WILD SkyTrak numbers compared to Trackman

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WILD SkyTrak numbers compared to Trackman

So I took my SkyTrack to a place with indoor Trackmans... The ball speed was pretty close between the two, but the spin numbers were over 1,000 off in many cases. Are there "dud" SkyTraks? Everything I've seen online has the two as bring really close. Today really shook my confidence in the SkyTrak. The other thing I've noticed is that when my SkyTrak is align mode, I have to cock the unit 20 degrees to the left to get the two lasers to line up. Is any of this normal?

What were the results on spin numbers? For example 7 iron what was trackman saying and what was skytrak reading?
    Ive seen videos with these doppler indoor mode not reading enough spin.

if you told me 7 iron skytrak was reading 6500 and trackman was reading 5500. I would believe skytrak.

Comment

Were there metallic stickers on the golf ball? Without the sticker the spin numbers are calculated and were probably displayed in italics. Indoors I'd take any spin number from a radar unit with a grain of salt.

Comment

Agree with the other replies. Indoor without metallic stickers, I will take ST spin over Trackman.

Comment

Also, the two lasers lining up is not a thing. It works for some units, but not others. It was a late addition, and the hardware is simply not aligned that way in some units. Hit some straight shots and align it to what you see. Then mark it out on the floor and align it the same everytime.

HTH

Comment

echo what others have said. Indoors trackman is garbage with spin, especially without stickers. People think trackman and assume it's the be all end all. It is for tracking full ball flight, but indoors, it's very suspect in my expeience.

Comment

Originally posted by grant2145 View Post
              Were there metallic stickers on the golf ball? Without the sticker the spin numbers are calculated and were probably displayed in italics. Indoors I'd take any spin number from a radar unit with a grain of salt.
              It was all over the map. There were many times the TM was higher than ST, but just as many that were vice versa. The TM was maybe lower most often with irons, but with the driver it seemed to be opposite.

Comment

Originally posted by grant2145 View Post
                They were not. It’s an indoor facility. I’ve never seen metal stickers on any of their balls. Would the sticker mark up the impact screens?

Comment

• GungHoGolf
                  GungHoGolf commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Hey grant2145, good info there. Interestingly, my Mevo gives pretty good spin numbers indoors and on the range without stickers, and I know looking at their patent (https://patents.google.com/patent/US9868044B2 - Henri Johnson is the CEO of Flightscope) that they use the seam of the golf ball as a radar reflector if no stickers are present. I'm surprised Trackman doesn't use the seam, too. I'm always careful to align the ball so the seam is perpendicular to the target line.

• grant2145
                  grant2145 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  This is also interesting:

If the Spin Rate is estimated/calculated,
                  make sure you are entering in the correct
                  Club Type (Driver, 4i, 8i, etc)

My Xi tour gives pretty good spin numbers compared to my GC2 without stickers but horrible spin axis numbers. Even with stickers, in short indoor mode spin axix doesn't seem to be very reliable.

• Wizard of Coz
                  Wizard of Coz commented
                  Editing a comment
                  It sure might cut down on the longevity of the screen.

I’m amazed by how accurate my Skytrak is and how it correlates with actual hitting the ball on the course. It’s freaky accurate. Maybe TM is just not made for the indoors just as Skytrak is not mage for the outdoors...

Comment

It goes without saying that Trackman is an amazing product, but as others have stated, indoors I would lean toward a photometric launch monitor's spin data simply due to the nature of the technology.

Comment

• TrueGolferNorth
                    TrueGolferNorth commented
                    Editing a comment
                    As an owner of both devices ( and use both side by side whenever I practice indoors ), I agree with Seth.
                Working...
                X