DIY Real Feel Golf Mat for only $271.50

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY Real Feel Golf Mat for only $271.50

I wanted to share the latest golf sim project I just finished. I wanted to make my golf mat feel a little softer and more like hitting down in the ground creating a divot. So you could spend $750 for a TrueStrike golf mat with a gel insert or you could do what I did for 1/3 the cost...and actually I think it's better.

I have the 5' X 5' ULTIMATE PAR COMMERCIAL DRIVING RANGE GOLF MAT from AllTurfMats.com. Cost $199.
    Link: http://www.allturfmats.com/product-p/utpq6060.htm

I bought a 18 in x 16 in Ultra Gel Pad from OnlyGel.com. Cost $72.50
    Link: https://onlygel.com/index.php/motorc...stock-232.html

I flipped my turf over and cut out a section of the foam bottom and placed the gel pad below the turf. I didn't glue it or anything. This gel pad is 5/8 in thick and that was exactly the thickness of the foam padding below my turf. So it fit perfect.

This feels so much better now. You can hit down and compress the ball and it feels like actually making a divot. Doesn't have any hard feel like before. I definitely recommend others doing something similar. You won't regret it. I also like this method because you don't have any insert and everything looks clean on top with no cut outs or mismatching turf colors.

The biggest tip is to use a oscillating multi-functional power tool (see what I mean in picture). This was the easiest way to cut out the foam. It only took about 30 minutes to cut it out.

If anyone else does this post back your results and how you like it! But definitely recommend others trying this!!!

See attached pictures!

Originally posted by Jtangm04 View Post
    Looking at ebay for gel inserts. They sell smaller pieces so it cuts the costs a little bit. What thickness are you guys buying. Seems to range from 3/8 to 1 inch thick. It is possible to have too thick a gel pad?
    5/8" generally to match the base layer that is cut out

Comment

Will this work to get the mat for the gel? https://www.amazon.com/Genesis-GMT15...ion+power+tool

Comment

• andygg1986
        andygg1986 commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes that looks like it will work. It says it comes with a flush cut blade which is what you need.

• BamaGambler
        BamaGambler commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks! I'll order it now.

Anybody cut out the foam backing of the CCE and put this padding in instead? I have a 10" x 30" CCE strip and I'm thinking of cutting out the foam underside of the CCE and putting this in underneath the ball. My lower back and left wrist can't take anymore of the CCE as is.

Comment

• andygg1986
        andygg1986 commented
        Editing a comment
        I wouldn't bother with trying to do that. The fibers on the CCE are so long that your club doesn't hit the foam, so there wouldn't be any benefit to having a softer material there.

Originally posted by andygg1986 View Post
      I wouldn't bother with trying to do that. The fibers on the CCE are so long that your club doesn't hit the foam, so there wouldn't be any benefit to having a softer material there.
      Yeah, I know the fibers are long and coarse, but I thought if you cut away the support foam underneath that it would allow the grass more room to "give". Thought maybe the grass would then compress and push down in to the gel insert. Just checking to see if anyone had tried it with the CCE. You're most likely right, would probably better better off buying a hitting strip with less turf on top.

Comment

• andygg1986
        andygg1986 commented
        Editing a comment
        The allturfmats 11" x 4' hitting strip only costs $25 with free shipping, which is quite a bit less than the cost of the gel. Personally I would go that route since you could cut it to be the same size as your CCE strip and then drop it in.

Mike and others, thanks for sharing.

I have had a CCE since 2008 or so. Still looks like new, and was an amazing improvement over the junk mats you see at driving ranges. That said, it absolutely does beat you up with fat shots. Penalizing the shot is one thing, but hammering your wrists and elbows is another. As others on this thread have noted, the CCE is also a bit too soft underfoot.

Very much looking forward to giving this a go. I just ordered everything and went all out. 5 x 5 mat, 18" x 36" gel and Bosch GOP-40 oscillating multi tool. I was going to by the Rockwell, but after reading a bunch of reviews, decided on the new Bosch.

Comment

Awesome! Glad to see you dive in. You won't regret it! Mine has held up great. No issues! Only recommendation if you buy the All Turf and Gel is to have a very thin board cut out same size as Gel and placed below the Gel to push it up very tight against the top turf. This takes away any potential bubbles. Guarantee you will love the feel! Post pics when you set this up!

Comment

• Godfather
          Godfather commented
          Editing a comment
          Especially since the foam backing is supposed to be 5/8", but measures 3/4" (on mine anyway).

• Ookie
          Ookie commented
          Editing a comment
          Will do. I'll keep everyone posted when it arrives. Now that the novelty of CCE has worn off, I'm looking forward to the next best thing. Mike, you should think about selling these commercially if you can finish them clear with the board underneath. Shipping cost may be the only killer.

I built one. It was really easy with that multifunction tool. Just check out of the pictures and posts in this thread. Very happy with the result.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Great thread. Going to order the matt and gel pad and give it a shot.

Comment

I'm building my simulator setup now and don't have a mat yet. What would everyone recommend for the base mat if i an going to do this mod?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Comment

Anyone received any black friday promo codes for the mat or gel website?

Comment

Anymore feedback on this setup? I am going to go this route I believe, and was wondering if anyone had anything else to add.

Thanks Mike80 for the original post!

JC

Comment

Have bought the map and the gel pad just arrived. Will be giving this a shot this weekend.

Comment

Ditto! I ordered a 4' by 11" mat today plus a gel strip. Intend on making my own stance mat out of an eva foam gym mat and gluing some artificial grass turf to it. Will report back how I get on!

Comment

I bought a 1x2 panel to test and some turf and rubber foam to make more with hopefully better foam height. Hopefully this weekend I'll get it sorted.

I also made my own version of an insert similar to DivotAction that is working nicely. I need to keep using it to see how durable it is. I bought several rubber foams to test.

Comment

Originally posted by dborden0 View Post
                        I'm building my simulator setup now and don't have a mat yet. What would everyone recommend for the base mat if i an going to do this mod?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
                        I recommend the mat I suggested in the original post from All Turf Mats. It's a great price and not too thick which allows the feel of the gel and also feels great when standing on it (not squishy or too thick like the Monster Turf). The two key points with setting up the gel is to make sure to have the mat mounted to the floor so it doesn't slide. Then make sure to place a think board same size as gel cut out pushing the gel up tight against the turf. Before I did this I had little loose turf bumps. But now its pushed up tight and is perfect. I've had no issues with the gel setup. Still working great!

Comment

Working...
                        X