Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Skytrak distances consistently too long [Verified with Trakman] Thoughts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skytrak distances consistently too long [Verified with Trakman] Thoughts?

Today I had the chance to use my Skytrak in a hitting bay with the Trackman at my home course. I was disappointed to see that the carry numbers I had been seeing all winter with my Skytrak are apparently "over reads." For example, my 7-iron on Skytrak reads 185 (which is a normal number I see with Skytrak), whereas the Trackman was giving numbers in the 165 range. This is one example, but basically, all the other clubs off-sets as well. There were occasional shots that did match up between ST and TM, but these were the exception.

It's important to note that my Skytrak elevation is set to 0 feet above sea level, and my actual elevation is about 500ft above sea level. To say the least, this is a frustrating discovery and I'm wondering if anyone else has come across this? Any ideas how to fix or re-calibrate? I'm staring here, but I'll most definitely be reaching out to ST customer service as well.

Additional info: The Skytrak and the Trackman were setup in a covered hitting area (no direct sunlight). The shots were hit out of the bay onto a real driving range, so distances could be observed.

Interesting end. Glad it worked out for you. the tip off the sktrak on the hitting matt is a good one as well.

Comment

I think that is a first. A hot skytrak. That would have been worth a mint!

Comment

I never would have expected that. I am not even sure how that is possible, but clearly it is. Not sure how the faulty flash could increase the distance between the centroids in the two images. It must be a timing issue where the flash somehow has a slight delay.

I am sorry you had to go through this experience, but at least it will help others to not be shy to assume hardware when there is no other explanation.

I am suspicious of the normalize function of the Trackman, especially if it is set to juice range balls, which of course ST won't. Second, I had real funky readings when I hit range balls, especially colored ones. A relatively simple and reliable way to verify ST data is to laser carry distance on a windless day (using premium balls). If you want apples to apples, hit off the same mat you use at home.

Comment

Awesome! That’s great news

Comment

LOL...."I knew something was up when my wife was hitting 175 yd 7 iron.." but men don't question when they are hitting 185 yd 7 irons.....

For the record, here is a link to the actual PGA tour members club averages. The average PGA Tour Pro carries a 7 iron about 172 yds. I would suggest that if you are hitting further on all your clubs than the tour pros and you are shooting consistently below par in the online tourneys, maybe....just maybe, your LM is a little too juiced or not reading right.

I will give the OP credit, I congratulate you for being I think the only person I know to complain about his LM giving readings that are too long. I think 99% of complaints I see are guys thinking they are being short changed.....lol.

Comment

Wow, I would never have guessed it to be a hardware issue. I suppose that makes sense if the flash module was bad that the image would be very dim = apparently smaller diameter golf balls in the image = farther apart = faster ball speed. Glad you got that one sorted! That ball speed discrepancy between ST and TM was definitely an indicator that one of the systems was not working correctly.

Comment

I considered this exact logic, but assumed ST measures from centre to centre (in which case dimness would not make a difference)
                Last edited by Morini; 06-29-2019, 12:21 AM.

Comment

I have the same problem. 4-7 irons all read about 20-30 yards longer than in real life. The type of ball or mat used makes no difference. All other clubs seem to be fairly accurate.

Comment

Working...
                  X