Has Skytrak Improved Your Game?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has Skytrak Improved Your Game?

Just wondering what people thought of the Skytrak in terms of their game improvement.

This is my first winter having the Skytrak and the driving ranges have just opened in town.

Seeing my ball in action for the first time since September was extremely satisfying as my ball striking and accuracy was a lot better.

Last year on the range I would spend half hour and hit some good shots and if I stayed out too long I would start shanking, get too tired, and completely lose my swing.

Yesterday I hit 4 buckets of balls when there is no way last year I would have had the golf stamina or consistency to get through 4 buckets of balls. (I am still sore as hell today)

I couldn't be happier to start this golf season with some stamina and improved consistency. Also, I have finally learned my distances with my clubs.

I could barely hit my 3-hybrid, 4 iron, 5 iron, 56, and 60 degree last year and I feel comfortable hitting all of those clubs now and know the distance they should hit.

My 3-hybrid has become my favorite club and I can't wait to crush it on the course this year without the savage hook

I was shooting in the low 90's for the most part with the odd high 80's last year while playing half the clubs in my bag lol. I have high hopes this year playing with my full set to go a lot lower.

How have you guys benefited from your simulator?

It helped me alot.
    BTW. I am selling my Skytrak, so PM me please.

Comment

I bought a skytrak this Christmas, I can only hit irons in my basement. I have been out golfing finally this week and my irons are the best they have ever been. usually I don't hit good irons until around July and this year in my first rounds they are better than late season. If you have good things you are working on skytrak can improve your game a ton over the winter. If you are just hitting balls with no plan then I would suppose it might not help as much. I have been recommending it to several people I know.

Comment

I played real golf yesterday for the first time after just playing TGC, JNPG, and Skytrak practice for the last few months. I'm a 12 handicap and using the SIM definitely improved my iron game. I stuck two par 3's within a few feet and made 2 birdies on the round. My sand game and touch around the greens was a bit off, but my distance and confidence standing over my irons was priceless. My only complaint was my driver. I've been trying too many different swings using the SIM and don't feel good at all standing over the ball with my driver in hand. Not to mention I have a new driver (Callaway Rogue) that I'm still getting use to.

I did notice that my fade in real life wasn't nearly as dramatic as it is on the SIM. Playing JNPG, my drive goes 30+ yards offline, but in real life it was only around 10 to 15 yards offline. Now I just need to figure out how to get my draw back.

Comment

I've worked hardest on my pitching. I use ST for 7 particular shots: 8I, 9I, PW, GW and SW @ 9 o'clock and 8I, 9I @ 10.30. I KNOW how far all these carry on average now and I know how often I miss each shot. I've seen dividends already on the course.

I want to map all my new irons (Callaway Rogue) but I have to do this quite slowly as if I hit too much my golfer's elbow gets bad ouch ouch ouch

Comment

• Mark72
            Mark72 commented
            Editing a comment
            If you have a CCE mat, consider changing to a Divot Action insert to eliminate golfer's elbow. I got one a few months ago and have had zero elbow issues this spring even though I'm hitting twice as many balls (last year had to scale back due to the pain!).

I think it definitely has. as long as your practicing for the better. Trying to hit 60 80 100 yard shots. Trying to hit it straighter and working on clubs.
          Noticing what the ball is doing and trying different things in the comfort of your own home/sim room.

Comment

Shot 80 for the first time in my life after using it for the winter.
            i usually play a lot even in the winter. My ball striking is so much better with using skytrak.

Last summer i was shooting around 120. My putting is still my weak link. That’s usually what I work on before a round, due to the fact I am always hitting on the skytrak.

Comment

I love this thread Keep 'em coming!!

Comment

Originally posted by skytrakali View Post
                I've worked hardest on my pitching. I use ST for 7 particular shots: 8I, 9I, PW, GW and SW @ 9 o'clock and 8I, 9I @ 10.30. I KNOW how far all these carry on average now and I know how often I miss each shot. I've seen dividends already on the course.

I want to map all my new irons (Callaway Rogue) but I have to do this quite slowly as if I hit too much my golfer's elbow gets bad ouch ouch ouch
                Ooooohhhh man, you are going to love the next release.

Comment

• SkyTrak_Seth
                  SkyTrak_Seth commented
                  Editing a comment
                  It's possible, but that's probably a ways out.

• Dan McWhirter
                  Dan McWhirter commented
                  Editing a comment
                  And a putting green that kicks in putting mode!

• JackedUpSwing
                  JackedUpSwing commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I 2nd this. This would be an AMAZING feature. Knowing distances on uphill-downhill approaches to greens is something I struggle with.

I could go on and on. My kids are competitive, but we simply can't match the budget of some of their competitors whose parents spend over 6 figures annually on their children's development.

My 10 year old daughter had developed a nasty hook over the winter. I fired up the ST practice range and showed where ballspeed, spin axis and HLA was on the display. I told her to swing the gap wedge so the ball speed was 65 mph, spin axis less than 15, and HLA less than 5. I left her to her own devices, and she called me back in 20 minutes. Zeroed out swing. So I repeated with pitching wedge but higher ball speed, then 9 iron. Once she was dialed in, I switched to target mode, set it to 80 yards and she was scoring bullseye after bullseye. Will continue with rest of clubs tomorrow, then we will hit the course.

