Mevo plus short indoors ball speed issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mevo plus short indoors ball speed issue

I have a Mevo plus I was using outside when I was in FL for the month of Feb. It worked great in the outside environment. When I got home, I set it up in my newly constructed simulator. The Mevo plus is reporting indoors for ball speed and carry is considerably down from the outside numbers. Outside, I was carrying my 8 iron 150 to 160. Inside it is reporting about 120 with a much lower ball speed. I am 9 feet from the screen and the Mevo is 8 feet behind and sitting two inches below the level of the mat. Any suggestions to get it reading the proper ball speed and carry?

HI

There is nothing wrong with your monitor and the numbers are right.

2 factors that will affect your ball speeds and distances in a big way are:

1) indoor swing syndrome - the board is full of info regarding this subject.

2) the temperature of your hitting environment will greatly affect your ball speed numbers.
    At 0 degrees celsius my driver ball speed can be as low as 126mph, at 20 degrees C its about 160mph but at 32 degrees celsius i get near 170mph.

Took me about 4 years to figure this one out, then one day i was going through some tgc2019 recorded shots and noticed the massive drop off in ball speeds dependent on the environment is was playing in.

I guess the weather is nice in FL.

Comment

I also immediately thought of the temperature. Where do you live? Is your sim in the garage? Here's a chart that shows how yardages can be affected by temperature:

If you're a fan of winter golf, play smart, and take note of how much cold weather will affect your golf ball and the distance of your shots.

Humidity and air density also factors into carry distance (not ball speed, but carry distance). So as with the temperature, there might be a big difference between the outdoor air in Florida and whatever the Mevo uses as its air density standard.

As mentioned above, indoor swing syndrome could account for a few yards.

Could your mat be accounting for a loss of a few yards as well? How did the spin numbers compare in outdoor vs. indoor? Is the mat producing some extra spin that's causing some distance loss?

If you attributed 5 yards to each of the 4 things above, that's 20 yards of difference.

I don't have a Mevo so I can't comment on the part about it being slightly below the mat.

Comment

I said it in another thread recently but I think ball speed is one of the easiest measurements these units do and they don’t need much flight time for that based on my experience. Even my SC200 for a few hundred dollars was bang on against my SkyTrak when I had it and Trackman. The hard parts for these machines in my experience is spin. Unless something was damaged during the “getting back home phase” I’d be surprised you have a hardware issue if it was working fine before.

The one thing on hardware it could be is if you have a bunch of interference in your hitting area from metal or noise but mostly I’ve heard that messes with spin and launch or creates no reads not so much ball speed issues but it’s possible.

You can set the mat height in the apps so if you’ve done that then I don’t think that’s an issue.

Put a ball on the tee and start with half swings making good contact and slowly ramp up 10 mph at a time until you max out. Hitting off a tee should help tell you if your slightly fatting it and you should feel the progression as you go faster.

My bets are on indoor swing syndrome if you don’t have tons of room, some temperature impact and quality of strike off mat.

Comment

Thanks to all who responded. My sim is indoors so temperature shouldn't have much to do with it. Quality of strike off the mat (Fiberbuilt) could be an issue. I will play around with it some more today and try to determine root cause.

Comment

If you are using local weather, it will take the outdoor weather conditions including elevation, temperature, humidity to determine your ball flight, not the conditions in your simulator. Have you compared your recorded swing speed and smash factors? If you were using FS Golf you can go to myflightscope.com and see all your data assuming FS Golf app has been connected to the internet.

Comment

I assume you are using the FS golf app. I get low numbers on the FS app. I can take that same club and same swing in the same room and the TGC simulator gives me numbers that go the other way. I am at least 10% shorter on the FS app than I am on the range and TGC is 10% longer.

Comment

i had the same problem with my mevo running on .17, 10 feet to screen, 8 feet to mevo, I just got it and have only played on it a few hours, i dont think its indoor swing syndrome, if it was you would know it. i had it like my first few hundred shots swinging indoors but then is started ripping away and was still about 10 yards short on my irons and 20-30 yards short on my driver. I moved the mevo to 71/2 feet and it seems like my irons are only about 5yards short now, i might just be getting used to it and getting more cofortable swinging indoors, but im not 100% sure either. thanks to everyone for your feedback, im pretty sure my biggest factor is the weather, its only like 45f in michigan right now and my mevo is in an unheated garage, hoping i get my yardages back when it warms up.

Comment

I made a brief comparison between Skytrak and Mevo + yesterday. It is unbelievable how similar data is given by both devices in the parameters of ball speed, backspin and VLA. Mevo + was in short indoor and metall dot mode.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Mirek_62; 04-05-2021, 07:09 AM.

