature out makes any sense. I'm heading over to the kinovea site to ask for the delay feature to stay.

I'm no expert in this area but have recorded a few videos with webcam embedded over golf sim software.
            I'm 99% sure I used https://obsproject.com and it's free
            Worked great for my videos on youtube and seemed to offer a lot of flexibility too.
            Could post a link to youtube to show my videos if I am allowed to show JPNG?
            Last edited by V8burble; 11-25-2016, 09:36 AM.

Comment

• inorkuo
              inorkuo commented
              Editing a comment
              I looked at the site but couldn't really see how it would be a good golf swing analysis program but I could be wrong. post the video of it in action.

• V8burble
              V8burble commented
              Editing a comment
              You are absolutely right. It's not a golf swing analysis program at all. It's video recording/streaming software that I use for embedding my swing onto the golf sim software for videos. I'd only skim read the title and thread and had thought this was more about video recording rather than swing analysis. Sorry

hey aja. your suggestion of automatically loading the last recorded video and slowing it down was great. you might have to tweak your delay in kinovea depending on your tempo. I have mine set to 6 seconds.

we had family over for thanksgiving and for the last few days, my brother and I used this setup while hitting balls and it was really helpful. with a line drawn on the shaft at impact, you can see if the club path is square, inside out, or outside in. along with the ball data, you can pretty much figure out what's happening with the face. thanks aja.

i've attached the executable and the autoit code.

Attached Files
            Last edited by inorkuo; 11-28-2016, 06:34 AM.

Comment

• aja
              aja commented
              Editing a comment
              Glad that my question was of value!

I'm probably not going to be able to use the PS2Eye cameras as I have less distance available. (But they are cheap enough that maybe I'll get one and try it out.)

You mention that you are going to try and get a wide angle lens. Maybe that will work in my case.

Keep us posted on your progress.

• inorkuo
              inorkuo commented
              Editing a comment
              are you able to hit driver in your setup? I have my hitting area set up so that I have about 1 foot of clearance behind me when swinging driver. i'll be ordering the parts to make the wide angle lens today. i'll let you know how that goes.

Hey thanks for sharing all this! So if I understand correctly... it's always recording and then when you hit it goes back 6 seconds to replay from there until the shot (and just after)? Overall, aweosme set up! I did a lot of work on my cameras today but found one of my bloody cameras has a busted USB port (pushed in)... I have a few firewire cameras left so might see if Kinovea can work with them (once I add some firewire PCI cards)

Comment

• inorkuo
              inorkuo commented
              Editing a comment
              it is not always recording. set kinovea's live delay feature to 6 seconds, and when a ball is hit, audio zone trigger launches the autoit script which then starts the recording. i could probably make the delay shorter and start the recording sooner in the script. i have it delayed a bit so i can watch the ball flight in tgc first and then look over to the other monitor to watch the swing in real time and then in slow motion but watching the swing in real time probably isn't important.

can you give some details on your cameras? how many fps? fov? how much?
              Last edited by inorkuo; 11-28-2016, 05:03 PM.

Thanks inorkuo - read https://www.kinovea.org/help/en/131.html and understood how it works!

I use IDS uEye UI1225LE monochrome cameras at the moment with a 4mm Tamron lens. They are supposed to go up to 120fps with a half size fov but I haven't figured out how to change that in kinovea... it only lets me select native resolution at 43fps.

I am going to work on it a bit more today. The camera + lens is around $600 each... not cheap. But they're industrial cameras... i probably need to play with a few more settings as in Trackman TPS software they worked great!

Comment

i don't know if anyone's tried to use the kinovea script but come to find out, it doesn't work well on all computers because they don't all run at the same speed. when my brother put it on his computer, it was all messed up and i had to change the timing in a bunch of different places for him. just in case anyone else decides to use it, i've modified the code to make it accept the following parameters:

there are 7 different parameters you can pass to the script
              1. delay before starting the recording in seconds. default is 0 seconds.
              2. the total time you want to record in seconds. default is 5 seconds. (when i put 3.1s on my computer, i get 3.1s of recording. on my brother's 5 seconds turns into 3. not sure why.)
              3. delay before trying to load the last recording. default is 0.1 seconds. (my computer needs 0.01s here. my bro's needed 0.1s)
              4. delay to give your computer time to load the last recording before hitting play. default is 5 seconds. (i need to give my computer at least 0.6s to load the file. my bro's needed 4.5s. you can also use this to give yourself time to watch your shot in TGC)
              5. delay before reducing playback speed. default is 0.5 seconds. (i like 0.75 here because i don't mind if the early backswing is in real time)
              6. delay before returning focus to TGC. default is 3 seconds.
              7. playback speed in %. default is 25%.

if you run recording.exe with no parameters or with the incorrect number of parameters, it will run with the default settings. i run mine with the following options.
              recording.exe 0 3.2 .01 7 .75 3 25
              Attached Files

Comment

hey aja, i got the 2.1mm wide angle lens in the mail yesterday. it's got a bit of the fisheye look to it so i ordered a 2.5 and a 2.8 to try as well. here's how the 2.1mm looks vs the stock lens with driver and iron.

Comment

• FaultyClubs
                  FaultyClubs commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Ya, ps3eye cameras are readily avaliable and about $5. These are better. I think i paid $30 for mine with free shipping from china so might be worth checking around.

• inorkuo
                  inorkuo commented
                  Editing a comment
                  hey FaultyClubs. does the camera really do 120fps at 640x480? i first saw it on a kinovea tweet, but there it said the camera could only do 100fps at that res. how is the shaft blur? got any slow mo videos you can post?

• FaultyClubs
                  FaultyClubs commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I've never checked the actual frame rate. Faster than ps3eye for sure but I never checked its actual frame rate either. Can freeze the shaft if you want but so could the ps3eye. Rolling shutter. Same vintage and sensor manufacturer as ps3. Image quality is ok but not great for HD but then again it has the typical $2 plastic lens. You can buy better lens for both cameras. Sorry no videos...I burn all mine after looking at them! Lol

link for audio zone trigger
                General purpose sound detection and microphone monitoring software. This software listens to the sound and detects when it peaks, then executes some actions such as recording, executing commands, logging data...

Comment

I was going to post but forgot....

Recommend ToneDet from nch software instead of audio zone trigger. It detects sounds not voice and the frequency range can be tailored for the sound of your clubs or impact screen. Tailor made for what we want and it's free (or at least was when I got it...hopefully still available).

Comment

• inorkuo
                    inorkuo commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Dangit faulty you're killing me...
                Working...
                X