Comment

With a video lesson series combined with practice and playing on the SkyTrak with sims, I've recently put down three IRL rounds of 87, 87 and 84 and a couple in the low 90s (cold, wet windy). I was usually mid-90s, occasionally busting 100 and rarely breaking 90 just barely. All I wanted was to consistently shoot bogey golf but now I have my eyes on breaking 80. Wowza! The hurt shooting 84 was that I had seven birdy putts but made only one...damn putting!...not too bad really because they were lipping out or just missing.
                  Meanwhile, on the sim programs, trouble awaits and I still shoot mid-90s to over 100...and that's with all those crappy shots that don't get read by SkyTrak (free auto mulligans). I attribute those results to: (1) the mat, a thick DuraPro, which for any club/mat contact occurring into and at ball contact simply knocks out distance and accuracy, (2) the "indoor" swing effect, with plenty of room to swing lights out, my driver rarely gets over 175 yds (it don't do that IRL), and (3) the SkyTrak error band +/- on putting, which for a putt rolling straight at my real cup can miss by one to two feet either side of the hole, though rarely, it slips right in or lips out.

Comment

Originally posted by triplebogeysrbetter View Post
                    Shot 80 for the first time in my life after using it for the winter.
                    i usually play a lot even in the winter. My ball striking is so much better with using skytrak.

Last summer i was shooting around 120. My putting is still my weak link. That’s usually what I work on before a round, due to the fact I am always hitting on the skytrak.
                    Wow, great improvement, triplebogeysrbetter ! FYI, I just got a Putt-Out and I think it has tremendously improved my putting. I have only played two rounds so far this season, but I have only had one 3 putt.

Comment

• triplebogeysrbetter
                      triplebogeysrbetter commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Nice. Thank you! My son purchased a eyeline putting mirror and that is what I am trying now. It has helped a little. I need to focus on reading the speed and break.

• triplebogeysrbetter
                      Editing a comment
                      Also, ball striking I’ve been using the eyeline speed trap during my practice sessions on skytrak. It’s 99 bucks and takes a little getting use too.

im on the side of still new to the game and learning consistency and such so since getting a skytrak, the consistency has become much better knowing strike locations and sometimes knowing whats wrong and direction of shots whether pulling left or shanking right haha. but biggest thing has come down to consistency for myself that i have seen it get a lot better. next up im hoping this summer i can spend majority of spring summer on the putting practice green so i can stop getting 35-40 putts a round and maybe then i can shoot in the 80's possibly but more consistently in the 90's once i get that down maybe i'll move towards shop shaping and such.

Comment

• triplebogeysrbetter
                      Editing a comment
                      The 35-40 putts is killing me as well. Sucks when I can reach a 465 par 4 in two. Then three putt for bogey, just kills yall.

Last week. I hit a 5 iron from 195 yards away. It landed and stuck on the green, then I proceeded to play putt putt golf. Its a morale killer.

• dagratest816
                      dagratest816 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      its really is. when i first started playing golf i knew completely mishits and putting were just terrible. the worst thing when starting golf and you arent a prodigy is you mishit your driver you dont get good distance you in a rough you go 3hi you top it it goes 55 yards you now using an 8i or 9i and then you still not on the green you then chip on to the green and then dont chip close to the flag then you gotta 3 putt. a 7 on a par 4 and you just are so pissed the rest of the round, because you know you can hit all those clubs better but one hole you hit em all terrible. smh. that obviously leads to 110+ type scores but yeah for sure skytrak has definitely helped me in terms of ball striking i had to eliminate the fact of mishits completely. I'd rather take all my distance and go 80 yards left or right than come up short and have to hit again i feel like in my mind at least lol. knowing your misses and being consistent with those you can start to weed out other misses to help your golf game than letting every miss be in play, i believe at least.

Originally posted by dagratest816 View Post
                    im on the side of still new to the game and learning consistency and such so since getting a skytrak, the consistency has become much better knowing strike locations and sometimes knowing whats wrong and direction of shots whether pulling left or shanking right haha. but biggest thing has come down to consistency for myself that i have seen it get a lot better. next up im hoping this summer i can spend majority of spring summer on the putting practice green so i can stop getting 35-40 putts a round and maybe then i can shoot in the 80's possibly but more consistently in the 90's once i get that down maybe i'll move towards shop shaping and such.
                    Yeah I had lots of mis-hits like that last year. Pull out the hybrid to make up for a bad drive and then top it 50 yards lol. Frustrating for sure.

I've definitely had way less mis-hits and my misses aren't near as bad now on the Skytrak. So i'm hoping to not have those types of holes where its just bad shot after bad shot.

Putting and sand shots i'm nervous for this year. I know i'm gonna have to get to work right away on that when the courses open.

Comment

• dagratest816
                      dagratest816 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      couldnt agree more...and yeah i will need to be in the sand traps practicing as well along with my putting for sure. short game short game short game. best of luck!

I would say yes. I just played my first game of the season last week. My wedges was the one that shined the most. All winter I have been practicing 100 yards below and it showed on the course how great my distance control has improved. I was taking notes of how far my ball ends up from the flag from 20 to 100 yards away and I was getting an average of 14 feet. Before I think I was like 20 plus yards average for that.

Irons were also great, specially for the first game out in 6 months. Driver though was crap...that's more myself to blame that the ST.

Comment

Working...
                    X