Announcement

Collapse

TGC Tour - Congratulations!

Congrats to @beau lester (NET) and @Marc Andre (GROSS) winning the TGC 2019 SUMMER TOUR - The Northern Trust !

Join this weeks TGC 2019 SUMMER TOUR - BMW Championship with 2 rounds at TPC @ Boston (Pro Tee) : https://golfsimulatorforum.com/forum...w-championship
See more
See less

Noise issues help please

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noise issues help please

Hi I purchased a skytrak in February and installed with a full enclosure system in my double garage. I love it, it is a great piece of kit and has helped my game no end. Around a week ago while playing at around 10:30 pm only hitting 8ciron on the range my neighbour knocked on the garage door and complained. Having spoken to them since apparently it has been an issue for some time since I installed and they hadn’t said anything. Does anyone have an ideas how how to reduce the noise? I’ve tried almost golf balls and foam one and these do register but don’t go anywhere near accurate distances. I have also thought about sound proofing but this seems very expensive. I would be very grateful for any advice or ideas that anyone may have and any help or thoughts would be hugely appreciated. Thanks

Soundproofing the garage is probably optimal, but if that is impractical you may have no choice but to use foam balls. Shot shape will be very close; you'll only lose a bit of distance, and with some testing you'll be able to know how that affects your distances on a real course. This thread may be helpful: https://golfsimulatorforum.com/forum...practice-balls
    Last edited by GmanJeff; 08-08-2019, 01:02 AM.

Comment

How far is he from your garage? Ask to be inside his house while a friend hits balls so you see how much work you need to do. You may need to buy a huge piece of foam to temporarily hang in front of the garage door while hitting and roll up while not using. If it’s a duplex with a shared wall you are going to have to work out use times with your neighbor

Comment

Is your garage door insulated?

Comment

Buy a decibel meter have someone stand outside your garage with it and hit a few shots, if it does not violate the city sound ordnance tell them they need to learn to deal with it.

Comment

Also get a cheap Rukket net off of amazon. Put it in frtinof your screen. Dramatically quieter.

Comment

What are you hitting into? I started out hitting into a vinyl tarp and it was REALLY noisy, went to a regular screen and it helped. My screen is suspended and when it hangs "loosely" the impact noise is much lower. Just a thought.

Comment

Mine is hung by bungee cords, reduces noise and helps extend the life of the screen.

Comment

You need to know whether its the club/ball impact noise or ball/screen noise first. If its the screen I'd recommend archery netting, it's silent.

Comment

Sorry you have to deal with that crap. You can hear me playing music, yelling at Wizard of Coz , hitting balls from inside the house, the street, and my neighbors house.

They've never said anything. I never say anything when they have their 50 person party once a month. It drives my dog crazy and blocks me in for the night.

I agree with htdumps if your not violating code tell him to pipe down.

Comment

But if you really want to. Hang some blankets or a sleeping bag (unzipped) behind the screen. It should reduce some noise.

Comment

Maybe look into using some R-20 to insulate your walls rather than paying for the premium cost of sound proofing material. That way you can kill two birds by making your garage more efficient. This definitely has my curiosity piqued though since I too hit in a 2.5 car garage. I am deaf so I have no idea how loud the noise is outside of my garage, but neither my wife nor neighbors have ever said anything. I have hit at all times of the day and night too.

Comment

There are two ways to treat sound. One is sound absorption the other is isolation. Absorption can be treated by covering the hard surfaces with carpet, ceiling tiles, blankets, unfaced insulation, etc. Isolation is harder, mainly mass. An extra layer of drywall on the party wall may help also they make drywall called quietrock and soundbreak that can do a good deal of isolation from sound transmitting. Bass and lower frequencys of sound are the hardest to isolate. They also make a product called green glue if you can't find quietrock. It's a viscoelastic polymer that converts sound energy into heat. It goes on a layer or drywall then applied to the wall. Quietrock EZ snap is the easiest to locate but can be 60 - 90 bucks a sheet for 4 x 8. Soundreak is cheaper with mold-resistant qualities. If it were me I would make sure to caulk all the bottoms of your walls and use soundbreak on the wall if it's already drywalled. Send me pictures of your garage and the location of the party wall. Make sure sound is not going under the garage door and in their window. If it is, you can hang a room divider curtain in front to help.

https://www.quietrock.com/

https://nationalgypsum.com/products/...ProductID=2353

https://acousticalsolutions.com/prod...4aAucyEALw_wcB

Some great info on sound design.

https://designcenter.nationalgypsum..../the-soundbook

Comment

Working...
                          X