Flooring between Screan and Mat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flooring between Screan and Mat

I am looking for ideas for a surface between the screen and hitting Mat. Please let me know what you used.

I use foam interconnecting tiles that you see in gyms. My hitting area is in the garage so I needed something soft to minimize any bouncing.

Comment

• fortysixandtwo
      fortysixandtwo commented
      Editing a comment
      I do the same here for the garage, works great

I actually constructed a fold down system in my garage. Built from wood almost like you would build a deck, but I used low cost studs.. Covered it with outdoor carpeting and completed it with a $65 winch to pull it against the wall. It is pretty awesome actually and allows me to turn my golf course back to a garage in about 3 minutes. I have pics if you are interested.

Comment

I use 4x6 rubber stall mats from TSC as the subfloor except for area where mat is. I have.a 5x5 Rawhide grade A mat. I.looked at getting turf but costs were too high. I called synlawn places all over midwest. I went to a local carpet store and bought a 12x14 commercial carpet remnant and had the edges bound like an area rug. When I put remnant rug down I cut out a square for my hitting mat so it lies recessed into the carpet nearly level. I can easily putt straight off the hitting mat and ball rolls like a fast smooth green. Here is a construction picture before finishing screen enclosure.

Comment

• Bullpride
        Bullpride commented
        Editing a comment
        I also used 4x6 stall mats from Tractor Supply. Unfortunately my Fiberbuilt 4x7 is 1.5 inches tall, so I had to double up on the stall mats (stacked 2 high). I covered it with outdoor grizzly carpet from Lowe's

Interlocking foam tiles. Quiet and easy on club heads.

Comment

• jrz
        jrz commented
        Editing a comment
        Does anyone know how to rotate photos when posting?

• FirGir
        FirGir commented
        Editing a comment
        jrz not sure this helps but I have much better luck on this forum with my images not randomly rotating if I use the Upload Attachments button on the right v the Share Photos button on the left. No clue why.

• jrz
        jrz commented
        Editing a comment
        I haven’t tried that, but definitely will. Thank you.

Originally posted by jrz View Post
      You can open it in something like photoshop , rotate it and re save.

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_10183 (1).jpg Views:	1 Size:	67.0 KB ID:	178743
        Originally posted by jrz View Post
        JRZ, Here you go!
        Last edited by trhuke; 01-12-2019, 07:22 PM.

Comment

• trhuke
          trhuke commented
          Editing a comment
          Eh, it just uploaded the thumbnail.....

I bought some inexpensive astroturf off a big roll at Lowes and put cheap carpet padding under it. Cost about $35 and helps keep balls from bouncing all over the place. I also took another about 8x6 foot of cheap carpet padding and rolled it and wrapped it in an old sheet for a bumper at the bottom of the screen. A bad shot, (not that I've ever done that mind you) hitting the padded frame at the bottom of the screen was still coming off it with plenty of velocity. Saves a lot of scary bad shot caroms (and I don't spend time chasing golf balls around my garage).

Comment

I got this from eBay. 8x12 for $170. Decent quality and deadens the ball while looking professional. Because I had a protege putting system I raised it with foam insulation boards.

Comment

HAs anyone used Grizzly Grass Dark Green Plush Carpet (Interior/Exterior) for a putting surface. It is $0.50 an sf so I hope someone has had some good results.

Comment

• Bullpride
              Bullpride commented
              Editing a comment
              Mine has been down for a few days. It looks amazing and rolls nicely.

• Stetson
              Stetson commented
              Editing a comment
              It rolls true and a good speed? Or it rolls good for the price?

• Homer
              Homer commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks for the feedback

I used 1/2" Sport Turf with foam backing in 24x24 in squares from EZ Carpet. Sits flush with the Soft Strike mat. Putts well and cushions the bounce.

Comment

• richerod
              richerod commented
              Editing a comment
              Ordered a sample tile of the Sport Turf. Wow really impressed with the quality of it. Curious what does a Soft Strike go for? How do you feel about its forgiveness on joints (elbows)?

So I made a short video uploaded to YouTube showing the action of my hitting mat, screen and Sport Turf. Take a look and let me know what you think.

Comment

I have the Grizzly Grass down now and it is working with carpet pad to limit bounces and rolling well for putts. Only issue is my one dog seems to want to roll on it (its texture is not like other mats or carpets) and has white fur and is a bit of a shedder....

Comment

Do you like it as a putting green?

Comment

Just did speed testing using my DIY Stimpmeter, Grizzly Grass, front and back, Home Depot Traffic Master Putting Green and the really cheap turf from Home Depot Garland Artificial Grass. All testing was done with each surface laid on top of a typical nice family room carpet.

Grizzly Front 11
                  Grizzly Back, Fast rolled off the end
                  Traffic Master putting green, 10
                  Cheap Grass, 9

As far as the actual roll, the Grizzly Grass back side rolled pure, the Grizzly front was second, followed close by with the TM Putting Green. No Go on the cheap grass.

Pricing
                  Grizzly Grass, $0.50 SF
                  Traffic Master putting green, $1.65
                  Cheap Grass, $0.42 SF

I have decided to go with Grizzly Grass in a 12x20 configuration. It will go over an existing carpet. Have not decided whether to inset my hitting mat.

Comment

Working...
                  X