No announcement yet.

Recommended golf societies for TGC2019?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommended golf societies for TGC2019?

Hi all,

I've just set up my skytrak and TGC2019, albeit I can't play for a few weeks until my outbuilding is built but thought I'd get it all ready to go.

With that in mind I was wondered which societies I should be looking to join. I love the idea of playing the sim regularly and like the competitive side to golf so looking for an active society.

In addition to the standard format societies are there any societies which have team play, 4bbb etc? I'm from UK so most likely need UK society for that due time difference?

Thanks

I am not aware of any societies that use team format (although that's a really cool idea).

The time difference doesn't matter as you do not have to play at the exact same time as other competitors. Society tournaments are generally left open for around a week and you just have to complete your rounds at any time during that week.

One thing I have found difficult is not knowing the course yardages that the societies are set up at. I have joined a few societies where every par 4 is 480 yards and I've ended up just quitting after 6 holes because it's apparent that they're playing from 7,300 yards. I'd love it if there was a way where I could see the yardages for each society's schedule. I know when I'm getting set to play it will show the color of the tees that we're playing from but that's generally useless unless you know the yardages of those colors. I also joined one society where the greens were set to firm and fast. I noped out of that pretty quick.

You can search for societies by sorting by popularity and just scrolling through to see the number of members and their schedule. I think if you join multiple ones and do sort of a trial basis with each one you'll narrow it down to the ones you enjoy most.

The solo societies are also a lot of fun. You're only playing against computer-generated players but it still allows you to be competitive and see how many of those scores you can beat. Plus it gives you full control of the schedule, courses, conditions, etc.

Comment

Yeah I'd hoped they would of had team events similar to some club competitions, some knockout 4bbb or leagues etc. Shame.

Firm and fast, wow. Thanks for the advice, yardage is a good thing to look out for, it needs to be fun which 200 ish yards into each green sounds like it would get frustrating rather quickly.

I'll have a bit of a play about with them see which ones best suit then, appreciate the overview đŸ‘đŸ»

Comment

Wizard of Coz Noonan society of course.
        Schedule consists of mostly under 6500 yard courses but occasionally over 7k. Protee society follows tour schedule. Brace short course. Lots of par 3 courses.

Comment

• 3on3putt
          3on3putt commented
          Editing a comment
          The thing about the protee society I don't quite get is although they follow the pga tour schedule, most of the tournaments are not played at the real course. For instance, they had the "rbc heritage" this past week .... but not at harbour town. I don't know why they do this.

• mthunt
          mthunt commented
          Editing a comment
          The Heritage was on the spring tour for TGC still because the actual heritage was postponed. It’s not a popular course with the sim guys so I used a different one. I didn’t want to use Harbor Town twice in 2 months. That’s why. I try to use the real course when available and if they are good courses. Not all courses are available or accurate.
          Last edited by mthunt; 06-23-2020, 05:48 PM.

Yeah, I was just thinking the same thing, I wonder why they don't play the tour on the same courses. We have the courses so I wonder why they don't play at those courses.
        Japan
        Tochigigaoka Golf Club
        Konosu Country Club (L)
        Olympic Country Club R&H
        Olympic Country Club F&R
        Olympic Country Club H&F
        Olympic National East (L)
        Taiheiyo GC - Gotemba
        Shonan Seaside CC

US
        Torrey Pines North Course - L
        Torrey Pines South Course - L
        Scarsdale Golf Club (L) - NY
        Montauk Downs - LiDAR - NY
        Golf Club Fossil Creek L - TX
        The Tribute (LiDAR) - TX
        Boca Raton Resort & C (L) - FL
        RB GC & Resort v2 (L) - TX
        River Creek Park Golf Club (L) - TX

Others:
        Bali National Golf Club 3

Comment

Are they following the original schedule with the courses, but just changed the name of the tournament to align with the PGA Tour?

Did they still have Harbour Town tournament in April as it was originally scheduled?

Comment

• mthunt
            mthunt commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes. We used Harbor Town in April. Didn’t want to use it again. Guys here hate it.

Harbor Town was played at its original date back in April.

Comment

Originally posted by DS12 View Post
            Are they following the original schedule with the courses, but just changed the name of the tournament to align with the PGA Tour?

Did they still have Harbour Town tournament in April as it was originally scheduled?
            The schedule can be seen here and none of it makes sense.

http://golfsimulatortours.com/schedu...0SUMMER%20TOUR

Charles Schwab at Chicago Golf Club instead of Colonial.

RBC Heritage at Montreaux instead of Harbour Town.

Travelers at Tobacco Dunes (Tobacco Road) instead of River Highlands.

Rocket Mortgage at Royal Melbourne instead of Detroit.

