Announcement

Collapse

TGC Tour - Congratulations!

Congrats to @R3dlineR6 (NET) and @Fantastish (GROSS) winning the TGC 2018/2019 SPRING TOUR - RBC Canadian Open !

Join this weeks TGC 2018/2019 SPRING TOUR - US Open with 3 rounds at Pebble Beach Golf Links ProTee : https://golfsimulatorforum.com/forum...g-tour-us-open
See more
See less

Skytrak alignment and misreads - BIG problem!! need help as close to giving up on it.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skytrak alignment and misreads - BIG problem!! need help as close to giving up on it.

I've owed my skytrak for a few months and until this weekend only used it outdoors. I was getting a lot of shots not registering and most shots going 40-50 yards left. The only way I could get more sensible/expected results was to close my unit to the target by around 30 degrees. I contacted skytrak and arranged for the unit to be tested. It was tested indoors and I was told that there is no problem with the unit and it working perfectly. I was pleased with this and put my bad experience with it down to the fact I used it outdoors. Over the last 2 weeks,I have had a major structural change to my property, had an upstairs wall removed and ceiling raised so I now have plenty of space. I have a projector fixed to the ceiling, connected to a laptop and a big white hitting screen with surround. The setup is perfect but I'm so disappointed with my skytrak unit. I've spent hours on forums reading about ball placement etc and I've tried it all but in my new indoor setup, I'm still getting loads of misreads and those big ridiculous left shots. I've only tested it with 3 clubs so far, 52 degree, 6 iron and driver. 52 degree gives a lot of readings and realistic results with the unit setup properly, but the 6 iron, lots of misreads and all going way left, to fix this, I had to close the unit by around 30 degrees. Driver was picking up most shots way left unless I close unit to target. I have tested with light on and off with similar results. I'm close to giving up on this unit but still hoping I can get some more suggestions/help. I'm going to buy a proper heavy mat that doesn't move and maybe I need to do something with the lighting but I'd imagine that might help with the number of misreads but won't solve the problem with the unrealistic 50 yard left shot. I'm desperate for help as I'm close to accepting that the unit just isn't as good as the advert suggests.

This may be a long shot but what’s on the wall behind you when lined up to the ball? It looks like you have a white wall there so maybe unit struggling to pick up the ball against it?

I only make this guess as yesterday I was having huge problems with no reads and when it would read 50% of them went way off to the right when they were hitting the centre of my net. My unit has generally worked well and produced accurate results against Trackman when tested so I was getting frustrated. I then noticed my wife’s running jacket had been hung on the treadmill behind me to dry and it’s super reflective in light. As soon as I moved the jacket the no reads stopped and I didn’t get the random shots way off to right.

Comment

Where is your ball impacting on the screen? Your setup looks very offset and to me it looks like you would need to be hitting your screen very close to the right hand wall. I used to have a similar setup and sub consciously you find yourself aiming at the middle of the screen hence the left shots. Not saying that is the issue but it’s something to think about.

Comment

Now that's interesting, the ball behind me is a light beige wall but I've tried it with the light off completely and with the same outcome.

Comment

• Morini
          Morini commented
          Editing a comment
          The ST has an IR strobe. It can reflect of white objects whether your lights are on or off.
          As I posted in the other thread, mark a target on your screen with tape or by hanging a string. Align ST so that shots that hit the target are read straight.

• FirGir
          FirGir commented
          Editing a comment
          I still wouldn't trust that light colored wall behind you at setup. Things have also gotten weird at times for me with light colored shoes, or grey pants, or using a variety of different balls as opposed to using a dozen of the same ball, or setting a bike wheel or aluminum ladder on the wall behind me at setup, or the ST not being set flush in the protective box, or having the ST set too high/low or set on the same mat, etc. It's a bit of a process but sounds like you're narrowing it down.

