I have figured out why Skytrak is not selling like hot cakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have figured out why Skytrak is not selling like hot cakes

A guest has to get comfortable hitting in a closed space which takes time, therefore frustrating. Also, the screen setup is difficult and expensive. While 2k is a great price for what you get, the hurdles mentioned make it hard to multiply. I love mine, but a great screen took months and all guests don’t swing freely until they’ve been over half a dozen times. It takes 6-7 K to get a setup and with the marketing obstacles equals small sales, no trugolf relationship and no updates

Aside from the mentioned high ball speed issue, the SkyTrak software isn’t broken that it needs constant patching to fix. Seth and co. mentioned wanting to add some new features and potentially update existing ones. Nothing dire.
    SkyTrak is fairly active on their Twitter feed, albeit mostly marketing hype.
    Folks are still able to contact SkyTrak for issues with their unit.
    But to say it’s no longer supported is absurd. You should be the one proving it’s not supported instead of continuing to state your opinion as facts.

Comment

• Morini
      Morini commented
      Editing a comment
      I know this is a total coincidence, but Seth's last name is Frack.

Well, I feel fairly certain that if by mid April, the SkyTrak unit can't do my taxes and wash and wax my car it is definitely no longer supported...... an Interstellar, faster than light travel feature would be a plus and reassure me I'd made a good buy, as far as that goes.

Comment

I’m mainly annoyed that club data integration for R-motion appears in limbo as both SkyTrak and Rapsodo appear to have gone dark in this regard.

Based on a PM exchange with Seth I bought an R-motion as he said that device would be supported when club data was addressed again. My fault but I interpreted that to be in the next 3-6 months.

Rapsodo seems to be silent on TGC 2019 integration so I’ve paid for this device and barely used it (but too late to return) as it’s clunky to use SkyTrak on PC and R-motion on phone (I also heard the phone app has issues compared to TGC). I guess I can try to link them using original TGC but seems like a pretty poor solution.

My fault for jumping the gun but I did feel this integration was close. Otherwise my software works fine and the fee wouldn’t annoy me as I’m generally happy but it does feel like club data integration was teased pretty hard to sit for a year.

Comment

Most golfers are simply not serious enough about the game to dedicate their garage or a room in their house to doing this.

Skytrak is a niche product for a niche market. And that's perfectly okay. Not everything has to sell like hotcakes. It has nothing to do with marketing or updates or anything else. I love baseball but I'm not about to put a batting cage in my backyard. Certain things are just niche products and that's just how it is.

Comment

• Gazpacho
          Gazpacho commented
          Editing a comment
          Well stated, I think you nailed it

Originally posted by 3on3putt View Post
        Most golfers are simply not serious enough about the game to dedicate their garage or a room in their house to doing this.

Skytrak is a niche product for a niche market. And that's perfectly okay. Not everything has to sell like hotcakes. It has nothing to do with marketing or updates or anything else. I love baseball but I'm not about to put a batting cage in my backyard. Certain things are just niche products and that's just how it is.
        You don't have to dedicate a room in your house or your garage to do it though. I use mine almost exclusively at the driving range or into a net in my back garden. I link it to my iPad without any projector screen or projector or dedicated hitting area etc. therefore it can be setup for practice purposes relatively cheaply. Considering the cost of a Skytrak is probably not too far away from the cost of a new set of irons, a 3W and a driver then I reckon more people would benefit from the Skytrak than the new clubs lol

Andy

Comment

Originally posted by AndyF View Post

You don't have to dedicate a room in your house or your garage to do it though. I use mine almost exclusively at the driving range or into a net in my back garden. I link it to my iPad without any projector screen or projector or dedicated hitting area etc. therefore it can be setup for practice purposes relatively cheaply. Considering the cost of a Skytrak is probably not too far away from the cost of a new set of irons, a 3W and a driver then I reckon more people would benefit from the Skytrak than the new clubs lol

Andy
          No, you don't have to dedicate a space on your property to do it. But my point remains that most golfers are simply not serious enough about the game to spend 2 grand on a launch monitor to take to the range so they can measure their spin rate and launch angle. Heck, most casual players can't even explain what those things are.

Look around at the people at a golf course on a weekend, especially at a public course. The majority are there to drink beer with their buddies. They probably play a dozen rounds per year. They just don't care enough to drop significant coin to own something like a Skytrak. They don't take lessons, they don't get fitted for clubs, and they sure as heck aren't buying a launch monitor.

And even going beyond that, what percentage of people even play golf at all? A quick google search looks like around 8 percent. Of those, probably 80% don't care enough to buy something like a Skytrak.

Again, there's nothing wrong with being a niche product for a niche market. Just because not everyone we know owns a Skytrak doesn't mean they are somehow failing as a business.

Comment

An SC300 does just about the same thing for 25-33% of the price in that case, Andy. Especially since they added the phone app for graphical analysis post session.

IMO, the SkyTrak is the choice if you want to drive a simulator “cheaply”. Otherwise, it’s overkill for a temp net and banging balls...unless you absolutely need the graphic output feedback.

Comment

Wizard banged balls into a net with skytrak for 3 years on the skytrak range. Learned carry numbers and improved outdoor game immensely. He used iPad connected to a tv. After 40 years of golfing and never breaking 2.3 hdcp skytrak /net/range/skypro took him on a nice trip to 0.4hdcp. He obviously couldn't have gotten there without it.
              40 years lowest 18 hole score 2 under 70
              3 yrs skytrak/ skypro low 18 hole score 66

Comment

while I have not data my guess would be sales are on a decline...it is that way with any not have to have product. There was a lot more going on 2years ago...we had new software vendors coming every 6 months or so, updates to the skytrak software every 6 months or so...I have not seen or heard about an update for a while now...

TGC 2019 is a great but it really is the only new software in the last year. I still enjoy my skytrak.

Comment

Wiz—

Don't get me wrong, I think the ST is a great tool! But you can get just about the same amount and quality of data from a Swing Caddie 300.

I have both. I use both in my sim room—sometimes simultaneously, but only the SC on a real range.

My point is, if I just wanted to bang balls into a net, yes I could use the ST very effectively. But I could also use the SC300...and forgo the immediate graphical visual feedback...for $450. Not too shabby! Introduce the course sim or the desire for a ball flight visual, and the equation changes....as does the price by $1000 to start.

Comment

Niche product for sure. But making some headway. They do put commercials on Golf Channel.

For serious golfer's there are good economic & game improvement arguments for ST:
                    • Saving hundreds of dollars in range ball fees annually
                    • Saving gas and travel time to range.
                    • Ability to practice 24/7.
                    • More accurate ball flight data versus range balls
                    • Numeric data produced for spin, HLA, VLA, ballspeed
                    • Data is easily exported and analyzed.
                    • Random/challenge mode make practicing more interesting.
                    • Unless access to grass tees, potential for higher quality mat.
                    Other than the cost of the ST itself, all that is needed is a newer phone or tablet, space, and a net.

Comment

What else is even a comparison at $2000 that you can use indoors and outdoors and with an iPad and The Golf Club software?? (real question)

Comment

golfun2 agree 100%. Skytrak and tgc own the “low” end simulator market. There is no real competition at this price point right now. While $3000 for skytrak n tgc is still pricey for many, and adding in computer, screen, mat, n projector bumps it up more, it is still the most econmical system available. As others have said it’s a niche product. People who have played mine often ask about getting one themselves, but after having a space adequate for it and I mention overall cost desire diminishes greatly.

Comment

But seriously what is the closest priced system to it?

Comment

Flightscope at 8k?

Comment

Working...
                            X