Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm Back

Hi all,

It's me. It's been way too long and I apologize for the lack of communication over the last several months. There have been a number of changes in the company and I've let the forum slip from my plate and there's no excuse for that. You guys are primarily what got us to this point and I've personally let you down, essentially since the PGA show.

1) To answer some floating questions about my role in the company, I have always served as the Director of Software Development for SkyTrak. Earlier this year, I accepted a new role as VP of Development and UX. In the transition period, I've had to coordinate new projects and assemble new teams. But most impactful to our end-users, our plans of releasing v3.4 were subject to serious overhauls of our entire system as it relates to end-user privacy and security. While the features in v3.4 aren't necessarily ground-breaking nor what I would consider major feature upgrades, some of the new features required us to make behind-the-scenes changes, in cooperation with the SkyGolf team, to make sure we are in accordance with new GDPR standards and privacy laws. While we did not have any serious security issues, we did feel that in view of the recent notoriety of security breaches of several much larger and well-known companies, including social media, that it was best for our company and our customers to bite the bullet and implement security upgrades to avoid any vulnerabilities, regardless of how small they may have been. We never foresaw it taking this long and I certainly didn’t want to feed you empty promises along the way, but it’s become increasingly apparent that being silent is no longer an option.

2) While v3.4 has been significantly delayed and has been the bottle neck for moving forward, we have been pressing forward with several new features in the interim.

3) SkyTrak is certainly not going out of business - we aren't going anywhere. Sales are stronger than ever and we are constantly looking for new ways to improve the product. Just because I have been absent on the forum doesn't mean that we are not continually looking for feedback and new ideas. Jordan has been an invaluable resource in gathering customer feedback on the forum and helping alleviate some support-related concerns in my absence, and his involvement with the forum will continue to expand.

4) I always have your best interest at heart. I know it may not be of much consolation due to the lack of communication but please know that my sole focus has been, and always will be, you as the end-user. I know the past few months have been frustrating for you. I feel your pain, believe it or not. This is my life focus and I want SkyTrak to succeed in every capacity.

5) While I can’t give any concrete answers software, I still want to re-open the communication lines and also squash any rumors or ideas that the company or the product is in trouble. I will make a sincere effort to be more present on the forums during this time and please know that I am always fighting for you as our customers that you may have the best experience possible with SkyTrak.

-Seth

Hey all, still here. I had the family on vacation the last 2 weeks and just getting back to reality. Unfortunately I still don't have answers on a release date. All I can do is try to support you guys the best I can on here and work behind the scenes to make sure that things are ready to go whenever I get the green light.

Comment

Impossible to know what really is going on. I am fairly sure that they are working hard at releasing something, and that the delay is not intentional.

The question then becomes whether they are prioritizing updates, and are giving it the resources they should. If not, is this a good or bad business decision (ethics aside).

I am going to take a wild guess that 60,000 ST have been sold. (I could be off by multiples in either direction). That brings in $6,000,000 a year in game improvement revenue (assuming that all users choose to pay for it).

In commercial systems, such arrangements are common. I have heard top coaches call Trackman bandits, as the annual fees are HUGE. The commercial market grudgingly accepts it. And Trackman has delivered. The same top coaches rave about Trackman's new features.

ST on the other hand have mostly consumer owners, and I am sure most are NOT happy paying the annual fee. BUT I am sure it is part of the greater pricing structure. Without the fee, the selling price would have been higher.

Having said that, I am sure that a fair amount of Skytrak units are sold via word of mouth. Having satisfied customers helps in that regard. Having Seth post regularly was very reassuring, and I am sure that at least some based their buying decision on that. I believe that more transparency would help. People can be patient if they feel like they are in the loop. Some brief regular updates would do wonders. Address the high ball speed fixes. What did testing show, and what can we expect in terms of improvement. My son will be moving into the high ball speed range over the next year, and if I was buying now, in absence of new information, I would hold off or go GC2.

Comment

• Pawpaw
        Pawpaw commented
        Editing a comment
        I dont know how many have sold but "quote" Sales are stronger than ever

For my 100 dollars I would expect major releases of the software twice year. I do not believe we had anything yet this year. I think a grahpics update was mentioned but I do not see a difference....still graphics from 2010.

Comment

IMO Rapsodo was devoting most resources to their new radar launch monitor which limited anything new with sky track. Now they are past that hopefully updates will follow

Comment

• SkyTrak_Seth
          SkyTrak_Seth commented
          Editing a comment
          Rapsodo develops our hardware, they have no impact on our software delivery schedule. And we have plenty of great devs. Sometimes it's just not as easy as it seems - GDPR and security was a huge bridge to cross, but there are other factors at play.

• trumb1mj
          trumb1mj commented
          Editing a comment
          What are the other factors? A year since the last bug fix is completely unacceptable in my industry—why is it fine in golf tech?

• SkyTrak_Seth
          SkyTrak_Seth commented
          Editing a comment
          Not everything can be discussed in a public forum.

