Announcement

Collapse

TGC Tour - Congratulations!

Congrats to @Jeremy (NET) and @Bradford (GROSS) winning the TGC 2018 SUMMER TOUR - The Greenbrier Classic !

Join this weeks TGC 2018 SUMMER TOUR - John Deere Classic with 2 rounds at Merion East Ardmore, PA (ProTee - Middle) : https://golfsimulatorforum.com/forum...-deere-classic
See more
See less

Acoustically transparent golf screens

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Acoustically transparent golf screens

Is there such a thing?

my sim is going in the main TV movie room and speaker placement is proving to be a problem.

I have my front speakers and my sub mounted behind the screen with no problem. I am using partopro hq screen. I see on their web site they no longer offer this screen. It looks like they only offer the new “quiet” type. That is a shame. It is a great product, and the clarity is amazing.

Comment

Have you had a specific problem? I ask because I place my front center speaker and 2 side speakers behind my screen and I have not experienced any loss in volume are quality. I've used several different screens and I am currently using one I got from mfg with the guys on the forum.

Comment

I also have 3 in wall speakers behind my screen and have the 2nd round screen from DBgolf. I would say there is a very slight loss in volume, but no loss in quality. I was initially worried about the volume and quality of sound since the screen is so thick, but I have been pleasantly surprised. I also had the basic Carl's screen before and it was definitely acoustically transparent.

Comment

Hi BWJones gene438 and Kent - I wonder if any of you can help me with a question (or anyone else who has experience of speaker placement behind their screen)?

I’m working on a new build at the moment and I'm just trying to figure out the best solution for speaker placement behind my screen.

I have a Par2Pro SQ screen ordered and I am hoping to wall mount my front centre speaker and two side speakers behind the screen. For acoustic reasons, I want them behind the screen, not behind the trim surrounding the screen. Par2Pro say that the screen does not need padding or netting behind it, but I am concerned about a whether the need for 12” behind the screen suggests that the speakers are likely to get damaged in that area?

They are wall mount speakers and with the mounts will be 8” proud of the wall. I have a 12” gap behind the screen. There is therefore only going to be 4” between the screen and the front of each speaker.

How are you ensuring that a ball does not still hit the screen so hard that it damages the speaker(s)?

Comment

• aja
            aja commented
            Editing a comment
            The impact screen only moves where the ball hits it, and then only a few inches.

Despite what Par2Pro says, it's still a better idea to use netting mounted tight against the impact screen to save wear and tear.

Mount the speakers well off to the sides, and the center speaker low enough that it's not in the primary impact area. For the center speaker location though, bear in mind that the impact screen must be anchored at the bottom to prevent it from riding up at impact and having balls go under it.

• GoldenSim
            GoldenSim commented
            Editing a comment
            Hi aja - thanks for the input. I appreciate the thoughts. It sounds like moving the screen to 18" away from the wall, and then adding netting tight behind the screen should be the best solution. With a 14" screen width, hopefully the speakers at the outside of that space will not see too many shots!! And that's a good point about anchoring the bottom of the screen. It feels like mounting the center speaker 12" off the ground might work well with the screen anchored in front of it. Thanks again for the suggestions

I have my speakers mounted very high and as far to the sides as possible. You could not hit my speakers with a golf shot because of the angle required. You would need to hit a very high flop shot.... which would not have enough velocity to move the screen to the speaker.

Comment

• GoldenSim
            GoldenSim commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks again for the input. The speakers already have enclosures so it's good to hear that boxing them would be OK. Then I could sort out protection of the speakers themselves. But you raise a good point about the damage to the screen. I had not thought of that. I will do some calculations and see if I could extend to 18" away from the wall with the screen. That could easily be the best solution, as it would give me 10" of clear space behind the screen to the front of the speaker. I guess I was trying to minimize "wasted" space behind the screen and give myself as much space as I can in front, but this seems like a good balance. Back to the drawing board!.....

You've now introduced a whole new potential issue regarding two sets of speakers... my plan had been to use my mid level surround sound speakers (Polk RM6750) for both theater sound and golf and computer sound. I was planning to route all sound through my Pioneer VSX-831 receiver. HDMI in from the computer, and then HDMI to the projector and audio to the surround sound speakers. I understand that the golf sim will not provide "surround sound" but my understanding was that I would still be able to get sound from all speakers. And that then I can have Netflix through the computer and with their app it's possible to get surround sound enabled. Is there something I'm missing? Is there a reason to have separate speakers?

• BWJones
            BWJones commented
            Editing a comment
            Seems like that should work. I did not want to run my computer sound thru my theater system just to make things easier...my wife uses the computer to do online workouts.

• GoldenSim
            GoldenSim commented
            Editing a comment
            OK - good to know. Thanks again for all the help
        Working...
        X