John Deere at Banff Springs instead of Deere Run.

And on and on and on. In fact, literally zero of the tournaments are actually played at the real course, which for the life of me I can't understand. What's the point of following the "PGA schedule" then?

Comment

• DS12
              DS12 commented
              Editing a comment
              I see what you're saying. Prior to COVID they did follow the tournaments and course more closely, but there were some outliers. I wonder if they know a certain course is nicer than the real one on TGC and use that instead. Can't make sense of all of them, just was a thought. Also, the Canadian Open was slated for last week instead of the heritage, which is why I thought they might have just changed tournament names and not courses

• mthunt
              mthunt commented
              Editing a comment
              This is a TGC1 link

I have just started playing the societies but, at the same time, played local rounds on Colonial and Harbor Town GC 2020 following the tour. I would imagine that there are very nice LiDAR courses created for those that are played on the PGA. I agree with 3on3putt that it would make much more sense to have them aligned with the actual courses. I think RBC Heritage was played at Wild Dunes and it was a much harder course than Harbor Town. Very very tight fairways and extremely undulating greens. I thought Harbor Town was much more enjoyable, plus, it was just more fun to play the course as we had already seen a few days of coverage.
            Japan
            Tochigigaoka Golf Club
            Konosu Country Club (L)
            Olympic Country Club R&H
            Olympic Country Club F&R
            Olympic Country Club H&F
            Olympic National East (L)
            Taiheiyo GC - Gotemba
            Shonan Seaside CC

US
            Torrey Pines North Course - L
            Torrey Pines South Course - L
            Scarsdale Golf Club (L) - NY
            Montauk Downs - LiDAR - NY
            Golf Club Fossil Creek L - TX
            The Tribute (LiDAR) - TX
            Boca Raton Resort & C (L) - FL
            RB GC & Resort v2 (L) - TX
            River Creek Park Golf Club (L) - TX

Others:
            Bali National Golf Club 3

Comment

Originally posted by 3on3putt View Post

The schedule can be seen here and none of it makes sense.

http://golfsimulatortours.com/schedu...0SUMMER%20TOUR

Charles Schwab at Chicago Golf Club instead of Colonial.

RBC Heritage at Montreaux instead of Harbour Town.

Travelers at Tobacco Dunes (Tobacco Road) instead of River Highlands.

Rocket Mortgage at Royal Melbourne instead of Detroit.

John Deere at Banff Springs instead of Deere Run.

And on and on and on. In fact, literally zero of the tournaments are actually played at the real course, which for the life of me I can't understand. What's the point of following the "PGA schedule" then?
              The link you posted is for TGC1. The harbour Town is horrible. Trees literally touch each other across the fairways. There is no good colonial, detroit ect. This tour is not widely played anymore with less than a dozen a week. The cataloge of courses is very limited. I chose mostly well known playable courses.

Now, here is the link for TGC2019.

http://golfsimulatortours.com/2019/s...I2ZWYxYTdkYjI=

You'll notice a lot of courses match up to the real ones because there are more options in TGC2019. It's the main tour. I suggest you join it. There's often 200-300 players in a week.
              My Courses:
              World Par 3's by mthunt
              Toronto GC (L) mthunt
              Burlington G&CC by mthunt
              Weston G&CC by mthunt
              London Hunt Club L mthunt
              Park CC Lidar mthunt
              Sunningdale GC Robinson L
              Sunningdale GC Thompson L
              Muirfield Village (liDAR) First Ever Lidar course
              Country Club of Castle Pines (liDAR)
              The Sanctuary GC ProTee L
              The National GC L mthunt
              Mississaugua GC L mthunt
              Shaughnessy G&CC L mthunt
              Markland Woods CC mthunt
              Hidden Lake Old L mthunt
              Magna GC L mthunt
              Barrie CC L mthunt
              mthunt Range

Comment

Originally posted by mthunt View Post

The link you posted is for TGC1. The harbour Town is horrible. Trees literally touch each other across the fairways. There is no good colonial, detroit ect. This tour is not widely played anymore with less than a dozen a week. The cataloge of courses is very limited. I chose mostly well known playable courses.

Now, here is the link for TGC2019.

http://golfsimulatortours.com/2019/s...I2ZWYxYTdkYjI=

You'll notice a lot of courses match up to the real ones because there are more options in TGC2019. It's the main tour. I suggest you join it. There's often 200-300 players in a week.
                Thanks for the link. So why does Protee market the old tour then and not this 2019 tour? (unless they do and I'm just missing those posts). This link you posted is definitely more along the lines of what I've been looking for.

