Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a BALL!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a BALL!

Has anyone done any comparisons of what to put behind the impact screen in order to minimize bounce back? I've read hundreds of posts and it seems almost everyone puts something in back, and the general consensus is that this is good for screen longevity as well as reducing bounce back. Awesome. Will do. Buuuut.....

What is BEST? Please share your experiences with your experimentation.

Netting behind screen? Archery net behind? Moving blankets? Both? Old impact screen(s)? Foam on back wall?

What about spacing? Some people seem to hang them from the same anchor points, while some put gaps between layers... thoughts?

My sim-room-to-be is a tight but do-able space length-wise. Every inch will count, though, so I'd like to set my angle iron just 8" from the back wall. Some people have done it, so if that's you, I'd love to get your feedback as well.

Heck I'd gladly put my screen flush to the wall if I could get Patches O'Hoolihan to train me... "If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball!"

So I put the net up according to all the suggestions. My Setup was angle iron at 7.5" from the back wall (I had to push the envelope lol). I hung 2" memory foam from the top bar in back, then put sports netting stretched taught with bungees at first then with zip ties later (on sides and top); and finally my impact screen in front (carl's premium) tensioned moderately with bungees on sides & top.

Awesome!!! Can you say "no bounce back!"? Tested up to ball speed 140mph... drops dead. That's me swinging out of my shoes, btw... faster hitters would prob be ok too

Comment

OH! How should I hang the mattress topper memory foam?. mthunt vrpunk & anyone else who used a mattress topper... how did you keep it up? I'm about to try a duvet cover because my original try failed... thoughts?

I hung the memory foam using tarp clips spaced about 10" apart, and after about 5 days the foam topper ripped out of the clips and fell to the floor. I tried hitting without it just for kicks, and the bounceback was still reasonable, but probably 6"-24". Louder, too. I'll definitely be sticking to mem foam.

Anyway, the second time re-hanging I made a wild criss cross web cage out of duct tape and reattached to the tarp clips. Duct tape, 1001 uses, now a thousand and two. The problem? Duct tape doesn't like memory foam. It's slowly peeling away. I figure I've got another week before I'm picking the mem foam off the floor again.

SHE'S GOT HUGE.... TRACKS OF LAND!! (sorry... flashback to a monty python skit about building a castle on marshland... over and over and over lol... but I digress...)

so... back to the duvet cover idea... or other?

Comment

I sandwiches it between two 2x4 and hung in with rope.
        My Courses:
        World Par 3's by mthunt
        Toronto GC (L) mthunt
        Burlington G&CC by mthunt
        Weston G&CC by mthunt
        London Hunt Club L mthunt
        Park CC Lidar mthunt
        Sunningdale GC Robinson L
        Sunningdale GC Thompson L
        Muirfield Village (liDAR) First Ever Lidar course
        Country Club of Castle Pines (liDAR)
        The Sanctuary GC ProTee L
        The National GC L mthunt
        Mississaugua GC L mthunt
        Shaughnessy G&CC L mthunt
        Markland Woods CC mthunt
        Hidden Lake Old L mthunt
        Magna GC L mthunt
        Barrie CC L mthunt
        mthunt Range

Comment

mthunt A giant clamp! Great suggestion... cheap, too Thanks!

Comment

It’s upside down but.
            My Courses:
            World Par 3's by mthunt
            Toronto GC (L) mthunt
            Burlington G&CC by mthunt
            Weston G&CC by mthunt
            London Hunt Club L mthunt
            Park CC Lidar mthunt
            Sunningdale GC Robinson L
            Sunningdale GC Thompson L
            Muirfield Village (liDAR) First Ever Lidar course
            Country Club of Castle Pines (liDAR)
            The Sanctuary GC ProTee L
            The National GC L mthunt
            Mississaugua GC L mthunt
            Shaughnessy G&CC L mthunt
            Markland Woods CC mthunt
            Hidden Lake Old L mthunt
            Magna GC L mthunt
            Barrie CC L mthunt
            mthunt Range

Comment

I ended up with this and very happy on my 3 sims (no noise, no bounce, very cheap.

Note : the "order" on the picture is not the good one, it is 1) impact screen 2) Net 3) Braid

If this can help Click image for larger version

Name:	simu2.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	155852

Comment

Ykaar very nice! BTW Is that a duvet cover over a memory foam mattress topper or something else? Was “braid “ a typo?

Comment

I dont know how to name this in english sorry (braid comes from google translate ^^). This is what you have on your bed in winter to avoid cold when sleeping ! So duvet cover I would say in english

Comment

I (the wife) sewed web strapping on the duvet cover and hung it that way.

Good luck

Comment

• gnomike
                      gnomike commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thanks! I think I (the wife) may be getting a sewing assignment soon lol

gnomike I have a blanket and sleep bag behind mine. I'm still using the Carl's standard screen and the noise is very little. The bounce is minimal.

Tried the moving blankets, but I blasted holes into them.

I've thought of having the wife behind it. Might increase my ball and club head speed. JK :-)

Comment

• gnomike
                      gnomike commented
                      Editing a comment
                      LOL.... but i might also develop the tendency to throw my clubs "down range"... j/k

• triplebogeysrbetter
                      triplebogeysrbetter commented
                      Editing a comment
                      There's that as well.
                  Working...
                  X