Morini, you'd have to be super accurate to hit a piece of string lol but I do get the idea and as simmb says, my setup is very right biased and maybe I am hitting left of my target, I'll test this out tomorrow although i'm very confident I wasn't hitting it 50 yards left of target. After I posted my initial message, I realised the skytrak's protective case legs were raised quite high so I brought these right down so more in line with the top of the mat and the misreads improved significantly. I'm just pleased there are people on here trying to help. I do have a supplementary question, the red dot on the ground is obviously in a different position when you put a mat down, should the ball be on the dot as you see it on the mat or should it be where the dot was before the mat was put down? Should ball placement be different for different clubs? I've read some people put higher lofted clubs behind dot and lower lofted in front or maybe the other way around, i'll try and find some more posts on this? Any other advice on setup or links to useful posts would be very much appreciated. Getting my room converted and buying skytrak is potentially the best xmas present I've ever had and don't want it ruined by being frustrated with it coz it's either not reading shots or giving silly results. Last thing while I remember, is there a particular mat that people would recommend for use with skytrak? I'm happy to pay for a good one. Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by David Williams 'Chips' View Post
          Morini, you'd have to be super accurate to hit a piece of string lol but I do get the idea and as simmb says, my setup is very right biased and maybe I am hitting left of my target, I'll test this out tomorrow although i'm very confident I wasn't hitting it 50 yards left of target. After I posted my initial message, I realised the skytrak's protective case legs were raised quite high so I brought these right down so more in line with the top of the mat and the misreads improved significantly. I'm just pleased there are people on here trying to help. I do have a supplementary question, the red dot on the ground is obviously in a different position when you put a mat down, should the ball be on the dot as you see it on the mat or should it be where the dot was before the mat was put down? Should ball placement be different for different clubs? I've read some people put higher lofted clubs behind dot and lower lofted in front or maybe the other way around, i'll try and find some more posts on this? Any other advice on setup or links to useful posts would be very much appreciated. Getting my room converted and buying skytrak is potentially the best xmas present I've ever had and don't want it ruined by being frustrated with it coz it's either not reading shots or giving silly results. Last thing while I remember, is there a particular mat that people would recommend for use with skytrak? I'm happy to pay for a good one. Thanks again.
          I hit the string about every third shot from my distance, which isn't too far. You don't have to hit it exactly to get the idea. If you use an impact screen, it should leave an indentation so you can tell how far off the mark you were. Also, the side spin/spin axis is on you, not alignment. Every 6 degrees of spin axis will move the ball 3.5% offline. The 5 degrees HLA would give you about 9% to the left, the rest is caused by spin axis.

Yes, good point about the case, I was going to add that to the list. If you are brave enough, hit with case off to eliminate that as a factor. The red dot does not have to be exact, but I'd suggest placing true bottom of ST slightly above ball (edit: meant bottom of the ball, ie. the top of your mat). The important thing is that the ball passes in front of the image sensor so that it can get two pictures of the ball. That is why lob wedges need to be in front of dot, and driver behind.
          Last edited by Morini; 12-15-2018, 11:58 PM.

Comment

Bottom of ST should be the same height as the top of your hitting surface. Also, your offset in the software doesn't appear to be enough, but it could just be the angle of the image. You should be able to measure from the wall to the laser dot and then at the screen measure from the wall to where your offset is. That will get you lined up. Also, are you standing on something to bring yourself up to the same height of your hitting surface? If not it may also contribute to your shot going left. In a previous setup, I was offset quite a bit and found myself unintentionally pulling the ball to the center of the screen.

Comment

You should stand at the same level as you have the ball. If you have a ball on a pad and it lies on the floor on which you stand, then the ball tends to fly to the left. It's the same as on course when you have a ball on a hill above the level of your feet.

Comment

Originally posted by Mirek_62 View Post
                You should stand at the same level as you have the ball. If you have a ball on a pad and it lies on the floor on which you stand, then the ball tends to fly to the left. It's the same as on course when you have a ball on a hill above the level of your feet.
                Makes sense buddy. I'm after a proper mat now, been building up on my setup gradually, this might help as i'll get it a big sized range mat and heavy so doesn't move. Any mat you recommend?

Comment

Originally posted by wbond View Post
                  Bottom of ST should be the same height as the top of your hitting surface. Also, your offset in the software doesn't appear to be enough, but it could just be the angle of the image. You should be able to measure from the wall to the laser dot and then at the screen measure from the wall to where your offset is. That will get you lined up. Also, are you standing on something to bring yourself up to the same height of your hitting surface? If not it may also contribute to your shot going left. In a previous setup, I was offset quite a bit and found myself unintentionally pulling the ball to the center of the screen.
                  This is as far as the offset would go to the right unfortunately buddy.

Comment

Then I would suggest at least having a strip or alignment aid on the ground in front of the screen that is straight down your target line. With the amount of stuff going on, it's easy to see how you could possibly be hitting the ball left.
                    Originally posted by David Williams 'Chips' View Post

This is as far as the offset would go to the right unfortunately buddy.

