Pipe bounce - carpet effective?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pipe bounce - carpet effective?

Hi everyone, I have seen some references to using carpet (marine, carpet runner, etc.) strips velcroed to the EMT pipe to mitigate bounce back risks. Is that really effective? I can easily see how those pieces would be great for catching balls that are trying to squeeze between the screen and the side covering, but it seems like it wouldn't do much to dull a direct strike on the pipe?

Hoping I'm wrong because it sounds like a nice solution.

It might reduce it by 10% - 15%, but that's about it. Thin, firm carpet over a hard metal pipe just isn't going to slow it down much.

Comment

• GullLakeMi
      GullLakeMi commented
      Editing a comment
      I agree with this comment. I tried pipe insulation as well and only slowed it down slightly.

I ended up buying a 2" thick memory foam mattress topper, cut it into 6" wide strips, then wrapped the strips with cloth from a cheap black bedsheet. I attached them to the EMT with velcro and electrical tape. Has worked well so far. No more rocket balls flying back at me.

Comment

I think most people are using pool noodles or pipe insulation.

Comment

I had the problem in spades! I tried pipe insulation and carpet to no avail. I finally ended up with a vertical 12" strip of carpet behind the net but in front of the pipe. This deflects the ball to the screen nicely. Looks pretty strange but in the darkened room (to accomodate the projector) it is not too offensive. I have vowed to use a screen that just "hangs down" if I have to do it over again.

Comment

• bubbtubbs
          bubbtubbs commented
          Editing a comment
          I went that route and just have rigid steel pipe with 90° elbows into a threaded hub, one hanger strap in the middle to prevent sag. Pipe has a pool noodle wrapped around its entire length and is only 4" from the ceiling.

It's not pretty but it works and only cost me $300 CAD for the raw SQ screen material from Par2Pro, 11x11. I had pipe and a threader in the shop.

• smitchelus
          smitchelus commented
          Editing a comment
          Bob, that's very much what I was picturing as well, although I was picturing something more like 4" or so. Enough to prevent anything sneaking through the gaps left by the tarp clips, minimize bounce back, and hopefully route balls onto the screen.

• smitchelus
          smitchelus commented
          Editing a comment
          Out of curiosity, Bob. How did your working solution differ from your first, failed attempt with carpet?

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I ran to Home Depot to see one of the previously recommended carpet runners in person, and while I was there I realized they had small samples that I could take home. Here's my attempt at an experiment. Looks more promising than I thought.

Thoughts on this test?

Comment

• preludesam
          preludesam commented
          Editing a comment
          A ball off an average swing speed drive is +130PH. It's going to compress the carpet easily and bounce back really fast. You either need thick soft foam or a baffle.

I have an EMT frame with minimal gap from frame to screen. I used GUTTERSTUFF EZ 4 ft. Foam Filter Plastic Gutter Guard for 5 in. K-Style (8-Pack)-GSEz-K5-SB - The Home Depot on the sides and covered it with the same fabric I used for black out screen. This creates an angle where if the ball hits it, it will both slow it down as well as change the direction so the ball doesn't come directly back. I put a few pictures in this thread... Foam Around Screen - Golf Simulator Forum. I used a baffle across the top. 12" fabric simply hanging down approx. 10" in front of bar to slow balls hit towards top bar. They look a bit homemade, but I typically play with limited ambient light and it all blends in to black out curtain.

Comment

• smitchelus
          smitchelus commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks GullLakeM, I actually saw your post about that during my research. I may wind up falling back to that or the triangular foam that a few folks have talked about. I was just trying to search the forum for the website for the custom foam. I'll go check out the Home Depot link again to see if that is an easier route.

it does nothing for bounce back, it’s only for aesthetics, to hide the screen attachments and gap to the support structure
        Originally posted by smitchelus View Post
        Hi everyone, I have seen some references to using carpet (marine, carpet runner, etc.) strips velcroed to the EMT pipe to mitigate bounce back risks. Is that really effective? I can easily see how those pieces would be great for catching balls that are trying to squeeze between the screen and the side covering, but it seems like it wouldn't do much to dull a direct strike on the pipe?

Hoping I'm wrong because it sounds like a nice solution.

Comment

I wound up going with the foam gutter guards that GullLakeM recommended. I was able to pick them up at our local Lowe's (I was surprised to find them in stock) and put them around the frame today using velcro to attach them. Looks pretty good. I'll try to remember to upload a picture once I have the entire frame covered.

Comment

I used foamonline.com and got 4" triangular firm foam and Peak's online to have velcro enclosures made. They work great and look very professional.

Comment

Working...
            X