Inside swing syndrome or skytrak issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inside swing syndrome or skytrak issue

My distances are way off with skytrak. I’m 20 to 30 yards less with each club. The skytrak is level and it is the same height as the mat. I’m not sure what is wrong? Does skytrak need to be calibrated? Does the height of the skytrak matter and the distance to the ball. I’m roughly about 12 inches? Or is it indoor swing syndrome? How long does it take to go away?

If the Skytrak is level with the hitting surface and zeroed out in the tilt and roll then it's most likely indoor swing syndrome. Your distance from the unit doesn't matter as you are hitting from the red dot. Is this a brand new Skytrak? A Skytrak that is functioning properly might be a yard or two off, but certainly not 20 to 30.

Post some pics of some data. These threads pop up all the time and almost always get resolved after some user adjustment to the setup. Check out the Skytrak setup guide that Gung Ho Golf has. Always a good place to start.

Comment

Read these two articles:

New SkyTrak owners frequently complain about SkyTrak not reading their shot shape or distances correctly. It's so common that the community has coined a term for it, called "Indoor Swing Syndrome." Here's the Deal When you first start hitting balls indoors, there are many factors that can make you swing differently fro

The SkyTrak launch monitor is amazingly accurate, but you won't get good results until you have it aligned properly. Here is what 20 9-iron shots in a row look like from a good player on a SkyTrak - 20 perfect baby draws starting about 2.5-3 deg right, and all landing in a 30-foot circle. Before you can hope to achieve
      - Ron at GunghoGolf.com - we specialize in TrackMan, FlightScope, Foresight, Uneekor, SkyTrak, Garmin, Bushnell, TGC, and E6 Connect. 512-861-4151 or email hello AT gunghogolf.com.

Comment

I have a fiberbuilt matt. If I hit it fat, you lose lots of yards. Put some stickers on the face and check that you are striking the ball in the center of the face.

Comment

• jpotas
          jpotas commented
          Editing a comment
          Same for me, only I have a CCE mat. A slightly fat shot equals lost yardage and also a slight left pull hook. The mat contact causes lost club head speed and must cause my club face to close slightly as well.

I thought my distances might be off as well. Turns out, I was probably hitting fat on the mat. Once my ball striking improved, the distances sorted themselves out. The Skytrak wasn't the problem. I am pretty consistent now. I recently took my distances with several clubs that I am really confident with to a Trackman device and I get the same distances there. At this point I'm fairly confident in Skytrak's accuracy. Don't get me wrong, it still throws errant shots in there from time to time. I know damn well I don't crush an 8 iron 200+ yards but sometimes it'll do that. I just ignore those.

Comment

In two years, I’ve never seen what I felt to be inaccurate data displayed from my Skytrak. I get misreads with no shot and it’s like the device won’t do the math due to a misread and no shot is displayed. I think the device is ridiculously accurate

Comment

I experience the same struggles with my skytrak reading 20-30 yards short on most (not all) clubs. I've been swinging for two years now and have more than enough space vertically to rule out the inside swing syndrome. I've also read Gung Ho's tips for alignment, but I'm still extremely lost with how off my distances are. I usually get about 115-120 for a gap wedge, but I'm lucky if I can get near 100 with the skytrak. My driver distance with my arccos account is 288, but I'm happy to hit 250 with the skytrak. I've ordered a new mat in hopes that this will resolve my issue, but would definitely be open to any suggestions. Also, if I need to post some data, I'd be willing to do that as well.

Comment

Originally posted by JacobM21 View Post
              I experience the same struggles with my skytrak reading 20-30 yards short on most (not all) clubs. I've been swinging for two years now and have more than enough space vertically to rule out the inside swing syndrome. I've also read Gung Ho's tips for alignment, but I'm still extremely lost with how off my distances are. I usually get about 115-120 for a gap wedge, but I'm lucky if I can get near 100 with the skytrak. My driver distance with my arccos account is 288, but I'm happy to hit 250 with the skytrak. I've ordered a new mat in hopes that this will resolve my issue, but would definitely be open to any suggestions. Also, if I need to post some data, I'd be willing to do that as well.
              How long have you had the skytrak?