Comment

Ok, so I've got my misreads under control it seems. Buying a proper heavy mat and adjusting the height has done the trick, hardly any misreads now. I'm still far from convinced of the reliability and accuracy of the skytrak mind. Half hour ago, was hitting my 7I and first 2 or 3 shots using the range, I get my normal distance between 150 and 160 yards (albeit with unit closed to target around 25 degrees to stop it going off to the left too much) and then equally good strikes, starts giving me 110 to 130 yards which I could tell by the feel of the strike was absolute nonsense. I closed down the range session, started again and starts giving my normal yardage again. Anybody else had this experience where the unit starts giving unrealistic yardage based on the feel of the strike? It's no coincidence than when I closed down the session and started again, started giving me an extra 20 yards. I want to use the skytrak to its full potential and commit to buying 'The Golf Club' software but I'm very reluctant in committing to another £715 if I don't have the confidence in the unit giving realistic and accurate numbers. I want to love this unit but finding it hard to right now. Thanks again, Dave

Comment

Good to hear that misreads are down.

With regards to shots going left, you need to narrow it down some. Did you try what was suggested earlier? Align ST parallel to target line. If shots that are confirmed straight (as determined) by impact on screen) has ST HLA of more than say 4 degrees, you have a problem.

Comment

• maine skytrak
                          maine skytrak commented
                          Editing a comment
                          could you please elaborate more on this... little confused "ST HLA"?, what does that mean and what are you looking at to determine it? Thanks

could you please elaborate more on this... little confused "ST HLA"?, what does that mean and what are you looking at to determine it? Thanks
                        Skytrak Horizontal Launch Angle: It can be read straight off the driving range screen. It is the initial left right direction of the ball compared to skytrak's alignment.

It is the first thing you should check when having doubts about the accuracy of the ST. It has been posted many times before, but here are my steps:

1. Place a target on your screen or net (piece of tape or hang a string).
                        2. Align ST parallel to target line (eyeball is good enough).
                        3. Use a mid iron and hit a largerish chip shot at the target (say 20 yards). It is fairly easy to hit very close to the target on such small swings.
                        4. Adjust ST alignment so that shots that hit the target (or very near) are read with HLA close to zero. The yards off line shouldn't be more than one.

This is how I calibrate my ST most of the time, and it only takes a few minutes. Do this step first. It will confirm horizontal alignment of ST. If you have to turn the ST more than say 10 degrees, I am fairly sure it needs to be recalibrated. Seth mentioned that this problem is extremely rare.
                        Last edited by Morini; 12-24-2018, 06:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Morini View Post

Skytrak Horizontal Launch Angle: It can be read straight off the driving range screen. It is the initial left right direction of the ball compared to skytrak's alignment.

It is the first thing you should check when having doubts about the accuracy of the ST. It has been posted many times before, but here are my steps:

1. Place a target on your screen or net (piece of tape or hang a string).
                          2. Align ST parallel to target line (eyeball is good enough).
                          3. Use a mid iron and hit a largerish chip shot at the target (say 20 yards). It is fairly easy to hit very close to the target on such small swings.
                          4. Adjust ST alignment so that shots that hit the target (or very near) are read with HLA close to zero. The yards off line shouldn't be more than one.

This is how I calibrate my ST most of the time, and it only takes a few minutes. Do this step first. It will confirm horizontal alignment of ST. If you have to turn the ST more than say 10 degrees, I am fairly sure it needs to be recalibrated. Seth mentioned that this problem is extremely rare.
                          Morini, thanks again for our continued support. If I understand you correctly then I've had a breakthrough (well kind of). I believe by HLA, you mean the bottom right reading on the range, left/right side angle? I followed your advice and hit 20-50 yards little chip shots with a 7i and with my unit square to target or within 10 degrees closed, my side angle was spot on as in 0-2. It seems that my issue for shots registering so far left is down to the unrealistic amount of left side spin. It may be that I need to use different balls? For my new indoor setup, I've only ever used the same ball so far, a TaylorMade TP5 but I recall using a variety of balls when I used it outdoors and was still getting the ball going an unrealistic distance left. Today, I was generating around 500 rpm left spin for little 20 yard shots with a 7i and the greater the distance, the greater the rpm left spin, the system read 1,500 rpm for a punched 7i that went 90 yards. A full 7i registered 2,500 left spin rpm. My problem now is how do I stop the unit giving me a very unrealistic left side spin? I believe if I can get this under control then I might start getting the best out of the unit. I look forward to any advice you can offer? Merry Christmas, Dave

Comment

Working...
                          X