Announcement

Collapse

TGC Tour - Congratulations!

Congrats to @MN Gopher winning the TGC 2017 Summer Tour - BMW Championship !

Join this weeks TGC 2017 Summer Tour - TGC Tour Championship with 3 rounds at Oakmont Country Club (ProTee-Green) : https://golfsimulatorforum.com/forum...r-championship
See more
See less

Problems indoor vs outdoor accuracy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems indoor vs outdoor accuracy

Have owned my Skytrak for 3 weeks. Was not happy with my numbers for irons and especially my driver. Irons seemed off 10-20 yards from course and range experience. The driver I could never get over 200yards(I consistently hit over 270). Was considering sending unit back and trying something else after multiple attempts of aligning and leveling the unit. I took the unit to the range yesterday for the first time in a last ditch effert. I was very impressed with the ability of the unit to match the direction and distance of all my shots including the driver. The unit also never missed calculating a shot. This was done with range balls that were very dirty and dinged up. I don't know why my indoor numbers are so poor but I am willing to keep working if anyone has any suggestions please let me know. The unit is accurate and the problem is me or my setup. Guess ill have to look at my mat and lighting. Could not wait to look at the data at home but my unit would not sync the session.Ugh more problems.

The simple answer is to hit a shot with skytrak in practice mode, then go mess with the settings for temperature and altitude and press the replay shot button. That will show you the shot you just hit but with the new settings attached. This way you can tweak until you find the settings that give you the numbers you are expecting.

For me personally, as long as the spin, launch, and direction numbers are accurate I care very little if the distance reads shorter. If it's a consistent amount then you can account for it.

Note that there are no settings for the challenge modes, so you'll have to deal with the loss of distance there. But again just practice to a number that is 10 yards shorter than your real life numbers and you get the same results. And on course is all that really matters anyways, right?

Comment

Rbarthle, you are correct in saying that it only matters on the course. But sounds like soon there will be some kind of simulation software for the SkyTrak unit. At that point you're going to want to be close on your numbers. There is nothing like putting your game on the line and once the tournaments are set up you will be able to do just that. You can hit balls all day long on the range and never miss a beat and never feel any kind of pressure. But it becomes a new ball game when you're standing over a birdie or eagle putt. Many times those pressure barriers are what keep players from breaking 80 or 90 for the first time. For me those 20-30 yard chips when you just miss the green that are a crucial element in getting up and down is where the simulation brought my game up to snuff. Those are the shots that killed my game and when you're standing over a shot you're not comfortable with and it means the difference between an up and down for par or a bogey on the card, those are the things you experience many more times as you use the simulation. No amount of time on the range can prepare you for that shot. But simulation can, and will. And if you're numbers are off you can't take what you learn using the unit indoors to the course outdoors. When I stand over those chips now it's like clock work. I pick my landing spot judge the distance and swing just like I do indoors for that distance and rarely does it act any different outside than it does on my screen. If you don't intend on using the simulation your advice is spot on. But if you don't use the simulation you will miss out on the best the unit has to offer. That being experience over the shots, dealing with the pressure of risky shots, and the pressure you feel standing over those crucial shots and putts. Once you start using the simulation and joining in the tournaments you will see what I mean. The shaky knees, the wrenched up gut, all that will happen just like it does on the course. I have hit thousands of range balls practicing my fade with the driver and never felt anything standing over any shot on the range. But when I step up on the the first tee knowing I have to hit that fade or I am going to run through the fairway into the rough if I hit my draw shot that I am comfortable with my grip gets tight my gut turns and each year that gets better and better because of the simulation. This year I barely notice it. And it's all from having the shot many many times in our tournaments online. Don't ever mistake confidence for experience. But when they are both in the bag, now you got game my friend. Online play is the best thing that has happened to the simulators. Come join us this season and experience it for yourself. If you don't agree I owe you a beer. If you agree with me, welcome to the tour.
      Protee
      CST Time zone

Comment

In simulation all I want is for the numbers to be consistent. To play good golf you need to be good with all 14 clubs in the bag. So if playing a simulation I need to pull a 9i for a 135y shot instead of my PW, then that is what I do. It's what I sometimes have to do in real life, as it's no different than traveling to other parts of the country and playing in different conditions. If you can't adjust to different conditions and different results for that day, your game doesn't travel and is limited.