When you say 288 and 250, are you talking total distance or carry?

Post some data if you have some pics available. Also maybe a pic of your setup.

Comment

• JacobM21
                JacobM21 commented
                Editing a comment
                Sorry I should have clarified, I've been playing golf seriously for about 5 years now, but have had my skytrak for 2 years. 288 total distance in real life vs 250 total distance in skytrak. I'll log some shots today to try and post before tomorrow morning. Appreciate the help.

Whats up guys, so I've hit a couple balls and see pretty much the norm for what I was describing. Gap Wedge and Driver playing real short. Everything is just all over the place in the data so I don't know what to look for.

On the " 8 Hybrid " I was actually hitting 8 iron but I made the error and selected " 8 Hybrid". Those distances are usually about 155-160. Funny thing is sometimes in TGC I'll get a shot to register at 200 which I know is definitely wrong.

I'm learning the game and by no means a scratch golfer who wants to see every shot go exactly perfect when using the SkyTrak, but I do feel that there's something off. I've also attached a photo of my Arccos yardages.

Lastly, I've noticed I don't get too much roll with my irons in real life when hitting the green, but I just can't seem to get a ball to stop on these greens with TGC. Lots of questions, any advice is hugely appreciated.
              Attached Files

Comment

• Morini
                Morini commented
                Editing a comment
                TGC2019 is set to PGA Tour like greens. Trust me, you'd see some roll if you played those in real life too. Set greens in game to very soft and very slow. That will help, but some greens are still firm and fast.

Whats up guys, so I've hit a couple balls and see pretty much the norm for what I was describing. Gap Wedge and Driver playing real short. Everything is just all over the place in the data so I don't know what to look for.

On the " 8 Hybrid " I was actually hitting 8 iron but I made the error and selected " 8 Hybrid". Those distances are usually about 155-160. Funny thing is sometimes in TGC I'll get a shot to register at 200 which I know is definitely wrong.

I'm learning the game and by no means a scratch golfer who wants to see every shot go exactly perfect when using the SkyTrak, but I do feel that there's something off. I've also attached a photo of my Arccos yardages.

Lastly, I've noticed I don't get too much roll with my irons in real life when hitting the green, but I just can't seem to get a ball to stop on these greens with TGC. Lots of questions, any advice is hugely appreciated.
              So one of these things (skytrak) is measuring actual ball data while the other (arccos) is I guess using gps data to measure how far you travel in between each shot? I've never used arccos and am only vaguely familiar with it but I would have a hard time trusting that over an actual launch monitor that's capturing real ball data. If you hit a shot downhill, downwind and off a cart path the arccos is counting all that additional yardage and including it in your overall average? Seems like things could get pretty skewed. A few questions..

1. What elevation do you play at and is that consistent with your elevation settings on the skytrak?

2. Do you use the same golf ball indoors and outdoors?

3. What's your handicap?

4. Do you have any pics of skytrak data you can post?
              Last edited by 3on3putt; 01-26-2021, 01:42 PM.

Comment

Compare carry only. What is your driver ball speed on Skytrak? How far does your drive carry in real life. It is senseless to compare total distance because both sim and real life roll out depends on so many factors. Ball speed on Skytrak is very accurate.

Comment

• JacobM21
                  JacobM21 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Driver ball speed is usually around 140-150 in the skytrak. The PDF below has one errant shot at 190 which I know is not correct. I would love to compare carry as well, but unfortunately, I don't really trust that either since my wedges don't follow my carry distance in real life either. I've learned after a couple years with my skytrak i have real life carry distances and skytrak carry distances. The two are significantly different.

Also, another point of thought. in TGC, if I'm anywhere between 120 and 165 out from the pin, my clubs are 8 iron and 9 iron due to my learned skytrak distances.

