DIY Real Feel Golf Mat for only $271.50

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY Real Feel Golf Mat for only $271.50

I wanted to share the latest golf sim project I just finished. I wanted to make my golf mat feel a little softer and more like hitting down in the ground creating a divot. So you could spend $750 for a TrueStrike golf mat with a gel insert or you could do what I did for 1/3 the cost...and actually I think it's better.

I have the 5' X 5' ULTIMATE PAR COMMERCIAL DRIVING RANGE GOLF MAT from AllTurfMats.com. Cost $199.
    Link: http://www.allturfmats.com/product-p/utpq6060.htm

I bought a 18 in x 16 in Ultra Gel Pad from OnlyGel.com. Cost $72.50
    Link: https://onlygel.com/index.php/motorc...stock-232.html

I flipped my turf over and cut out a section of the foam bottom and placed the gel pad below the turf. I didn't glue it or anything. This gel pad is 5/8 in thick and that was exactly the thickness of the foam padding below my turf. So it fit perfect.

This feels so much better now. You can hit down and compress the ball and it feels like actually making a divot. Doesn't have any hard feel like before. I definitely recommend others doing something similar. You won't regret it. I also like this method because you don't have any insert and everything looks clean on top with no cut outs or mismatching turf colors.

The biggest tip is to use a oscillating multi-functional power tool (see what I mean in picture). This was the easiest way to cut out the foam. It only took about 30 minutes to cut it out.

If anyone else does this post back your results and how you like it! But definitely recommend others trying this!!!

See attached pictures!

Just purchased everything for the mat, can't wait to get everything put together !!

Comment

The Mat from all turf mats, is it a heavy enough Matt to stay put on top of carpet. No real way to secure it to the floor??

Comment

Has anyone tried this with either of these two 5StarGolf mats:
        The 5 Star Commercial Driving Range Golf Mats last seasons longer than ordinary driving range mats. 30% denser turf coupled with state-of-the-art technology makes our commercial golf mats the best choice for busy driving ranges!

The Next Generation in Golf Mats! Golf Practice Mats that Feel Like Real Grass! 5 Star Golf Mats have the perfect feel for country clubs who demand the very best in driving range golf mats. The best quality Fairway Golf Hitting Mats are perfect for backyard golfers, golf teams and training facilities.

Are these the same as the old Monster Tee mats, now Matzilla? I am having a hard time telling the difference from the clutter of the site.

Comment

Question for anyone who has used this gel - how temperature sensitive is the gel? That is - if the gel is left somewhere cold (e.g. a cold garage), does the gel remain squishy, or does it harden?

I used to have a car seat comfort pad - it might have been a similar material as this, or it might have been foam based, I don't remember. But I do remember that it was hard as a rock on very cold mornings until my rear end warmed it up a bit. Whether this gel does the same thing makes a big difference to me, as I'd be using this set up for cold winter practice in the cold garage.
          Last edited by zamundan; 01-10-2017, 09:31 AM.

Comment

Mine is in the garage and it remains soft. Probably about 20-30 degrees in garage.
            Originally posted by zamundan View Post
            Question for anyone who has used this gel - how temperature sensitive is the gel? That is - if the gel is left somewhere cold (e.g. a cold garage), does the gel remain squishy, or does it harden?

I used to have a car seat comfort pad - it might have been a similar material as this, or it might have been foam based, I don't remember. But I do remember that it was hard as a rock on very cold mornings until my rear end warmed it up a bit. Whether this gel does the same thing makes a big difference to me, as I'd be using this set up for cold winter practice in the cold garage.

Comment

Should be getting the mat and gel delivered tomorrow to give this set up shot. Thanks for the info!

Comment

Originally posted by wbond View Post
                Mine is in the garage and it remains soft. Probably about 20-30 degrees in garage.

Thanks!!

Here's another question for anyone with experience with this setup.... I was thinking making some changes to OP's recommendations to save money and simplify a bit, and I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts/input on how well the following would work:
                • ​​​​​​​Instead of buying the "Ultimate Par Commercial Mat" for $200, I'm considering buying the "Emerald Par" for $85.
                • Both have the same 1/2" nylon turn on top.
                • The difference is the foam.
                  • The Commercial has 5/8" foam underneath
                  • The Emerald has less than 1/4" foam underneath.
                • I would plan to leave the foam on the Emerald mat completely intact
                  • No drilling a 'cavity' into the bottom of the mat for the gel
                • I would place the mat onto a pre-cut rug pad with a hole for the gel
                  • I have some 1/2" rug pad.
                  • I would cut a 18"x16" hole in the rug pad
                  • The gel would go in the rug pad hole, and the Emerald Mat would be affixed on top of the rug pad/gel combo.
                  • I know the the heights didn't match up exactly, so I'd put 1/8" plywood under the pad or under the gel as needed. (The rug pad isn't exactly 1/2", and it sounds like the gel might not be exactly 5/8", so it might actually turn out pretty close with no plywood needed.)

Advantages of this plan (if it works):
                • Save over $100
                • Skip the foam removal step. (Sounds like this takes an hour and requires an oscillating tool that I'd have to buy or borrow...)
                • The mat stays intact, so if the hitting area on the turf wears out over time, I can easily rotate the mat 90 degrees since there isn't a hole in it.

Concerns/Questions:
                • Would the gel be as effective with an extra 5mm of foam between it and the turf
                • Would I have more significant problems with the gel shifting around? (I actually wonder if it might shift around less... but I can imagine it going either way.)