Comment

Well a quick update, I did have indoor swing syndrome. For some reason at the golf studio where I take lessons, I had no issue with being indoors. It is a slightly bigger space vs what I have at home.

Comment

Originally posted by Boiler_81 View Post
                      Well a quick update, I did have indoor swing syndrome. For some reason at the golf studio where I take lessons, I had no issue with being indoors. It is a slightly bigger space vs what I have at home.
                      Thanks for the update, and the honesty. Many people underestimate how drastically indoor swing syndrome can affect your ball speeds, and how you absolutely don't feel like you're swinging slower than usual. The syndrome is 100% subconscious, and affects nearly everyone who's not a low single-digit handicapper when they first start hitting balls inside their own home.

The next most common reason for "my new launch monitor is way short on carry distance" is that golfers who aren't low single-digit often have unrealistic carry numbers in their head from playing courses, usually because they only remember their very best shots, and often don't know where the ball landed (with longer clubs on fairway). Knowing and trusting your AVERAGE carry with each club is the biggest reason your scores will drop after regular sessions on a sim.

FWIW, every time we put the Mevo+ up against SkyTrak, TrackMan 4, GCQuad, or EYEXO, in our studio and on the same shots, we get nearly identical ball speed, spin, and launch angle, and therefore nearly identical carry distance.
                      - Ron at GunghoGolf.com - we specialize in TrackMan, FlightScope, Foresight, Uneekor, SkyTrak, Garmin, Bushnell, TGC, and E6 Connect. 512-861-4151 or email hello AT gunghogolf.com.

Comment

Ron, you are 100% correct. I have had four other people hit on set up in the last week. They were all carrying the ball shorter than they expected. I know one of their games well enough to say he has indoor syndrome. The other three I don't know enough to say if they had indoor or they were underestimating their ability.

Through instruction, fitness and indoor practice my distances indoor are now up about 10 yards per club over my previous outdoor lengths. I'm very happy with my decision to put in an indoor simulator.

Comment

Hi everyone. I’m new here. Got a mevo plus back in the fall and had been using outdoors. Same possible issue here. Have it in garage now. Temp is in the 50’s. Ball speed and carry distance are way down with the driver. I could very well have indoor syndrome but what is strange is that the swing speed it measures is the same as always - between 90 and 95. And it says I’m carrying between 180 and 190. I know there are adjustments to make and all that but just wondering.

If I were to rent a half hour in a trackman somewhere, can I also use this to compare the numbers and just prove to myself it isn’t the monitor? I assume it’s possible to use two radars at the same time? Thanks.

Comment

• bubbtubbs
                            bubbtubbs commented
                            Editing a comment
                            How much lower is the ball speed versus normal? Decreased temperature loses you a fair bit of distance from increased air density, around 2y carry per 10F (lol Fahrenheit).

Could post the numbers from an outdoor session and the indoor session for comparison.

Edit: 90mph is somewhere around 215y carry so if you're making poor contact and/or spinning it a ton, it's going to rob you pretty quickly with the temperature drop.

Indoor swing issues don't necessarily mean slower SS numbers. Sometimes your brain causes you to swing flatter inside to avoid hitting walls or other obstacles and changes the launch characteristics as a result.
                            Last edited by bubbtubbs; 03-18-2022, 03:40 PM.

cmadparty Temps in the 50s means the balls being hit are "cool" too, compared to when we play in the 70s and above. Also, change the climate setting to "sea level" which means the algorithms should provide longer estimated carry distances due to higher temperature (I think it's pre-set at 77*).

If your spin numbers are italicized it means the unit is estimating the spin (and it's pretty much noted the unit tends to overestimate spin with driver). There are two ways to change that: First is to use a metal sticker on the balls (if it doesn't work try using two dots in a "snowman" shape). Second, maximize flight distance to give the unit a chance to take in more spin measurements. My driver is currently low 90s like you, and I've found 10 feet of flight or more works better for me. Any less distance and I get estimated spin reads that are higher than my usual driver numbers.

Comment

Thanks. A couple of additional things - I am using those new ProV1 balls with the RCT capture tech in them. I’ll check but I think it’s actually measuring the spin. And from what I could tell my launch and spin rates weren’t too bad but I’ll grab some numbers when it gets warm enough to go outside. I am swinging about 93 mph. In the meantime I reset the weather to sea level and hit some more balls and did have most between 200 and 210 carry so that’s a lot better than the 180 - 190 I was getting. Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
                            X