I have to say that I love my SkyTrak. I have had little to no issues with mine so far. From what I have seen it’s just as accurate as trackman and I have hit on both.

Comment

I think we all got a bit spoilt last year, Skytrak released a lot of updates in the past few years, I think it was 7 in 2018 alone. They could have held back releases and trickle fed them to us throughout 2019 to keep people happy but they didn't and they gave us a lot in a short space of time. I say let them just do what they have to do, something will come eventually.

Comment

At its price point the SkyTrak is a fookin' miracle in my opinion. I can't achieve super high ball speeds, (because I"m old and short) which seems to be a problem for some, but that aside mine has been a godsend. I'm amazed at how well it does work. Seriously, .....amazed. There is a whole lot of very slick tech going on in these things and pretty flawlessly.

So YAY! SkyTrak! Any additions or corrections in the future will of course be appreciated but keep up the good work.!

Comment

• Morini
              Morini commented
              Editing a comment
              Totally agree. Without the ST in the market, I would have been without the use of accurate launch monitor device. It would have cost me untold amounts in gas, range balls and inconvenience to replicate the benefits. In fact, I couldn't replicate it since hitting at the range involves subpar range balls and no data to analyze.

In terms of the underlying technology, it is actually quite simple as far as i understand. Hobby photographers have been using inexpensive DIY photo triggered flash technology to capture bullets etc mid flight for years. Bullets are a lot harder to photograph in that they are much faster than a golf ball, but easier in that they travel at known velocities and trajectories. If I spent $500 and a few hundred hours tinkering I could probably manage to build something that captures two photos of the ball. I would not have the skill to process the images to determine the ball data, nor developing a ball flight model. As an overall package Skytrak is very impressive, and a total game changer.
              Last edited by Morini; 08-01-2019, 08:35 PM.

I was praying the TruGolf eConnect would show up available today. Sad.

Comment

why today? Did you read something somewhere? Not that I am interested in it but I am interested in competition.

Comment

10 months and counting... when is the next bug fix coming out? If bug fixes aren’t a priority, gdpr is complete than what is coming next? Why should I pay for your software?

Comment

Seth, here's a thought I'd like to throw out there-

My hitting setup has the tee-off area to the right of center of my screen due to space limitations. (I think this is a fairly frequent problem people have.) There is the offset slider in SkyTrak to help this but I find the way it is set up kind of visually confusing, it looks like the center line in now angling away from you.
                  TGC/TGC2019 has an offset that keeps the aiming point looking straight but slides the center over however much you set, which for me looks more like I'm hitting in the right direction. (When I occasionally actually hit straight).

Any thoughts on this? I have no idea how hard it would be to implement, but to me at least, it seems like a more natural hitting direction.

Thanks for your time.

Comment

Yeah, I get what you are saying. We had to do it that way because we aren't currently dealing with a true 3D environment. I know it's not much consolation at this point, but whenever we can get these updates out, the new graphics will solve exactly what you are talking about.

Comment

• trhuke
                      trhuke commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I'm cool, I don't expect everything yesterday, but the eventual update will be nice. Nice to know you share my thoughts on the alignment thing. Thanks for the response! Cant tell you how much joy the SkyTrak has brought me. Entertainment, my game improved, something to do over the long midwest winter. Instead of getting fat over the winter I actually lost about ten pounds and put about 20-25 yards on my drives.

Keep up the good work!

when are these updates likely to be released? A lot of annual subscriptions for almost a year of no updates.

Comment

• trhuke
                      trhuke commented
                      Editing a comment
                      trumb1mj, do you have a professional background in software development? Honest question.

• trumb1mj
                      trumb1mj commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Yes. I have worked in various industries as a software engineer for 12 years.

• SkyTrak_Seth
                      SkyTrak_Seth commented
                      Editing a comment
                      If I could tell you a date I would, but it's out of my hands. The only thing I can do is still try to help out here in the meantime the best I can.

You'd think Seth and Skytrak were working on government intelligence software with the secrecy. This is absolutely insane. No updates in almost a year... How on earth can you operate a business like this?

Comment

i do understand somewhat where seth is coming from... when you have to answer to people above sometimes you cant do or say too much.. BUT you also need to answer for everyone who keeps your business alive in that of the consumer. with little to no information, no updates, the masses get a little weary. seen it all before. either people will sell the product and purchase GC2, Uneekor etc OR new prospective buyers will look elsewhere.
                      Last edited by frankiepap39; 08-17-2019, 04:14 AM.

Comment

• Dan McWhirter
                        Dan McWhirter commented
                        Editing a comment
                        My SkyTrak, its app and the e6 sim are just fantastic! For a very reasonable two grand plus subscriptions. But! I am weary of waiting for the most fabulous eConnect sim to be integrated.

• frankiepap39
                        frankiepap39 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        they could very well come out in the next few months with e6 connect, completely new software etc. but who knows?!
                    Working...
                    X