Announcement

Collapse

TGC Tour - Congratulations!

Congrats to @Sascha and @shank12u (NET) and @shank12u (GROSS) winning the TGC 2018 FALL TOUR - The CJ Cup Nine Bridges !

Join this weeks TGC 2018 FALL TOUR - World Golf Championship with 2 rounds at Loa Pali Golf Resort - ProTee : https://golfsimulatorforum.com/forum...f-championship
See more
See less

Smooth roll over putting sensor with carpet on top

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smooth roll over putting sensor with carpet on top

I am about to put a carpet over my putting sensor. I need to decide on the carpet and to cut the "holes" so that the sensor can "see" the ball. I am not able to find much instruction.

I have a hard time imagining how the ball can roll smoothly over the holes in the carpet. I would imagine (unless it is a 100 km/h put like at the end of this: https://youtu.be/LQGbckYi_5o) the ball changing direction crossing the holes - or maybe even stop in the hole.

How to make the ball roll smoothly over the holes? Do you need to cut them in a certain way? Need a special carpet? "Stuff" the holes with something, like very clear plexiglass or something?

Understand your apprehension. I used high end carpet tile. It does not really have any nap but is more like matted fibres. It is used in high traffic commercial applications.

I cut the slits for the sensor as accurately and narrow as possible.

The slits in the carpet have never changed the direction of the ball and it's not likely that the ball will ever stop in the slits unless you plan on hitting 20 cm putts.

Try making a trial setup with the material that you are planning to use. That should give you a better idea.

To be fair, I have noticed times when the ball bounces a little when travelling over the slits but this has more to do with the natural rolling motion of the ball ( find a slow motion close up of a rolling golf ball and you will see that it never really rolls smoothly).

Hope this helps.
    ​​​​​​

Comment

Thanks aja . Not sure exactly what it is that you used ("high end carpet tile"). Can you provide a link or something?

Comment

• aja
        aja commented
        Editing a comment
        The carpet tile is Interface Superflor. You should be able to find more about it on the internet.

make sure you do the best job on the first strip - it's the one that will matter the most (if the second one makes it bounce or redirect, it won't matter since the putting read is registered the instant the show hits the sensor). The natural tension here is that you want the strips narrow to address your concern, but the more narrow it is the more likely it is you could have with shadows or threads triggering the sensors.

Comment

I had a chance to take some pictures of the flooring and the cut outs for the putting sensor.

The pictures show lots of carpet fibres over the actual cutouts, but in reality they are hardly noticeable and definitely do not interfere with the sensor's operation.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180204_135921.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	180.3 KB
ID:	144074

Name:	IMG_20180204_135909.jpg
Size:	228.1 KB
ID:	144075

Name:	IMG_20180204_135939.jpg
Size:	153.5 KB
ID:	144076

Comment

I had a lot of detection problems with mine when I had them cut that closely and had to widen it afterwards (which didn't go so well). Probably an installer issue!

Comment

Working...
          X