GC2 Megaflash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GC2 Megaflash

I have a batch of flashes assembled, tested, and ready to go. I have worked with Tretee on the JNPG forum on this design. He is a very skilled engineer with extensive flash design experience and test equipment. Here are the highlights of the new design.
    1.) It will definitely work with serial numbers 4200 and above
    - This is the point when Foresight started shipping their newest driver circuit board. The new driver can handle more current than the old one. The Foresight Superflash requires the newest driver board because it uses a larger bulb that needs more current to flash. The Megaflash uses less current than a Superflash but more than the old style, so to be safe I am saying 4200 and above.
    - If you have a lower serial number and are interested in testing the Megaflash send me a PM for more info.
    2.) It comes with a 1 year warranty
    - If it stops working within the first year I will send you a new circuit board that goes inside the housing for free. Foresight's Superflash has a prorated 1 year warranty
    - I expect it to last several years in a personal-use setting.
    3.) The case has been designed to be reusable
    - It is 3D printed on a $200k industrial printer for the highest quality print that I could find. It has a matte texture but no visible layers or extrusions like personal printers
    - It has a glass infrared filter instead of a plastic one
    - The back can be removed to put a new circuit board in
    4.) It has a life expectancy on par with the Superflash.
    - During longevity testing, we were able to run a bulb for over 2 million flashes which equates to 200k shots.
    - Each flash is tested for brightness on a light meter that I built to be brighter than the old design for reliable readings
    5.) A complete module costs $150.
    - If you bought one of my other designs, I will give you $10 off a new one.
    - Please add $10 for shipping to the UK and understand that it will take about 2 weeks to arrive. I can ship faster but cost will go up significantly.
    6.) Additional circuit boards for inside will be $100/piece.
    - I am going to hold off on selling extra boards until I can get everyone who is interested a complete module

To purchase a flash, please send Paypal to gc2flash@gmail.com. Include your shipping address and forum username in the notes please. I will post when the first batch is gone. I have parts to build more so I will be replenishing my stock as they sell. If you have any questions, please post them below since other people may have the same question.
    Last edited by andygg1986; 01-02-2018, 04:16 AM.

Ok Andy. You want to send me your PayPal email and I can send payment that way and I’ll send you my address?

Comment

Hey Andy, do you have any flashes built up at the moment? I'm likely in need of one, given my flash driver board didn't just die.

Is there a way to test if it's one or the other (with a meter or something)? I bought a refurb GC2 last year and was recently getting some weird readings with my superflash, so i swapped it out for the "temporary" flash to test the difference. I left it in for less than 400 shots, but it suddenly stopped working. I swapped the superflash back in and it's not working either. It has the feeling of a driver board issue, but I've been surprised by coincidences before... (i.e. both my flashes could actually be dead somehow).

Thanks in advance!

Comment

• andygg1986
        andygg1986 commented
        Editing a comment
        I do have some flashes ready to go. I will PM you some testing directions for your flash driver board.

andygg1986 Please let me know if you have any of your Mega Flashes available. I just purchased a GC2 and would like to be prepared if my flash happens to go out.

Comment

• andygg1986
        andygg1986 commented
        Editing a comment
        I’ve got some ready to go!

I’ve got GC2 used about 2 years ago and last year started getting the display showing —— on putting. Full swings were still ok. My model is an A2100 and is running 4.0.0.15 software. I’m thinking I need a new flash and was wondering if your mega flash is compatible with this setup.
      Thanks for all your contributions here.

Comment

• andygg1986
        andygg1986 commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes it should work well for you! I have them ready to go and will be making a trip to ship a couple out tomorrow, so if you can pay tonight I will get it out with those ones

Cool. Will send the PayPal in the next 30 mins.

Comment

I have serial 104XXrunning 4.0.0.15, Will the new flash work in mine?? Still have one to ship??

Comment

• andygg1986
          andygg1986 commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes and yes 👍

Would you be willing to ship one of these across the pond to the UK?

