Skytrak Distance is terrible with irons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skytrak Distance is terrible with irons

I just got Skytrak again for the second time, first time was IP issues finally got that worked out now I cant get any distance on my irons.

I aligned it properly and got the height almost perfect. All my irons are about 15 to 25 yards off. I tried:
    Pro V 1 balls
    changed altitude to 9000
    I have a driving range Mat I know that's not great but I tried hitting off other surfaces with the same results.
    The only thing I can think of is I'm playing in direct mode, does that make a difference.
    Any help would be great

Don't expect exact measurements with Skytrak. Last week I did a session comparing my Skytrak with Trackman. 80% of my iron 2 shots were 15 or more meters longer on Skytrak.
    What was the worst however: I did a few shots were I simply felt my clubface was open, Trackman showed a fade/slice like you would expect. Skytrak however was showing a baby draw.
    You really can't trust the Skytrak numbers in my opinion. It simply can not detect spin rates accurate enough.

Comment

• Morini
      Morini commented
      Editing a comment
      I did a side by side comparison indoors. They were close most of the time. When the spin differed, Id take ST over Trackman. ST spin. is quite accurate, as is VLA. Ballspeed is accurate for most part, but reads slow at very high ball speeds. HLA is the. most inaccurate metric.

• Otto Dibeneditto
      Otto Dibeneditto commented
      Editing a comment
      Im not looking for exact but at least close

• Jason Penner
      Jason Penner commented
      Editing a comment
      I am so tired of reading stupid post like this. Oh how I wish that was a way to block post

When I had skytrak it was spot on with shot shape and distance with irons. I would trust skytrak spin over trackman spin if trackman was indoors.

Comment

Originally posted by Otto Dibeneditto View Post
      I just got Skytrak again for the second time, first time was IP issues finally got that worked out now I cant get any distance on my irons.

I aligned it properly and got the height almost perfect. All my irons are about 15 to 25 yards off. I tried:
      Pro V 1 balls
      changed altitude to 9000
      I have a driving range Mat I know that's not great but I tried hitting off other surfaces with the same results.
      The only thing I can think of is I'm playing in direct mode, does that make a difference.
      Any help would be great
      Is it short in carry or total or both? Direct mode is not a factor.

Comment

• Otto Dibeneditto
        Editing a comment
        both not sure whats wrong it could be the mat, I hit my 7 iron and got 11000 spin

What about the mat im hitting off, im getting crazy ball spin numbers.
      But thanks all for the info I will keep working on it.

Comment

What are you comparing the ST results to? Expressed differently, why do you assume the ST #s are incorrect? How do you "know" the numbers you're expecting to see but have not?

Separately, if you are not used to hitting indoors, there is a generally accepted notion that doing so takes some time before one's swing provides results similar to what one may have been experiencing outdoors.

Comment

• Otto Dibeneditto
          Editing a comment
          Thats true, im just trying to get all the info i can. I normally hit my 7 iron 155 165. i cant get it over 140.
          My hitting area is 20 by 20 so its not a tight area. But thanks for the info

Originally posted by Otto Dibeneditto View Post
        What about the mat im hitting off, im getting crazy ball spin numbers.
        But thanks all for the info I will keep working on it.
        Mats in general spin less, not more than grass. Something is up.

In order to sort this out, probably best to start with a short iron. It also also a lot easier to check real carry if you do go outdoors.

If you post some ball data for say 7 iron, we could look at the reasonability of the numbers.

Comment

• Otto Dibeneditto
          Editing a comment
          I will send some pictures
          Thanks for the help.

My experience is that with good ball contact, carry distance is OK. In a fat shot (first contact with the mat) the distance is 10-15 yards shorter.

Comment

In reference to the "Stupid" comment above... I don't think we should assume that every post about a LM reading short should be immediately linked to a bad swing or poor contact. Having used a Skytrak for several years, been on this forum for a couple of years and golfed IRL plenty, I've been around enough to know the following:
          1. There are certainly good days and bad days on the course IRL where my distance can be off 10-15 yards either way
          2. There is such a thing as "indoor swing syndrome" especially for first timers, but even if you are just getting back in side after the outdoor season
          3. the skytrak, as great a device as it is, can be ABSOLUTELY finicky.
          4. I know the difference when I'm hitting well, and when I'm not.
          If the OP is getting spin of 11,000 with a 7 iron, there is something wrong... dust on the lens, leveling, lighting, the mat, or a ghost in the machine. My suggestion would be to turn it off for 2 days and try again (that's right... I'm giving first level tech support "have you tried turning the unit off and then back on again" " can you check to see if the unit is plugged in").

