Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you compress your iron shots on fiberbuilt?Also 7x4 or 9x4 options?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you compress your iron shots on fiberbuilt?Also 7x4 or 9x4 options?

Before I pull the trigger on a 7x4 or 9x4 fiberbuilt, I was wondering about the feel of a well struck iron shot. I have a cce and can get that good compression with an iron, hitting AoA around -5 with a 7 iron, with a good amount of dynamic loft...no problems there. I was curious with how a shot feels on those fiberbuilt bristles? Everything else I’ve read sounds good regarding joint health, the cons about masking fat shots I’m not worried about though...

2nd question. Anyone have the 7x4 or 9x4? Do you have lefty’s over or just prefer more space on the other side? Is the 7x4 really enough room for the gc2/quad, or is it sitting on the back edge? Any pics? Thanks!

where do you live? I have a 9x4 that i used for month I am looking to sell. I was also told compressing against the ground is a myth

Comment

• fortysixandtwo
      fortysixandtwo commented
      Editing a comment
      I’m in Lexington, KY.

If you hit fat on fiberbuilt your going to be short on your approach.
    I don't get the compression question. Can you compress a ball off the tee? If so then I don't think the mat does anything to the strike. The ball should be long gone before you interact with the mat or outside turf.

Comment

• fortysixandtwo
      fortysixandtwo commented
      Editing a comment
      That makes sense about compressing a ball off the tee, maybe I’m describing the sensation wrong. I have the cce and it’s that turf interaction that makes it feel solid on good hits. Of course I’m trying to avoid any future injuries that’s why I’m looking at fiberbuilt for longevity...

• Wizard of Coz
      Wizard of Coz commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah ditch the cce not worth it.

You don't compress a ball against the ground when you hit it.

In my opinion for full shots especially long irons, fiberbuillt is not very forgiving. The bristles turn the club over even if it's just every so slightly fat. On short flop shots though the fiberbuilt is super easy to hit off of. It's like fluffing it up on a perfect lie.

It's not my favorite, but its necessary if you hit balls with any sort of regularity. 1 month with another mat elbow was hurting. Took a while to recover, since the fiberbuilt I have no elbow pain.
    Last edited by shwag33; 11-18-2020, 04:49 PM.

Comment

I was thinking of getting the 9x4 but I was wondering how close the cce is in height? I could just get the 7x4 and put the cce on the other side in case any lefty’s stop by..

Comment

• chicub15
        chicub15 commented
        Editing a comment
        I did something very similar with my setup- I used thin foam tiles from Lowe's to get the stance mats level with the FB. Your joints will love the FB and your ball striking will improve- you can't get away with fat shots on the FB.

I understand what you mean and I would say yes, you can compress the ball.

Comment

The only thing I compressed on the CCE were my medial elbow joints. Protect your elbows at all costs ....get a FB.

Comment

• Wizard of Coz
          Wizard of Coz commented
          Editing a comment
          😆 i agree.....

shwag33 feedback above is the best concise summary I’ve seen on FB hitting strip.

Signed,
        FB, DivotAction and Quattro veteran (also tried a DIY gel contraption)

Comment

• Adrenaline
          Adrenaline commented
          Editing a comment
          968Cab, sorry I don't follow exactly. You are saying you prefer the FB over the rest? You also had an issue with the Divot Action?

• 968Cab
          968Cab commented
          Editing a comment
          Adrenaline....

I started with FB for all the health reasons. I just couldn’t believe the distance loss & the left bias that resulted. Turns out it was the bristles closing my face when “just ever so slightly fat”. (I play a fade and take a divot). But at the time, like any new sim golfer, I blamed the mat! 😂

I went to DivAction in the FB tray. Like it, but it’s very loud to me, and showed wear and sagging pretty quickly. You can bend the springs to fix the sagging, and replace the turf pretty easily and cheaply.

I bought a Quattro, based on the ravings here...”best of all mats”, cut a strip for the tray, and started with elbow pain within a week. So better than CCE-type in that it took a week, but not good that I had pain eventually.

I’ve come full circle back to FB, and have been working on being less steep/deep for months...it’s better for my game anyway!

Still have all three inserts (actually 4 because I have the DivAction rough too), and use all but the Quattro. But mostly the FB...it just works best overall—performance and health—IMO
          Last edited by 968Cab; 11-18-2020, 08:20 PM.

• GolfLikeItsaPandemic
          GolfLikeItsaPandemic commented
          Editing a comment
          968Cab, are you saying its possible to use the DivAction inserts with your FB mat? I'm planning my sim build and would prefer to not always be hitting from fairways when my last simulated shot landed me in first cut, rough or sand. I plan to go with a FB center hitting mat with the 1'x4' hitting section. Really what I'd like to know is what good options there are for realistically playing the shots where I'm in the first cut, rough or sand.

Possibly pertinent to this question: I'm going with a GC quad so that will dictate the size of my hitting area. Wondering if anyone has advice related to the size of the hitting area and interchangeable inserts while playing a sim course. I imagine it would get annoying to constantly be switching out a fairway insert for a rough insert and back and forth on-and-on.

Apologies if this has been discussed at length elsewhere in the forum.

Originally posted by Kevin Scott View Post
        I understand what you mean and I would say yes, you can compress the ball.
        You compress the ball, but it has nothing to do with the ground, at least on a clean strike.

Comment

I have the Fiberbuilt Performance Mat and no pain from hitting off all the time. I do feel like I have to sweep or pick the ball just a little bit more than outside. If I aggressively attack down on the ball with irons they are a little short compared to outside. Even though Im making contact with ball first so its almost as if the mat is slowing club down just a bit during contact. When Im outside with the quad on the grass range and hit aggressively down to the ball there is no yardage lost.

Comment

Working...
          X