Comment

• simmb
          simmb commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for the info Andy

• simmb
          simmb commented
          Editing a comment
          And yes Wizard the rumours are true I have jumped off the Skytrak ship😀

• Wizard of Coz
          Wizard of Coz commented
          Editing a comment
          Congrats on the upgrade simmb! I C Gc2 now. Lol

If anyone happens to see someone selling megaflashes online, could you please PM me and let me know? I guess I didn’t lock my truck and someone stole several of them. I doubt they realized what they were taking but if they figure it out and try to sell them, I would like to know to try and get the other stuff they took back.

Comment

andygg1986 Sorry to hear that. I am buying a new GC2 and figure I might as well grab one of these flashes. Do you still have any left or did they get them all?

Comment

• andygg1986
            andygg1986 commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks frodaddy00. I still have more of them at home, and I will be working on building more of them this week as well to build up a supply.

• hi andy mega flash still working well i was wondering weither you know anything about the infrared filter panel as mine has a break in it not sure if i need to replace it or leave it as it is not sure where i would get a new one as my GC2 is not registered with foresight sports any info would be greatly appreciated.
          thanks
          Nick

Comment

• andygg1986
            andygg1986 commented
            Editing a comment
            Hi Nick. I assume you are talking about the filter panel that is about 1”x5” and covers the array of LEDs. If it is cracked but the LEDs are still working, I would probably leave it alone for a while and see if you get used to it. Replacing it properly is a little tricky but I have done it before. The tricky aspect is that you have to know which screws can and cannot be touched. Some of them in that area align the cameras and cannot be touched without messing up the calibration. The easy way to make it look a little better would be to just use some double sided tape and tape a second filter on the outside to cover the crack. It’s not As pretty but much safer.

• im not worried about the looks just not sure if it will affect the the gc2 works

Comment

• andygg1986
            andygg1986 commented
            Editing a comment
            Sent you a PM

• Hi Andy, great work you are doing, very much appreciated.

I just bought an used GC2 here in Germany and would like to have a spare flash and wondered if you have a flash available? Is it $160 USD including shipment to Germany?

Thanks in advance!

Comment

• andygg1986
            andygg1986 commented
            Editing a comment
            I can ship with the US post office for $160 which varies quite a bit on delivery time, but is usually in the 2 week range. Or for $180 I can ship with UPS or Fedex which is usually 3-5 business days.

• GermanSimulatorDude
            GermanSimulatorDude commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks for the fast response, there's no hurry in shipment. I will wire you the money via Paypal and my address.

• Maxomoto
            Maxomoto commented
            Editing a comment
            Also have a Megaflash (I am in Germany) - no problem!

• Hi Andy

I have a GC2 serial no 8xxx would your megaflash be compatible and what is the current cost to the uk.

Many thanks

Comment

• andygg1986
            andygg1986 commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes, it will work for you. I can ship with the US post office for $160 which varies quite a bit on delivery time, but is usually in the 2 week range. Or for $180 I can ship with UPS or Fedex which is usually 3-5 business days. I'm waiting on another batch of enclosures but will resume shipments at the end of next week (around Jan 17)

• Hey andygg1986 I just purchased a used GC2 A1***. Are there tests to mention to see if my current flash drive board will support the Megaflash or Superflash? Just recently finished my garage hitting bay, and the GC2 is my first LM. Cheers!

Comment

• andygg1986
            andygg1986 commented
            Editing a comment
            When you turn it on, see if it says hardware rev 3 in the bottom corner of the startup screen. If it does then you are good to go. If not, I can get you upgraded.

• Huge shoutout to andygg1986 , my flash power driver board went out and he got me up and running with a replacement board within 2 days. Thanks a million!

FYI, the screw that holds the cover over the flash power board is a 1/16 hex. I had an issue where i was using a cheap handheld toolset and the one marked 1/16 was too small and couldn't figure out what size it was. I changed to a different set of tools that had a 1/16 and it fit perfectly.

Comment

Working...
          X