This is the current plan I have brewing. If you can poke any holes in this plan, please do. This will be my first time experimenting with anything like this, so I fear I'm missing something stupid and this may not turn out as expected.
                Last edited by zamundan; 01-11-2017, 05:22 AM.

Comment

• zamundan
                  zamundan commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Awesome - thanks for the input.

The rug pad is fairly firm, but I can go with plywood too if that will work better.

I went back through the posts and saw the pictures of your setup.... yeah, it looks like you did exactly what I was thinking. (Don't know how I missed that before.)

Here's a crazy question for you - have you tried removing the gel and taking some swings?

I'm just trying to go for the lowest impact setup possible to minimize injury risk, and it seems like having no gel at all (so the mat just flexes into the empty cavity) would have even less impact than having gel underneath. Any chance you want to give that a try and see how it goes?

• Jtangm04
                  Jtangm04 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I did fiberglass insulation board instead as my bottom layer followed by some foam workout matting bought from Costco. Both were around 12 to 15 dollars. Took pair of scissors and made a cutout for the motorcycle seat gel pad. Gel pad I bought from ebay for around 30. Glued fiberglass board, foam layer, and gel insert together. Turf 3x5 I bought from Amazon for 50, but is starting to bubble up after 5 months of use.

Thinking of redoing it but make it 5x5 for increased longevity.
                  Last edited by Jtangm04; 01-13-2017, 10:44 PM.

• GungHoGolf
                  GungHoGolf commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I used the even cheaper 4x5 Premium Residential mat with 3/8" fibers - worked great! Write-up here: http://golfsimulatorforum.com/forum/...for-around-175

I currently have a Divot action insert. I feel it's too forgiving on fat shots. Can anyone with gel insert compare?

Comment

• wbond
                  wbond commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Gel is forgiving on the body, not so on the shot result. I chunked at least three in the water during this tournament on fat shots

Hi Guys!! I have a 1 inch thick mat from Golfsmith. I have the insert that was recommended at the beginning of this thread but am now worried a 1 inch thick mat isn't thick enough to insert the gel pad into. I think the original mat at the beginning of the post was 1 and 3/8 thick. Thoughts? Thanks folks!!

Comment

Thread is pushing a year old, have these mats worked out?

Comment

Depending upon on the base layer, you don't have to put the gel into the mat. You can build a platform and have the gel recessed into that and then have the mat on top. That is what i did with a very thin mat.
                    Originally posted by Lefty13 View Post
                    Hi Guys!! I have a 1 inch thick mat from Golfsmith. I have the insert that was recommended at the beginning of this thread but am now worried a 1 inch thick mat isn't thick enough to insert the gel pad into. I think the original mat at the beginning of the post was 1 and 3/8 thick. Thoughts? Thanks folks!!

Comment

• Lefty13
                      Lefty13 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Great idea! Thanks guys!!! Appreciate it!

I made one following Mike80's OP. I really liked it but in hindsight, would've gone wbond's build. After a few months, the hitting area is starting to wear, creating a slight dip/divot. I do try to move the ball position around but due to my limited room size, only so many inches I can move around. I'll likely build a detachable piece like wbond's so I can replace the hitting surface when the divot get to be too deep and also be able to rotate the stance mat for even wear.

Comment

I made mine using interlocking square foam pads from costco and glued 2 layers together. I cut out a spot for the gel pad and then place a cheap golf mat from amazon on top. The cheap top is beginning to bubble up after 6 months of use but will rotate it to the other side soon.

In retrospect I made my platform 3x5. Thinking of making it 5x5 to make my mat last longer and give me more room to setup a better driving stance.
                      My courses:
                      Aldeen
                      Butler National
                      Cantigny
                      Canyata
                      Cog Hill #4
                      Harbor Shores
                      Harborside
                      Naperville Country Club
                      Prairie Landing
                      Rich Harvest Farms
                      Ruffled Feathers
                      Shoreacres

Comment

Hello, I am checking to see if anyone has ever added Gel to a 5' x 5' CCE mat. I have ordered a 36" x 20" piece of the Ultra Gel from the posted website. Hoping it will help make hitting off the CCE a little easier on my elbow. I see where it was discussed a little... but did not see where anyone has ever tried it to see how it works. Would love to here about anyone's experience doing this before I cut into my CCE mat. I do like practicing on this mat. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Specimen View Post
                          Hello, I am checking to see if anyone has ever added Gel to a 5' x 5' CCE mat. I have ordered a 36" x 20" piece of the Ultra Gel from the posted website. Hoping it will help make hitting off the CCE a little easier on my elbow. I see where it was discussed a little... but did not see where anyone has ever tried it to see how it works. Would love to here about anyone's experience doing this before I cut into my CCE mat. I do like practicing on this mat. Thanks!
                          I did this with a 10 x 30 CCE hitting strip. Honestly, I didn't see much difference at all. The CCE fibers are just so thick, that you never really get down to the gel. It's possible it makes a slight difference. I cut away all the foam to the hard backing that the fibers are attached to. The middle had a little more give, but it wasn't substantial.

Ive recently made my own Divot Action insert, and I'll never go back to anything else. I was able to make a homemade 12" x 24" divot action insert for roughly $50 and its incredible. My wrist and thumb issues have completely cleared up since using it instead. I plan on doing a step by step run down in the divot action thread at some point detailing the process. Really easy to make.

Comment

Working...
                          X