Having played sim golf many times, it's not a fraction of what golf on a real course is. Sim golf is a chance to keep your mind in the game and if you play with friends, a chance to spend time with them. But to compare a game where you get a perfect flat lie every single shot to the realities of a golf course is comparing apples to oranges. I have played and won in local tournaments on the golf course, and I cannot see an online tournament giving me close to the same rush. It's not the same game to me. I am glad that you find a thrill in online competition, and this is just another example of how golf is such a personal game.

For me, the winters will mainly be spent honing the problem areas of my game. Even if a simulator option was offered that was affordable, I would use it maybe 20% as much as I will use the practice and challenge modes. But the latest talk of simulator pricing has me thinking I won't be getting those packages. I already shelled out $1500 on this, I'm not dropping another $1000+ on a simulator package.

Finally as it pertains to the OP, I have noticed about a 10y drop across the board on full swings with my clubs in Skytrak. I have not seen one club more out of line than the others though. But I have seen partial shots pretty much spot on to what I expect. And those are the only shots I care about accurate distances. I know my full swing distances. But partial shots are where I want to hone in more on so having that be accurate is more important to me.

Comment

The problem I had with the short distances was that I was starting to believe I paid $1600 for something that was not much better than the Optishot. The range restored my confidence in the Skytrak. rbarthle is right I would not sweat a 10 yard difference in my irons. I do have a big problem if I cant get my driver to more reasonable reflect on course distances. I enjoyed the optishot for the simulation software although it is all over the place with its accuracy which led me to not want to use it as much as I could have. I am with Hoosier that when the simulation software comes out I want my numbers to reflect reasonably what I see on the course. That is what makes the simulation so much fun and not feel like i am at the range grinding out balls. I will play with the altitude and temperature settings thanks for the tip.

Comment

When simulation software comes out, this will be a moot point. The problem with Skytrak is in the algorithm, not the sensor. If the game software has a good algorithm, then your distances will be correct.

Comment

I think algorithm used by the sim software will depend on when it is set up to begin calculating. For instance with TM and e6, the sim software uses the TM data until the ball hits something in the e6 world and from that point forward the e6 algorithm is used.

Comment

That is a choice that the simulation hardware company makes....to either use their algorithm or the softwares. Flightscope is the same way.

I would think Skytrak, with the issues with their "toddler" phase algorithms, would use TGC's.

Comment

You are right goatbarn. TGC's algorithms / physics will be used during the entire ball flight (including bounce and roll). Skytrak send its "raw" data like ball speed, launch angle, direction, backspin and spin axis to TGC.
                  TGC Tours: http://golfsimulatortours.com

Comment

To the OP - I'm glad that your outdoor session restored your faith in SkyTrak. That said, the unit performs at its best indoors because of controlled and constant conditions. There's basically nothing you can do indoors to affect the lighting aside from maybe shining a spot light on the ball, but this would negatively affect the image processing. The system is using infrared light, which means you could even hit with the lights off and it would look just the same. To me, it has to be something with your mat setup or maybe you just swing different indoors than out (I've been in this business for a long time and trust me, it happens way more than people like to admit ).

Comment

I have had my Skytrak for about four months now. When I first got it, the yardages that I was recording were longer than my normal irons yardages by about 10 - 15% (my average 7 iron distance is about 160y - Skytrak gave me 170y-175y). In April, they came out with an update for the app that was supposed to correct this issue. Now my yardages are about 10%-15% shorter than my normal yardages (7 iron goes about 140y-145y) I like the product, but they need to do something to correct the yardages. I find myself swinging hard to get the ball to go farther on the launch monitor. This does not carry over well to the golf course.

Comment

Have you adjusted the altitude to your location?

Comment

• Kevin Gertz
                          Kevin Gertz commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I will try that, but I am not that far above sea level in PA

• Kevin Gertz
                          Kevin Gertz commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I tried changing the altitude level, and that changed my distances. I just don't see that as a fix for a unit that I spent $2K on. There has to be a solution through the software in the app.
                      Working...
                      X