Take out ceiling garage door opener and replace it with wall mount type

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Take out ceiling garage door opener and replace it with wall mount type

During my initial planning, I have to work with the garage door opener hanging at around 8 feet in the middle of the garage. This pushes me very close to the right wall and not centered to the screen. After some research I have decided to use a wall mount garage door opener. I will use the Chamberlain RJO70 and connected directly to the torsion bar. I want to post this just in case anyone that runs into the same issue.

I've been looking into this as well. Unfortunately for me the ceiling in the garage is only 8'11". My first thought was to hang the screen between the door tracks and use the wall mount door opener to alleviate the chain and old opener. I've since thought more about (for me), to either install a slide-to-side garage door or go with the side-hinge doors (manual) instead allowing me to remove everything on the ceiling for one half of the garage. I could then have a retractable screen with hitting area of 8'x12'

I researched the Chamberblain as well, and was quoted just over $600 (Cdn) for the wall mount unit (Liftmaster) including install.

Good luck with your setup. It sounds like a great plan.
    Last edited by Cruisin1966; 01-05-2021, 09:03 PM.

Comment

I had this issue. I went with a wall mounted type but I couldn't mount it directly to the shaft as there wasn't enough room on the sides. I used a gear and chain to mount the wall opener above the door.
      Attached Files

Comment

I'm getting 2 estimates for high lift garage door track (my ceiling is 12 ft), fingers cross that it works out.
        My Published Course:
        Green Harbor (L) - MA, Marshfield, MA
        Stow Acres North (L) - MA, Stow MA

Comment

The quote I received to install the wall mount garage door opener and move up the tracks was $1,200 with openers and parts included. I decided to replace the motor ($500+tax) myself and not move up the tracks as they don't interfere with my swing. It took 4 hours to install the wall mount unit.

Originally posted by nickfisher47 View Post
          I'm getting 2 estimates for high lift garage door track (my ceiling is 12 ft), fingers cross that it works out.

Comment

I see, you need 8.5 inches of room.

Originally posted by Triniexr View Post
            I had this issue. I went with a wall mounted type but I couldn't mount it directly to the shaft as there wasn't enough room on the sides. I used a gear and chain to mount the wall opener above the door.

Comment

Here are my before and after pics. I have no problem swinging or obstruction to my swing bay anymore. The $500 wall mount opener is also very quiet.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_22704.jpg
Views:	2549
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	310902Click image for larger version

Name:	image_22705.jpg
Views:	2630
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	310903

Comment

Looks awesome.

The only concern with mine is if there is enough room between the shaft and ceiling (low ceiling height of 8' 11")

Comment

Note that I didn't change the rail tracks or the torsion bar. I simply removed the ceiling mount garage door opener and mounted wall unit so that one end of the torsion bar is inside.

Originally posted by Cruisin1966 View Post
                  Looks awesome.

The only concern with mine is if there is enough room between the shaft and ceiling (low ceiling height of 8' 11")

Comment

• Cruisin1966
                    Cruisin1966 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Oh, I understand perfectly. In my situation, the torsion bar may be too close to the ceiling for the wall-mount unit to attach. I have one of the installers coming tomorrow to check clearance.

Was it difficult to do the install?

Comment

I was not difficult but still took 3 hours because it was my first time to install a garage door opener and I had to learn and understand about various systems for a wall mount garage door opener. I also went to Youtube to watch a couple of instructional videos. If I have to do it again for someone, it may take only 1 hour.

Originally posted by Treyc321 View Post
                    Was it difficult to do the install?

Comment

As long as the spring tension on the door is set properly, the actual amount of force required to lift and lower the door is surprisingly small. For this very reason, a ceiling-mounted lift can be safely offset to one side(still on the ceiling mind you) by several feet. I have done this with my 9' ceiling, 2-car garage door. I moved the lift about 3ft laterally, towards the side of the garage that isn't being used for my sim. As long as you stay in the middle-ish 30% of the door width, offset should be completely fine for anyone whose spring is tensioned properly. Good luck

Comment

Thank you, I didn't know that you can move it a few feet laterally. Basically I could have moved it to the next vertical bar? Good info for someone who don't want to spend any money. My ceiling garage door opener was too old and too noisy anyway. I wanted an open and unobstructed ceiling.

Originally posted by A.Princey View Post
                        As long as the spring tension on the door is set properly, the actual amount of force required to lift and lower the door is surprisingly small. For this very reason, a ceiling-mounted lift can be safely offset to one side(still on the ceiling mind you) by several feet. I have done this with my 9' ceiling, 2-car garage door. I moved the lift about 3ft laterally, towards the side of the garage that isn't being used for my sim. As long as you stay in the middle-ish 30% of the door width, offset should be completely fine for anyone whose spring is tensioned properly. Good luck

Comment

My garage door tracks were fine but the opener was in the way. An easy fix is to raise the chain track where it mounts above the door. You can then raise the door opener by just remounting to angled supports higher toward the ceiling. I then used the cut off angle iron pieces to be used as the overhead door arm extension piece as shown. My opener is now 9’6” off the flor and straight above my hitting area so my Club is never near it. The opener is also much quieter due to less vibration when mounted so close to the ceiling. No cable or spring adjustments needed.

Comment

• Cruisin1966
                            Cruisin1966 commented
                            Editing a comment
                            You're so lucky to have such a high ceiling. There is barely enough room above the top of the garage door header to get the curve in the tracks. The chain is an inch from the ceiling, and the ceiling is only 11" above the top of the garage door when it's down all the way

• EddieD
                            EddieD commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Thank you very much mwh1023! I used your method of raising the chain track and the opener. I moved them up 12" from where they were, I now have plenty of room to swing my driver. I could have went higher but 12" was plenty for my needs. Thanks for posting this and helping other people realize a possible option for moving the opener. Thanks, EddieD

Sorry I misunderstood as I have a 10’ ceiling in my garage. Yours must only be around 9’ so not sure how you could swing a driver?

Comment

• Cruisin1966
                            Cruisin1966 commented
                            Editing a comment
                            8' 11" to be exact. I'm only 5' 10" and can swing without issue. It will be a challenging simulator build for me with the room dimensions
                        Working...
                        X