This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SkyTrak Launch Monitor

Discover SkyTrak™: The top home golf simulator and professional-grade launch monitor. Experience unmatched accuracy, reliability, and value for money. Shop now at the SkyTrak™ Online Store.

iPad app:

‎SkyTrak is the companion app to the SkyTrak Launch Monitor.
    Last edited by Maverick; 09-27-2014, 03:29 PM.

• It's really just the improved carry with mid irons and improved roll with all clubs. We are now working on all the sync issues. Thank you for the information in these posts - it is very helpful in our troubleshooting.

-Seth

Comment

• Thanks Seth. We all appreciate your information here on the forum.

Comment

• Actually I think the numbers might've too low. I usually hit an 8 iron 150-160. I was only getting 140 and when plugged into flight scope optimizer the numbers were around 10 yards short. Anyone else? Roll out is better though. More realistic for sure

Comment

• Originally posted by Tbernardmd View Post
          Actually I think the numbers might've too low. I usually hit an 8 iron 150-160. I was only getting 140 and when plugged into flight scope optimizer the numbers were around 10 yards short. Anyone else? Roll out is better though. More realistic for sure
          With you in the numbers being a little low at times on V1.8.5. My 8 irons were 7-8 yards shorter tonight than last night and my 5 irons about 15-17 yards. I'd guess that under V1.8 I may have been 5'ish yards too long, now perhaps 5'sh too short. Small sample size, need some more data.
          Last edited by Agolfman; 04-07-2015, 11:38 AM.

Comment

• I will give version 1.85 a try soon, but if the numbers are now on the lower side, this would be an extremely discouraging news. It makes me wonder if Skytrak is indeed optimizing their flight model, or simply adjusting the distance based on user complaints. When we complained that the wedge shots were too short, they made it longer, then screwed up the mid-iron distance. Then we complained that the mid-iron shots are too long, then they take 10 yards off... I wonder when the distances will be just right. If they take this long just to make the basic distances correct, I wonder how long it would take them to add more features.

BTW, why can't they just use the same algorithm in the flight scope optimizer? Is it due to copyright issue? It's a shame it's take Skytrak this long to get this right.

Comment

• I was wondering if it was just me and maybe i wasn't hitting it as well. Looks like i will need to compare some numbers again as i feel they are a little short as well.

Comment

• I just had a short session with 1.8.5. Overall, it improved quite a bit, but it is not satisfying. A flight model is not a simple equation, I guess, but if I dare to simplify the situation: if your spin rate goes over 7000rpm you will start noticing the shortage in distance. When Tbernardmd saw 10 yard shortage, I guess the spin rate might have been over 8000 for his (or her) 8 iron shots.

Here is my data (SW thru 7i) and the comparison for carry distance against Optimal Flight and Flightscope Trajectory Optimizer.
                Click image for larger version

Name:	skytrak1.8.5.png
Views:	275
Size:	14.0 KB
ID:	35241

Comment

• I hit for about an hour last night on V 1.8.5. Hit 8i through 5i. I'm a 3 handicap and feel like I know my distances fairly well and the numbers all seemed a bit short on carry (I never look at total with irons). So I pulled up Flightscope's trajectory optimizer on my phone and typed in the data for about 15 shots as I hit. I made sure the altitude settings on both Skytrak and Flightscope's T.O matched. Skytrak was consistently short on carry by about 5-10 yards. Super frustrating...

Comment

• Guys, this is not as simple as "taking 10 yards off". Tweaking a ball flight model is VERY complex. In our testing for v1.8.5, we hit live alongside Trackman, with someone (me) standing being lasered in the range, and also later ran the data through both Optimal Flight and VSeries. There is rarely a shot that lines up perfectly across all of those ball flight models - everyone is slightly different and it varies on the club being hit. I feel very good about our numbers now. Just please know that it was not "Eh, we'll take some off now". I will say that the natural reaction to coming from super-human mid-iron distances is to say "Ahhh, it's short!" That said, I will continue to take some of your data and run it. Always looking to make our product better.

Comment

• Just spent the past week in Florida, pounded Titleist NXT range balls all week into three specific greens on the range there - 162Y / 212Y / 110Y.
                      Just updated to 1.8.5 (BTW your About Version screen still says 1.8...) and it's definitely solved the excessive distance issue, and the rollout.
                      If you take the 2% error rate into account, on pure strikes it seems close, on bad ones it's pretty penal!

My 8i was consistently carrying the front of the green at 162Y. On the course it was the same. Using ST it comes out at 153-154 in this version. Using the numbers with FO it comes out to 157.2. At a 2% error rate then you get 154. so pretty close. It feels a tad shorter - the 6i i carry in real life is 178-180 comes out to 174-176 on this version now. And a PW is 140 for me, but barely eeks 132 on this version.
                      I'll have to crack open some new balls and try again later.

Overall though, good to have an update!
                      Last edited by wilson; 04-07-2015, 04:23 PM.

Comment

• hks888 - please be very careful publishing charts like that. I've been running some of your data and one that jumped out was the line with ball speed of 106. Optimal Flight reports 142.0 when I run those numbers, not 143. Another thing to note is that SkyTrak rounds several of it's numbers, including ball speed and carry...

I really do appreciate the work you are doing by running that data, just need to double and triple check, as I can't have typos working against us, even if it's only 1 yard

Comment

• Thanks Wilson for the update. Just FYI, PW shots should be completely unaffected in this version from the last.

Just want to check - is your SkyTrak altitude set to 400ft as well?

Good note about the versioning - Everyone please note: when we went through the Apple rejection mess, the versioning (text) in the profile area reverted to v1.8. So unfortunately, you'll have to live with that...but only for a few weeks.

EDIT - I just ran that shot through optimal flight and it shows 152.6...pretty darn close to 153 if you ask me
                          Last edited by SkyTrak_Seth; 04-07-2015, 04:39 PM.

Comment

• Yeah, I set to 400ft - but it should actually be 39 feet for Carrollwood says Google. I'll readjust and do it again.
                            didn't account for wind in real life. But i did also hit early in the morning a few times when it was around 65F, with no wind and I was hitting the front lip of the target green (so around 155Y give or take) which is near as dammit to ST on my session this morning.
                            I think it's looking pretty good!

Comment

• Is 400' somewhat standard in terms of validity of the readings? Or just something that's relevant for Wilson? FWIW, I usually set mine to "0", just to keep it constant and be on the low side of carry distances.

Comment

• Thanks! Good to hear. I was pretty shocked to hear people thinking it was short. I'm the first to admit I lost a little bit of man pride not being able to hit my 6 iron 230 anymore. But seriously, everyone has their "golden" launch monitor or flight model that they use a basis for comparison, but when you look at the whole field, there's quite a bit of discrepancy. Everyone thinks their's is right. When comparing to the real world and you have variables to take into account like wind, other weather parameters, your hitting surface (you spin the ball very differently off a mat than the grass), etc. you'll drive yourself mad trying to match up to the yard every time. It just isn't possible.

Comment

Working...
                                X