I hear everyone say how accurate their monitor is, but I somehow have had a different experience. Don't get me wrong, I love being able to see my shots come up on a screen, but I just don't feel like I get to experience the accuracy that others rave about.

• Morini
                  Morini commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Let's say 145. That will give you 250 carry max. Also means CHS of around 97. Look at this chart: https://www.golfwrx.com/wp-content/u...SpeedChart.jpg

8 iron should be just below 140.

Elevation in TGC2019 is sea level I believe.

@3on2putt I've got a pdf from yesterday's swings below. I'm not completely sure what my carry distance is with my driver, but I know my carry distance with my gap wedge is not 100 yards as it should be around 115-120. Same goes for my 8 iron that it's not 130, should be more like 145-155. I'm using the same elevation as the city I'm in (for the driving range of course because I believe elevation is loaded for the courses in TGC.

Same balls are used both indoor and out.

My handicap is currently at 8.

I've got a friend from down the street who will be lending me his skytrak to test distances with both monitors.

Skytrak Yardage.pdf

Comment

@3on2putt I've got a pdf from yesterday's swings below. I'm not completely sure what my carry distance is with my driver, but I know my carry distance with my gap wedge is not 100 yards as it should be around 115-120. Same goes for my 8 iron that it's not 130, should be more like 145-155. I'm using the same elevation as the city I'm in (for the driving range of course because I believe elevation is loaded for the courses in TGC.

Same balls are used both indoor and out.

My handicap is currently at 8.

I've got a friend from down the street who will be lending me his skytrak to test distances with both monitors.

[ATTACH]n314419[/ATTACH]
                  I don't see anything in the skytrak numbers that looks suspicious (other than the drive that had 191 ball speed and a 0 degree launch lol). You do seem to hit it pretty low with the driver (low launch angle and pretty flat angle of descent). That will certainly help the ball roll out once it hits the ground.

As Morini noted, it's pretty useless to worry about total distance because roll out is just too much of a wild card. If you're carrying it 240 in the air with your low launch angle and flat angle of descent, it's quite possible the 288 total that you see on Arccos is right. But again, that 288 total is coming from many, many drives in all types of conditions and terrain and slopes and what not. I wouldn't rely on "288 total" to be any sort of gospel or anything. Some drives will roll out to 288. Some will roll out to 268. Some might roll out to 308. You can't expect roll out to be anything resembling consistent.

Those Arccos total numbers are pretty much PGA Tour average for your irons (tour average carry distance for a 5-iron is about 195; so you're total of 208 is likely in the ballpark of what you would see if they tracked total distance). The problem is, your ball speeds are nowhere near tour averages, which makes me suspicious of the Arccos.

I don't know .... the fact that you've had the Skytrak for a couple years and that you've always felt this way is unique as most of these "my skytrak is short" situations involve a brand new owner who is working through some setup bugs.

Do you have access to a swing speed radar?

Rather than taking your neighbors skytrak home with you, I would advise hitting on his skytrak in his simulator to see how the environments compare. That could maybe rule in or out an environmental factor.

Having owned a Skytrak for almost a year now, I am firmly in the camp of "it's extremely accurate and very true to my real life experiences." I've only had one other player (a low handicapper) hit on my sim and he was also impressed at how accurate it was. For whatever reason, some people have different experiences than others. But let us know how it goes with the other unit (and see if you can hit some shots in his environment as well).

Comment

• JacobM21
                    JacobM21 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I'm all in with your suggestions. I understand we're talking apples to oranges in regards to arccos and skytrak. I'll keep you all posted with my results with the new skytrak. At this point, I'm hoping it's my mat because I've read that if a mat is too "grabby" it can affect club direction and speed which could explain the iron shots being "off". It doesn't explain the driver distance. Also, I don't hit low drives out on the course, but I get less launch with the driver in skytrak. New mat is coming in soon so that's another test to go through in hopes of getting better data.

• Morini
                    Morini commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Hit irons off a short tee to eliminate impact of mat.
                Working...
                X