Here are some other solutions that have been given to me over the years:
          1. clean the glass with micro fiber cloth
          2. make sure there is nothing white in the background (shoes, something on the wall, etc.)
          3. Reset the machine (paperclip in the bottom)
          4. Make sure there is no light shining directly into the camera bays
          5. Have the markings on the ball face the ST (the label on the ball)
          6. Have someone else hit to see if the problem exists for them
          7. Bring the unit to the range and test actual distances
          I hope you find this a little more helpful. I can't tell you how grateful I am to all the people on this forum that have helped me with every little stupid thing I've asked. With the help of this forum I have built my own simulator and have hours and hours of enjoyment each winter.

Good luck.

--
          What Could Possibly Go Wrong?

Comment

• Otto Dibeneditto
            Editing a comment
            Thanks Mikemcd22 i will try them today, i also have been reading this forum for awhile before i built my sim room and have found it extremely helpful.
            I appreciate the help and do worry the stupid comment there is always one.

- Ron at GunghoGolf.com - we specialize in TrackMan, FlightScope, Foresight, Uneekor, SkyTrak, Garmin, Bushnell, TGC, and E6 Connect. 512-861-4151 or email hello AT gunghogolf.com.

Comment

• Otto Dibeneditto
            Editing a comment
            Thanks I think that is very true, Today I really spent some time the alignment of the sytrak unit. Gotta say all the info from everybody helped.
            Numbers went up and I was more relaxed hitting. Next will be a different Mat.
            I really appreciate everybody's help on this site.
            Thanks to all
            Sorry for all the questions

I am having the same issue. All of my Irons are 15 yards short on ST. I don't understand why ST don't add a boost feature.

Comment

How did you confirm this?
            Originally posted by skwierczynski View Post
            I am having the same issue. All of my Irons are 15 yards short on ST. I don't understand why ST don't add a boost feature.

Comment

When I had my Skytrak , I could occasionally get 10-11,000 spin with 7 or 8 irons. These were on what I felt to be good strikes. I had occasional bad reads with high spin and then the bad reads would disappear without me changing anything in my setup. Apart from those occaisonal bad reads my Skytrak was rock solid and gave me good results. I was careful with my set up using lasers for alignment and made sure everything was always level and followed the general code of practices for getting the best out of Skytrak. I eventually felt that my mat and Skytrak just did not get on from time to time. My mat was a Tee Turf type mat which can take a tee. I couldn't get high spin reads when using a tee so my assumption was that perhaps a particular type of strike when using that mat could occasionally confuse the Skytrak.
              My experience with Skytrak was good, I upgraded to GC2/HMT and have never seen the high spin bad reads with those units. I'm putting my bad reads down to my mat/Skytrak combination occasionally not getting on. Try to see if you get 10-11k spin with a 7 or 8 iron using a tee to eliminate any mat interference.

Comment

I use the skytrack and mevo at the same time. I do notice that the SPIN is off more than the skytrack than the mevo, meaning, the skytrack will say something like 3k spin and the mevo shows normal numbers like 8k for a 9iron etc. However, when it comes to carry, its about the same most shots. The OFF spin happens on wedges more than with 8 and down, and noticed it fails far less when i mark up the ball with black perm marker (like a soccer ball).. Note, when I marked up the ball with permanent marker, it left a smudge on the screen when i didnt let it dry enough

Comment

• Morini
                  Morini commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I don't know much about the mevo. Is it possible that the shot was thin, and the ST is the correct one? When I put the ST up against trackman, it was close most of the time, and when things were off, trackman may have been the problem.

Here are previous threads of other users who were experiencing the same thing and their fixes. Seems to be pretty common.

https://golfsimulatorforum.com/forum...than-real-life

https://golfsimulatorforum.com/forum...nces-are-short

Comment

Working...
                X