The TGC tours website is a bit confusing and I think a lot of people get lost (myself included lol). For instance, on the homepage, you click on the "Join the Tour Today" button and it just takes you to the homepage for this site. It also seems to default to the TGC1 site, which also throws you for a loop. Also, the drop down menu under "tour societies" doesn't allow you to scroll so you can't see anything below the Brace short bus tour (I assume there are more under that one). I think the site could do a better job of guiding new users around. But anyway.....

What do I search for in TGC to find this society? I saw a couple of Protee societies in there (Q-school and exhibition I believe). I don't recall seeing this one but may have just missed it. I'll try looking for "Protee united."

Also, what kind of yardages are these typically played at?

Thanks again for the help!

Comment

Originally posted by 3on3putt View Post

Thanks for the link. So why does Protee market the old tour then and not this 2019 tour? (unless they do and I'm just missing those posts). This link you posted is definitely more along the lines of what I've been looking for.

The TGC tours website is a bit confusing and I think a lot of people get lost (myself included lol). For instance, on the homepage, you click on the "Join the Tour Today" button and it just takes you to the homepage for this site. It also seems to default to the TGC1 site, which also throws you for a loop. Also, the drop down menu under "tour societies" doesn't allow you to scroll so you can't see anything below the Brace short bus tour (I assume there are more under that one). I think the site could do a better job of guiding new users around. But anyway.....

What do I search for in TGC to find this society? I saw a couple of Protee societies in there (Q-school and exhibition I believe). I don't recall seeing this one but may have just missed it. I'll try looking for "Protee united."

Also, what kind of yardages are these typically played at?

Thanks again for the help!

The TGC1 Tour still exists for the odd person that didn’t upgrade to TGC2019. Not many play it but the option exists. Most of us have both but the courses are limited in 1. All of ProTee marketing is for TGC2019. The pages are linked by clicking TGC1 or TGC2019 at the top of the page. You’re right that some things are strange. With all these past tours clogging up the page the drop down has that issue for some. It doesn’t scroll.

In TGC search for ProTee. You’ll find ProTee Unitied, ProTee Exhibition and Q school. Exhibition and q school are short. Usually 6000-6200. United is usually 6400-6600. It’s the biggest and best tour. It matches the PGA when the course is available.

The reason the site sends you here is because this is the main site. The tour is only for people that are already around and know their way about. There is no sign up as you just join a society and play. The rules are posted here.
                  My Courses:
                  World Par 3's by mthunt
                  Toronto GC (L) mthunt
                  Weston G&CC by mthunt
                  Park CC Lidar mthunt
                  The National GC L mthunt
                  Mississaugua GC L mthunt
                  Markland Woods CC mthunt
                  Hidden Lake Old L mthunt
                  Magna GC L mthunt
                  Barrie CC L mthunt
                  mthunt Range

Comment

Originally posted by mthunt View Post

The TGC1 Tour still exists for the odd person that didn’t upgrade to TGC2019. Not many play it but the option exists. Most of us have both but the courses are limited in 1. All of ProTee marketing is for TGC2019. The pages are linked by clicking TGC1 or TGC2019 at the top of the page. You’re right that some things are strange. With all these past tours clogging up the page the drop down has that issue for some. It doesn’t scroll.

In TGC search for ProTee. You’ll find ProTee Unitied, ProTee Exhibition and Q school. Exhibition and q school are short. Usually 6000-6200. United is usually 6400-6600. It’s the biggest and best tour. It matches the PGA when the course is available.

The reason the site sends you here is because this is the main site. The tour is only for people that are already around and know their way about. There is no sign up as you just join a society and play. The rules are posted here.
                    Perfect. Following the PGA schedule with big fields and yardages in the mid-6000s is exactly what I was hoping to find. I'll be joining tonight. Big thanks!

Comment

Maybe Wiz is biased but Noonan courses this season are spectacular. Noonan biggest baddest oldest society!

Take that Mthunt 😆

Comment

Originally posted by Wizard of Coz View Post
                        Maybe Wiz is biased but Noonan courses this season are spectacular. Noonan biggest baddest oldest society!

Take that Mthunt 😆
                        3 events this season in Noonan are named mthunt. I approve of this tour. LOL
                        My Courses:
                        World Par 3's by mthunt
                        Toronto GC (L) mthunt
                        Weston G&CC by mthunt
                        Park CC Lidar mthunt
                        The National GC L mthunt
                        Mississaugua GC L mthunt
                        Markland Woods CC mthunt
                        Hidden Lake Old L mthunt
                        Magna GC L mthunt
                        Barrie CC L mthunt
                        mthunt Range

Comment

• Wizard of Coz
                          Wizard of Coz commented
                          Editing a comment
                          LOL
                          Word is the Mthunt courses are top notch!
                      Working...
                      X