Announcement

Collapse

TGC Tour - Congratulations!

Congrats to @Todd Morgan (NET) and @Joe_S (GROSS) winning the TGC1 2020 FALL TOUR - The RSM Classic !

Join this weeks TGC1 2020 FALL TOUR - Mayakoba Golf Classic. We are playing 2 rounds at Quarry Ridge Protee Pin 1: https://golfsimulatorforum.com/forum...a-golf-classic
See more
See less

Skytrak is reading shots at 30% lower yardage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skytrak is reading shots at 30% lower yardage

I have leveled the unit, used tees/no tees, shoes no shoes, backdrop is dark, WiFi/direct etc..

I get no misreads, ball path seems right but EVERY shot is 30% or so short.

8 iron goes 150 - Skytrak reads 120
    3HB goes 200 - Skytrak reads 160 etc...... Can’t Drive a ball past 160

Any Ideas?

Did you just start using it? Indoor swing syndrome is real. Thought mine was defective. After a week of use it is spot on.
    Also, is it not only level but the same height as your hitting surface?

Comment

First, read https://gunghogolf.com/articles/indo...ndrome-skytrak and https://gunghogolf.com/articles/how-...n-your-skytrak.

Next, check where you're making ball-club contact by using some white foot spray powder on the face - many new indoor sim users hit fat most of the time and don't even know it, and the ball contact high on the face, combined with the mat taking clubhead speed off before contact, could easily drop your distances by 30%.

Next - what altitude do you play at? If it's significantly higher than sea level, make sure you've changed the altitude in SkyTrak's session settings, and while you're in there, make sure you haven't accidentally given yourself a strong north wind to hit into.

Next - make sure you're using newish balls. A ball will dramatically lose speed off the club (and carry) right before it's ready to crack, but before you can see a problem with it.

Finally (and please don't take this personally): how do you know your real yardages, and what's your handicap? Are you CERTAIN you're not just remembering your best shots, carry + roll out, and have those numbers stuck in your head? One of the great things about having an accurate launch monitor like the SkyTrak is that you will soon know your actual carry numbers (average!), and your scores will drop with that information.
      Last edited by GungHoGolf; 10-20-2020, 05:12 AM.
      - Ron at GungHoGolf.com - visit my site for instructional articles and reviews

Comment

• rmoons14
        rmoons14 commented
        Editing a comment
        Update: I did everything you said plus 2 key items... 1)I forgot to remove the clear sticker tape over sensor and 2)removed a metal sign behind hitting area. everything seems to be good now. Thanks for your help!

• GungHoGolf
        GungHoGolf commented
        Editing a comment
        Glad to hear it! Thanks for the update.

• jefe
        jefe commented
        Editing a comment
        Do you think it was that protective sticker from shipping being the main cause?

What they said

Comment

Great advice Ron. It is almost always indoor swing and/or club mat interaction. Eliminate the latter by hitting iron shots off short tee. Also excellent advice to worry about carry only. Rollout is simply to course/hole/weather/season dependent.

With regards to elevation, I think it is 1.2% per 1000 feet, so non factor unless you are in Denver.

Comment

did skytrak ever figure out the ball speed issue? I swear I've seen a few people post like reasonable ball speeds like 180+ on their skytraks on twitter, yet I cant see it addressed anywhere on this forum

Comment

• Morini
            Morini commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes, in gunghogolf's facebook group for example, long drive competitor Kevin Blenkhort posted screen cap of a drive with 217 ball speed. I'd say its fixed.

Originally posted by Pinhigh27 View Post
          did skytrak ever figure out the ball speed issue? I swear I've seen a few people post like reasonable ball speeds like 180+ on their skytraks on twitter, yet I cant see it addressed anywhere on this forum
          I do believe they did release an update which addressed higher ball speeds. I too have seen others posting higher ball speed stuff that seems much more consistent.

Comment

rmoons14 do you think it was primarily that protective tape? I hit my 7 iron, on the fly, about 165. On the Skytrak I am about 150. I might be hitting it fat on my pad (Country Club Elite). Hitting a new Titleist. Used GungHoGolf alignment article and the back of my FMJ is perfectly level with the top of the CCE pad. I also use a black moving blanket behind me when I hit to ensure there's nothing reflective behind me. Also, a very important note, I am barely able to get 200yds on my drives. On the course, I range about 250-270 with roll out. So, subtracting out roll of 20-30 yds (which is higher in my opinion) I'm still not close... This eliminate hitting the ball fat on the pad... Any thoughts would be much appreciated

EDIT: Final thought... I'm sure it's indoor swing syndrome. I have totally flushed a few, really compressed it and can feel it off the club face. When I do that, my 7 iron is about 155yds as compared to 165 outdoors. Trying to think through every possibility!
            Last edited by jefe; 11-20-2020, 09:18 PM.

Comment

Post ball data. Most likely indoor swing. Height of actual unit level with mat, not bottom of case.

Comment

• jefe
                jefe commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks for the note! Ya, I turned the fmj around and made the back of the fmj, which is flush with the actual unit, level. I used a bubble level.

• Morini
                Morini commented
                Editing a comment
                Driver ball speed, spin and how?

Morini Full Stats here. Sorry, I don't know what you mean by "how"? Average of 5 best. To note, I just did this and really cranked the sh*t outta it. Hence the sightly higher number than my previous note. Don't think I can do that again and not pull a muscle.
              • Ball Speed - 137
              • Launch - 11.1
              • Back Spin - 2901
              • Side Spin - L493
              • Side Launch - R0.6
              • Height - 28yds
              • DSCNT - 39
              • Club - 91 (this seems pretty low. I was 96-98 on a Swing Caddie a month ago )
              • Carry - 209YDS
              Last edited by jefe; 11-21-2020, 08:41 PM.

Comment

91 club speed is about right for 137 ball speed. That's a 1.50 smash factor so that adds up. The 11 degree launch is a bit low so I wouldn't expect it to carry much without a ton of spin. Without running it through a ball flight model I'd say 209 carry is probably about right.

Comment

• 3on3putt
                  3on3putt commented
                  Editing a comment
                  What's the elevation where you live and what do you have it set at? Play around with the flightscope shot optimizer tool to check numbers. Your 209 carry looks to be correct. https://flightscope.com/products/trajectory-optimizer/

• jefe
                  jefe commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I actually JUST ran it through there. I'm in Austin Texas. So weird though I'm getting 250 on the course. Only explanation is indoor swing syndrome.

• 3on3putt
                  3on3putt commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Driver is the toughest club in the bag to accurately gauge distance on the course. Getting a launch monitor can be a shock to the system.
              Working...
              X