Announcement

Collapse

TGC Tour - Congratulations!

Congrats to @Wiscogolfnut (NET) and @Marc Andre (GROSS) winning the TGC 2019 SUMMER TOUR - 3M Open !

Join this weeks TGC 2019 SUMMER TOUR - John Deere Classic with 2 rounds at The Merion East Ardmore, PA (ProTee - Middle) : https://golfsimulatorforum.com/forum...-deere-classic
See more
See less

How often do you change golf balls when hitting on golf mat

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How often do you change golf balls when hitting on golf mat

I change golf balls every two weeks, after about 1500 shots on Trustrike Golf Mat.

When they start looking beat up they go in the bag for outdoors.

Side note - just split my first ball in a long time. It was the first Vice ball I've tried. Got a dozen of them and am pretty disappointed at how many swings I got out of it. Numbers were comparable to tour balls, and for outdoors they'd be lost way before they split, so nbd...just don't buy them for indoor use.

Comment

• jdgould
      jdgould commented
      Editing a comment
      I’ve never split a ball before until I tried my first and only Vice ball.

• frodaddy00
      frodaddy00 commented
      Editing a comment
      I've heard about Vice and got a couple to try out.. both of them split! Well one didn't split but it had this weird thing poking out the side almost looked like a nail. Sounds like you should just avoid these golf balls.

I've had good experience with other bargain priced tour balls: Cut, Snell, Kirkland

I use Titleist Pro V1x for SkyTrak practice and putting practice - there is no reason not to use game ball.

Comment

I have all brands of the top "tour" balls split from time to time. After a ton of hits you start to wonder why the ball feels dead, then look at the ball and it will be split. i'm a big fan of the Taylormade Project a golf balls for the sim because they launch low like the top "tour" balls and spin the same for half the cost.

Comment

I use the same ball until it either cracks or gets so dull looking I can't stand looking at it anymore. Usually what happens is the stamped logos are pretty much gone and the ball fails the scroungy look test.

As to cracking balls it helps if you have a LM like a GC2 which doesn't require any orientation with respect to the logo.That way you are not whacking the ball on the same spot all the time.

Since the balls last such a long there is really no reason not to use a top of the line ball. I use Prov1's. If couldn't afford a new ball every month or so I'd sell my LM since i would obviously be destitute.

Comment

If you are hitting in a cold garage, it seems to lower the life of a golf ball even more. I use all kinds of different balls, and the softer golf balls for me tend to feel nicer in the cold but split quicker. Provs, taylormades last quite a bit longer but even those split in a few hundred hits at best in the cold.

I use golf balls till they crack though.Then I sometimes proceed to hit them until the break into two separate pieces.

Comment

I change a sleeve of prov1 every week. I am probably hitting 1000-2000 each week. One week I split two of them.

About to switch to Wilson zips for the garage sim.

Comment

I usually get about 200-300 full shots before the cover splits.

Comment

Originally posted by Shardak View Post
                I usually get about 200-300 full shots before the cover splits.
                only 2-300 shots? What ball do you use?

Comment

I usually play tp5x's and have split probably 2 of them, just started playing those (after i got a plug on them 25 bucks for a dozen ) before then i use to play prov1x and ive split i think 1 or 2 of those, dont know how many hits all of them lasted though. some of them were used after playign with said ball outdoors too. Some times i use a ball i found just out on the course as well see how it performs in comparison to what ball i prefer to play i have a ball shagger filled with random balls i'll just hit every now and then or when im in between the last sleeve of a box and needing another box.

Comment

I use the Callaway Diablo Tour balls for practice on the range app and switch to the 'game' balls for the weekly tournament play. I've cracked open two sleeves of Vice balls, each ball lasted about 2 rounds of sim play. I think the premium balls don't last past a few rounds of sim golf, I've had a couple of Bridgestone 330 split as well.
                    Have gone through 4 dozens of the Diablo Tour in over a year of daily usage, switching out two dozens in about 7-8 months. Not one single Diablo ball has cracked open, they just get retired after the labels & cover start to show moderate wear (enough to endanger premature wearing of the Net Return netting).

Comment

So, what do you do with the sim-retirement premium balls that show wear but not split? Just trash them, or still use them in outdoor practice and plays?

Comment

• frodaddy00
                        frodaddy00 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        This is probably not conducive to good scoring but I just toss 'em in my golf bag and use them on my Saturday morning adventure on a real golf course.

Am I the only one who kinda prefers playing on my sim now? Less walking, don't lose balls, don't have to get up at the crack of dawn, don't have to clean my clubs afterwards...

• triplebogeysrbetter
                        Editing a comment
                        Your not the only one for sure. While I still love playing outdoors. The reason for buying and building my Sim. I do notice its curb my need to be on the course 4-5 times a week. I was jumping on every hotdeal from golfnow. Now I finish with work. Get the kids off and going with homework and night routines. Then I am out to the garage for two hours. I'm only playing WGT (I know ugh). This is year one for me. The initial cost has drain my budget. Next Winter I will invest in a gaming PC and TGC.

@Ryan - I throw those balls in my junker bag. If I'm on a water hole or insert hazard here. I pull one of them out.

I've thought about taking some to the outdoor range at some point, or just give them to friends who are just starting to learn how to play.

Comment

Just a suggestion, but if the ball is pretty worn but not yet cracked, use them with the driver. Spin difference will be nil. Only with mid to short irons will the lack of spin be noticeable from the worn cover. That way you can use them till they fail, just save those beat up ones for driver shots.

Use them on the sim that is, I wouldnt' personally use them on the course, could have some weird flight.

Comment

I use one ball for all shots with my SW, LW, and XW. I use a different ball for the remainder of the shots. I use two different balls to minimize the wear on the impact screen. I change both balls after about 2 rounds of warmup and sim play. The wedge ball is due to scuffing and the other ball because it cracks. I will use the wedge ball IRL since the performance should be fine since I never hit it hard.

Comment

Working...
                          X