Announcement

Collapse

TGC Tour - Congratulations!

Congrats to @simmb (NET) and @Joe_S (GROSS) winning the TGC1 2020 SUMMER TOUR - Northern Trust !

Join this weeks TGC1 2020 SUMMER TOUR - BMW Championship with 2 rounds at Oakmont Country Club (ProTee Blue): https://golfsimulatorforum.com/forum...w-championship
See more
See less

Impact Screen 101

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Impact Screen 101

The impact screens for golf simulators are critical for its realism. The ideal impact screen will be durable, project well and not have a big bounce back. Most folks will have their sim room double as a theatre room so a good quality projector and impact screen are important. The impact screen may be flat, curved or have 3 screens to present a simulator surround experience. Full swing also has a Pass through screen that is very cool.

Most screens are built with an enclosure or stand alone. often side panels or netting is used to prevent stray balls from doing harm as well as cosmetics of the room. Make sure the screen is loose to prevent any big bounceback.

Certainly one can make an impact screen however various companies make high quality screens.

here are some links:

Protee Screen www.proteegolfsimulator.com/?option=com_virtuemart
    HQ Screen at par2pro www.par2pro.com/shop/index.php?cPath=23_35
    Par-20 screen West Coast netting www.westcoastnetting.com/
    CDG screen www.customdesigngolf.com/the_affordable_...deo_impact_screens_1
    Allspostsytems www.allsportsystems.com/golf-simulator-hitting-screen.html
    Net return www.thenetreturn.com/practice-golf-nets/simulator-series.html
    Last edited by Maverick; 09-16-2014, 11:01 PM.

After I hemmed my screen to specs I sowed straps at every foot. Basically its just an 8 inch long piece of strap material you can buy anywhere and when you fold it in half you get a 4 inch loop. Very solid. I setup my screen specs exactly as will be described in your HQ package from corey. He sent a 'blue print'.

Comment

Ok thanks. I didn't get a blue print, but I did email him a while ago asking for advice. I'll bet he sends it to me.

Comment

Can someone post close up pictures of the sewing of their hems and straps?

Comment

Also for those who did their own sewing, what size thread did you use?

Comment

I attached a pic of one of my straps. I don't remember exactly what thread, but its made for stretchy canvases. It's not overly thick, but we did a double pass on the outside hem and 4 passes for each strap. The sowing pattern was also a special pattern designed for stretchy materials.

Comment

Originally posted by HoganWoods View Post
              I attached a pic of one of my straps. I don't remember exactly what thread, but its made for stretchy canvases. It's not overly thick, but we did a double pass on the outside hem and 4 passes for each strap. The sowing pattern was also a special pattern designed for stretchy materials.
              It's very difficult to see what you've done there. Is that a super thin hem? And then the strap is sewn in to the screen towards the center from the screen? And the strap is sewn in to a single ply of the screen material?

I was envisioning like a 2 inch hem, with the strap sewn where the hem creates a double ply.

Comment

First thing you need to do is find your sowing machine and determine which patterns you can use for the material you have. It's a stretchy pattern and usually the pictures are on the face of the machine. Some patterns are wide, some aren't. I chose a more narrow pattern and did a double pass around the entire screen after I cut it to specifications. Once that was done, I cut my strap material to 8 inches each and folded each in half to form a loop. I put the loop end on the back of the screen and then sowed it to the screen material. I did the width of the entire strap and did 4 lines. The pattern for this was different than the one I used for the perimeter of the sreen. Again you need to see what your machine can do to decide which pattern to use. There are no rules that are written in stone. I had a strap at every 1 foot of screen on all sides (except bottom) and so I felt very confident that it would be solid this way. It has been very solid up to now.

edit: When I did the hem on all sides, I left an inch or 2 (don't remember exactly which) of extra material on all sides so I could fold it in and hem it that way. This will prevent the material from becoming all stringy if you simply cut the material and hem it as is.
                Last edited by HWoods; 10-08-2014, 01:09 AM.

Comment

I just received the protee screen and need to find bungees that fit and can attach to angle iron. The grommets on the screen are pretty small and I'm having a tough time finding a 50 pk of ones that would fit through the holes. Also, there are 47 grommets on the screen. I really appreciate any help you guys can provide. Thanks
                  US - Eastern Time Zone

Comment

bpep,

These are what I'm using. I don't put the bungie cords through the grommet. I just hook the cords to the grommets.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-10-in...MINI/100137092

Comment

I use these and they work great. They come in different lengths too. They ball adds support to the grommet too.
                      http://www.homedepot.com/p/Sigman-9-...B09B/203217329

Comment

I use the same straps , they work great and you can vary how many you use to adjust tension.
                        Last edited by Craig118; 10-19-2014, 12:42 AM.

Comment

Thanks Guys. I appreciate it!
                          US - Eastern Time Zone

Comment

I hung my net tonight. I think someone (ZMax?) told me to let it hang super loose. The middle is really loose, so much that I can't imagine it's going to have any effect on supporting the screen that will hang in front of it. Any comments?

Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-10-22 21.45.32.jpg
Views:	1131
Size:	22.1 KB
ID:	14718

Comment

I did not say super loose. I said loose. And you need to anchor the middle parts of the net also.

Comment

Yes I plan to anchor the center. I only had 4 bungees available tonight.

That net is a 10x10 unstretched. The top and bottom are stretched to about 12 feet right now. Does your experience tell you that seems about right? The impact screen will sit flush to the front of the net.

Comment

Working...
                                X