Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Touchscreen vs large monitor/TV screen

Hi All!

Approaching build stage. Uneekor QED and projector purchased so now need to make a decision on computer and screens!

im thinking either a 27inch HANNSpree touchscreen or a large normal monitor or a 42inch TV with a keyboard and mouse...?

With QED I’m assuming I will have TGC running on projector and ball data on the other screen....I suppose I’m asking how much nicer is it to use a touchscreen over a keyboard and mouse?
    A small touch display vs a huge display (relatively speaking)?

Views and experiences would be appreciated!

The bigger the better I think... I have a 40 inch as a second monitor and I put ignite on there while I play TGC and just use mouse and keyboard to move around..if you have a tall stand next to you it's easy enough

plus if you have people over you can use the bigger monitor to put on sports or something while you also play golf

Comment

Not sure that those who use a touchscreen would ever choose not to.

I have a touchscreen and don't even know the keystroke shortcuts for TGC. You still have the keyboard but that's for text when doing searches.

Touchscreen is the way to go.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback guys. Finding it tough to make a decision without understanding how much time you spend on the actual pc while practicing and playing. Will hopefully have cameras to analyse my swing etc. Some great videos online (I know gene has done some great work) so will spend a bit more time research. Can’t wait to get my build finished!

Comment

I am going to go with the bigger screen option and use a keyboard and mouse.
          I'd rather not shell out for a large touchscreen and frankly, most of the time taken will be walking back and forward to the PC whether you touch the screen or use the keyboard.

Comment

If it helps, I have a projector for TGC 2019, a 4K tv for ignite, and a touch screen for OBS and swing catalyst. I find myself forgetting that it’s a touch screen, and just use the mouse anyway. The majority of time during actual gameplay and practice is spent aiming on TGC, which uses the arrow keys on keyboard, or moving through the game itself, which uses mouse. I experimented with duplicating the TGC projector screen with my touch screen to see if it was easier than the keyboard/mouse combo, and I still used the arrow keys and mouse more often. If I didn’t already own a touch screen, I probably wouldn’t have bothered. You can see in the pic below - the small display is touch screen, but I rarely use it that way.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Wonko; 03-03-2020, 03:08 PM.

Comment

My 2 cents....I would not spend much on a monitor. As far as day to day usage, you will not use the monitor much at all. In fact, I would explore spending your money on either a remote keyboard or an ipad(to use air keyboard)....You will quickly find out that going back and forth to your PC/Monitor is a pain in the butt. You will prefer staying on your hitting mat. Most guys do not like touch screens for this reason. Guys use remote keyboards, some use voice command, and some use foot pedals.....anything you can do instead of walking back and forth to your pc/monitor.......see what I mean.......that's me 2 cents......

Comment

And very few use a dedicated touchscreen menu designed for TGC... sigh!

I tried to introduce this a few years back, not many takers. Keyboards, footpedals, not the best solutions. Go to any commercial golf sim facility and they will all be using touchscreens.

Comment

• Wonko
                  Wonko commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Aja - are you saying it’s possible to have a dedicated touch screen menu for TGC? I’m not following. I’d love to use my touch screen more (since I already have it), but it’s just not as efficient for aiming and the majority of typical keystrokes in TGC today. Am I missing something?

• aja
                  aja commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Hi! I've been using a dedicated touchscreen menu for a few years.

I tried to get people interested but really didn't get any traction.

Have a look at this old post: https://golfsimulatorforum.com/forum...r-touchscreens

It's dependent on the screen resolution that you are using and the version I have is set up for my resolution, but it works.

• borntofly1982
                  borntofly1982 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  AJA... I am in the beginning phases of my build... but I think I am going to want to use the touchscreen options. What is the cost for your programming? Can you take a video or something to see it in action and how steamline it is? Thanks!
              Working...
              X