Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Optoma EH412ST - Best new projector?

Hey guys,

I came across an article talking about the release of the new Optoma EH412ST and it looks really impressive with a price tag of $899 so i thought i would share it here..

here are some specs:

- 4000 Lumens
    - 1920x1080 (native) / max: UHD 4K 3840x2160
    - 50,000:1
    - short throw (0.5:1)

here is a link for full specs:

any thought?

cheers!

I've been eyeing this one too. Looks like it comes out in a few weeks. Also has 4k capability.

Comment

Looks like a nice projector but unless I’m mid understanding it won’t output 4K it does except 4K inputs though.

Comment

Yep...like the Optoma GT1080Darbee...it's native resolution is 1080p, but it will accept the 1900 x 1200 signal and compress to the 1080p format. Apparently it will also accept 4K signals (high end blueray disk, 4K blueray player, 4k passthrough receiver, thence to the 1080p projector), and down-convert to 1080p.

Comment

jerry3 Native resolution is 1080 but it will do 4K.Click image for larger version

Name:	!!!2.jpg
Views:	4043
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	214369

Comment

• BGCurtis2nd
            BGCurtis2nd commented
            Editing a comment
            Output is 1920 x 1080 but it will support 4K input. Only projector that does a true 4k output is a Sony projector selling for $25,000.00 according to the projector professionals I called, also the Optima EH412ST will start shipping August 4th.

The projector being discussed should not be confused with 4K projectors.

It's native HD, 1920 x 1080 but accepts 4K input - but downgrades it to HD 1920x1080. Nothing to really get excited about unless of course you understand that it is giving you a 1920 x 1080 image that you like.

True 4K projectors are becoming more affordable, if you consider $3,000 to $4,000 USD "affordable"

Comment

Here is a link to the PDF on the Optoma EH412ST ;
            Looked good enough to me I pre-ordered one, and waiting on delivery later on today will post my impressions of it once I get to use it some.

Comment

Got the projector in and trying it out, it looks great in 1080P but I think it does a very good job in 4K simulation projection. I took a picture of what the 4K video looks like in 4K simulation on the Optoma EH412ST projector, and a screen capture of my 4K monitor. Beach scene is 1080P.

Comment

Hello !

Thanks for sharing this new one ! Does someone knows where I can find the code of this projector for europe market ? Like BenQ it seems to be different between USA and europe ...

Comment

Optoma does have a true 4K projector, Optoma 4K550ST but it cost about 4 times as much.

Comment

• Uk101jkt
                  Uk101jkt commented
                  Editing a comment
                  FYI I have a 4k550ST on order in Asia but am being told the order will be cancelled as they are discontinuing it. Very frustrating as i planned on 4k and now I dont know any alternatives in even a remotely the same price range (was paying $2800)

I recently decided to move to an impact screen and bought one of these new OptomaEH412ST projectors that just came out. I am not impressed...

1. I do not believe the documented throw ratio of 0.5 is accurate. I did the math and 81" distance should have given me the 91"x121" image I need at 4:3 aspect ratio. Well this appears to be at least a foot off. I am still trying to figure out the magic spot but I'd estimate its +12-15" more than you'd expect.

2. If ceiling mounted its expecting this to be 12 inches below top of the screen. Hanging this low is not ideal for a simulator unless you have very tall screen.

3. No optical zoom so you have to find the EXACT spot you need. Personally I will not even look at any other projector that is lacking optical zoom.

4. Avoid discount online resellers until you read the fine print. It did not occur to me to check the return policy nowadays. I saved $60 avoiding taxes+shipping but if I cannot make this projector work I am eating a 15% restock fee.

Comment

• BGCurtis2nd
                  BGCurtis2nd commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I think something might be wrong with your projector, it should have set up on 81" for what you want, I know mine was right on the money on setup. Mount should be 14" above the screen but you can move the picture up and down to some degree. Mine setup right on the money I used this to get throw.

• frodaddy00
                  frodaddy00 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yep that is exactly what I used. 81" would have been perfect so you can imagine my frustration when I've had to rearrange my whole layout.. its about 95" back which puts it right in front of the top of my swing. I'm having to move mat back for fear of whacking it with a steep wedge swing.

I guess I can ask them to ship me a new one hoping it behaves better.

This is what I was expecting to work so maybe it is a defect..hard to believe brand new out of hte box but I guess it happens.
                Attached Files

Comment

frodaddy00 I hear you, I just built myself a new computer, wound up swapping everything out but the case and power-supply. I have built computers since back in the early 70s never had as much trouble as I did this one. I would have one thing go down, replace it only to have something else drop out. Just bought the wife a new 40" TV to use as a monitor for her computer the 32" she had quit, have had the new one five days and having to take it back, remote doesn't work nor do the controls on the case, TV stays on but no volume and you can not turn it off or change the input.

Comment

I am going to take my chances that this projector is just defective and ask for a new one that hopefully gives me an actual throw ration of 0.5. I've tried making this one work but that extra 15" is killing my setup and I've run out of ideas to make it work.

Comment

• Wizard of Coz
                      Wizard of Coz commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Th671 done

• frodaddy00
                      frodaddy00 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I would have returned and gone with something else but I'm a dummy and bought from an online reseller without looking at their return policy. I'm too cheap to eat 15% of $1000...

I received a replacement projector and it has the same issue.. at 81" away at 4:3 aspect ratio it does not fill a 91"x121" screen. Apparently the throw ratio calculators are incorrect I tried a couple different ones.

In fact I have the projector about 95" away and it still doesn't fill in the entire screen.. so now I just have to live with wasted edges of my brand new impact screen.. about 10" total top/bottom and about 4" left/right. Oh well I will live.

It makes no sense why its not sized properly its just basic Physics II Optics...

Comment

• Wizard of Coz
                      Wizard of Coz commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Mine I believe is just off my right shoulder and maybe a foot to the right of my ball as looking toward screen. Just change your swing I did. 94 inches yeah baby! 94 ceilling ht swing
                      Last edited by Wizard of Coz; 08-14-2019, 06:55 PM.

• Dan McWhirter
                      Dan McWhirter commented
                      Editing a comment
                      If the "81 inches" was for 1080p, then 4:3 will not fill the screen. Pretty sure you get the 1080 pixels vertically, but to make the 4:3 ratio it has to cut pixels off horizontally.

• frodaddy00
                      frodaddy00 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I'm running at the highest 4:3 resolution the projector supports, 1600x1200.
                  Working...
                  X