This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY Halogen Lights System

I'd like to begin a thread specific to making your own halogen light system because comprehensive answers don't already exist and it looks like the hardware link is dead over on the "How to Install a ProTee Golf Simulator" topic. Please provide links to widely available products at local hardware stores if possible.

Subtopics to address are:

1) What style of lighting hardware lend themselves to the optimal setup for Protee Base Sensors and Putting Sensors (e.g. Track Lighting, Can Lights, DJ Lights, etc...)?

2) What type/size/wattage of halogen bulb would be most appropriate for item (1)?

Based on my current research, I've come up with the suggestions links while keeping functionality, price, and availability at the forefront of decision making.

1)
    ---a)PAR30 Track Lighting (Use two of the three)
    ---b)PAR 30 Can Light

2)
    ---a)PAR 30 75W Bright Spot Light
    Last edited by Maverick; 09-16-2014, 09:33 PM.

Nice find Richard.

Comment

I pulled the trigger and placed my order today! I have a question on ceiling height. Per the diagram the perfect ceiling height is 10.1'. Mine is 11' so I have been advised to drop my ceiling a bit. How exact do I have to be? I'll build a soffit and mount the lights (Protee/AR111 bulbs)) and Hcam on that soffit. Just not sure how far to drop the ceiling. I can't tell from the drawing if the Hcam and lights are flush with the 10.1' ceiling or if they are about 6" lower. Does 6" really matter and what's worse, too high or too low??
      Central Time

Comment

11' should not be a problem. Our commercial simulators are 11' in height. These sims use the same Par spots with ar111 bulbs that shipp with the Base Packs. We mount the H-Cam at 11' as well.

Comment

Ceiling height of 11' will work fine. Get going soon Throttle and join us online.

Comment

I would recommend no higher than 10 ft.

Comment

Already put the 2x6/mounting bracket up at 11'. I'll try everything at that height and if it don't work, back to the hardware store BTW curious as to why you prefer 10' , can you elaborate on what issues I may encounter by being at 11'?
              Central Time

Comment

As the lights get higher, the intensity goes down. Might work fine or you might get intermittent problems.

Comment

Do you guys have your lights in series after the transformer or do you have a separate transformer for each light? Thanks!

Comment

That will depend on the type of track that you have. If you have a 120v track with low voltage lights, you'll need light fixtures with the transformers built-in.

Comment

Thanks for the info Zmax. I got the lighting sorted out. Now onto the next thing!

Comment

I found another, better track light for putting over the main sensor. It's a PAR 36 light that can use Very Narrow Spot bulbs. Quantities are limited right now, but it works very well. I'm updating all of my sims with this light fixture. These lights with very narrow spot bulbs are very similar to the lights that ProTee provides in the Base Pack 2.

You can get the bulbs at:
                        http://www.buylighting.com/36-Watt-P...t-p/z13581.htm

These bulbs have a much narrower beam than the Narrow Spots bulbs you can get for the PAR 30 track lights I posted a while ago. The narrower beam helps keep light off your body and the club shaft to make it easier for the interface to read the ball streak instead of the club streak. I'm still using the PAR 30 lights over the putting sensor for their wider beam so it helps to create a better ball streak.

Here are pics showing the difference.
                        Before:
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	20150306_154817.jpg
Views:	352
Size:	7.4 KB
ID:	33843

After:
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	20150306_154746.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	9.7 KB
ID:	33846
                        Last edited by Richard_Askren; 03-06-2015, 09:58 PM.

Comment

Richard,

Fixture looks great, but be carefull with the bulbs. Especially the closed ones. We prefer to use the "open" ones.

Your bulb is 500 lumen. The bulbs we use are more powerfull, 3000+ lumen. Example here for a 50w 12v 25 degrees bulb.
                          Add some drama to your lighting with the 50-watt GE 97535 AR111 halogen lightbulbs. Fantastic deals only available at 1000Bulbs.com!

The search string on 1000bulbs.com is AR111. This will show bulbs similar to the ones we ship. We use Sylvana or Osram bulbs, but they are all the same high powered ones.

Comment

Originally posted by ProTee United View Post
                            Richard,

Fixture looks great, but be carefull with the bulbs. Especially the closed ones. We prefer to use the "open" ones.

Your bulb is 500 lumen. The bulbs we use are more powerfull, 3000+ lumen. Example here for a 50w 12v 25 degrees bulb.
                            Add some drama to your lighting with the 50-watt GE 97535 AR111 halogen lightbulbs. Fantastic deals only available at 1000Bulbs.com!

The search string on 1000bulbs.com is AR111. This will show bulbs similar to the ones we ship. We use Sylvana or Osram bulbs, but they are all the same high powered ones.
                            What is the beam angle of the lights that protee ships? Is it the 24 degree that the link has? Would one of the ar111 bulbs with 4 or 8 degrees work? Didnt know if protee had done any testing with a more narrow beam. Thx

Comment

Thanks for the reply! So something like the fixtures in the link below would be better if you're stuck with having to use track lighting?

Find the best in LED Track Lighting at 1000Bulbs.com. Shop for low prices & fast shipping on track light fixtures that will brighten up your space today!

I went with track lights in my sims since they're easier to replace and I followed the guidelines in this thread. The low lumens hasn't been an issue for me. But now I'm intrigued by the difference between the open and closed bulbs. Would the open bulbs have less spread than the closed bulbs? I'm trying to get less light on the club shaft and body of the golfer to minimize camera miss reads.

Comment

Originally posted by drewpac View Post

What is the beam angle of the lights that protee ships? Is it the 24 degree that the link has? Would one of the ar111 bulbs with 4 or 8 degrees work? Didnt know if protee had done any testing with a more narrow beam. Thx
                                Yes, we ship the 24 degrees lights. We tested 12 degrees with the putting mat, which is working ok. Its important that all sensors get enough light.

Comment

Working...
                                X