This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• POLL: Rewinds on Tour

We implemented a new feature in TGC2019 to completely disable rewinds during tournaments.
    Rewinds are sometimes needed to rehit a legit bad reading caused by simulator hardware glitches.

Let us know if you want to play with or without.
    YES PLEASE, I would like to play tournaments with rewinds disabled.
    73.58%
    NO WAY, My hardware will sometimes require me to take a rewind on a bad reading.
    14.15%
    I DUNNO, I really don't care much.
    12.26%

I'd look into possibly a similar VOTE for boosting. I know there's a group of folks that like to rib on the Boosting of TGC and even though its crazy low at 5%......may as well just do away with it altogether in my opinion. Something to think about.

Comment

I would disable the rewinds. It takes away the temptation and these tournaments are for fun. Sometimes you just have to play it as it lies.

Looking forward to 2019.

Comment

• triplebogeysrbetter
        triplebogeysrbetter commented
        Editing a comment
        Agree. Ban the rewind all together in tournament play.

There are legitimate hardware errors. But given this is not for anything but fun, making everyone just deal with it and turning off rewinds seems to outweigh the temptation / possibility for people to cheat - not to mention the administrative burden it puts on people like mthunt who has to review shots and deal with any associated drama.

Comment

• cooke23
        cooke23 commented
        Editing a comment
        Even legitimate hardware errors......heck IRL there’s the occasional hardware error in your buddy’s head and he randomly screams during your backswing and you top that drive. Stuff happens.....the thing I mainly ever had issues with was when my internet sucked and the damn golfball would fall through the course texture and I’d hafta restart game

Yea, my vote is for no rewinds. Feel like I'm more spoiled nowadays with the gc2 having very little misreads, but even when I had the skytrak it didn't really happen much at all. While I would take the rewinds if it is was something crazy obvious, it wouldn't have bothered me too much if I wasn't able to.

Comment

I voted no rewinds. I think the mindset with an odd reading if rewinds didn’t exist would just be different. And if I needed one, I’d just shrug it off and move on.

mthunt will love all his new free time.

Comment

So if you don’t have rewinds then no shot recording also. Sounds good

Comment

• sherrow70
            sherrow70 commented
            Editing a comment
            I just thought if no rewinds why would you have to review shots. To be honest I have TGC but have been waiting for TGC 2019 to come out before I started playing tour so I probably don’t even know what I’m talked about lol

• Godfather
            Godfather commented
            Editing a comment
            I think it’s cool to be able to look back at the data every once in a while.

• NetcheK
            NetcheK commented
            Editing a comment
            Like Godfather, I like the fact data are available for a review.

No rewinds and no boost would be a great start to making a better tour. 👍

Comment

No rewinds. For most, hardware errors are few and far between.

Comment

I have only played a few tournaments. I would prefer no rewinds.

Comment

Will I still be able to turn auto-putt on for 4 or 5 hole stretches?

Comment

I have a two camera system from GSA. In the beginning (2015) the player would have to be extremely careful not to walk through the FOV and remove any balls laying in the FOV quickly. Since then GSA has made some great changes to the software to virtually eliminate misreads. Now you can walk through the FOV without the fear of a 190 yard chip shot. I would be just fine if rewinds were removed. GSA has also added calibration to ensure ball speed accuracy. Once calibrated, scale is not adjustable. In the past you would set your scale based on how far you think you hit your most trusted club. ProTee could ask GSA to add some markers when connecting to the game...… Calibrated = YES. Boost = 5%. I would be fine with no boost as well. This type of boost confirmation could be done across the board for all sims.

As for the sims who may need the rewind the 190 yard chip from 12 yards away...… Perhaps ProTee could add some AI to the game. Say for instance you are 25 yards from the pin. You could simply not launch any shot less than 2 or 3 degrees LA and any shot faster than 50 mph. On the drive....maybe any ball speed less than 40 mph or LA greater than 40 degrees could be considered a "no launch" That way if a player walks by with his club in the FOV, it won't trigger the ball launch. Some players with cameras in tight spaces may still need to have to rewind. Mthunt can tell you that honest rewinds are quite obvious. Usually you will see a drive that is 25 degrees to the left at 1 degree LA.... Quite obvious.

Comment

• mikeingp
                    mikeingp commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Those are great points. I voted no to rewinds but having only owned a skytrak and gc2, I didn't consider the possible limitations (or nuances) of other systems.

• keither5150
                    keither5150 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    If a GSA user has lots of room for the setup.... it isn't hard to eliminate misreads. I know a guy who has a tight setup. At times the club head is picked up by the cameras on slow shots. This would be a legitimate rewind. GSA has tried to implement things into their control panel to limit these misreads. Last year, you couldn't walk through the FOV....now you can. Last year you would have had to pause the game to retrieve balls. ( I do it like Chevy chase in caddyshack…..nanananana ) Now it won't launch a ball without club data....if you choose. So I am free to putt the balls back to the hitting mat. I have my sim set up pretty good. Very few misreads. I don't think that I have had one during my last 5 rounds. All those extra shots are in the drink. For GSA users using IBS.... it is a good idea to reset it before each session. If I get a misread during a tour round.... I am ok to suck it up and move on. But sometimes it could be a 40mph putt. I personally think it's a great idea to eliminate rewinds for tour events. It would motivate players to search for the cause of these misreads and find solutions. Even if it means bugging the software manufacturer to add something to the software. Players can also use this forum for this kind of help. I also voted no to rewinds.

• GripItAndRipIt
                    GripItAndRipIt commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I am the guy that is mentioned with the limited space set up. I still voted no rewinds. I will have a 70 yard sand wedge carry 220 yards because my clubhead enters the view of the cameras, but it’s for fun and sure seems like a less lot work for the admins.
                    That being said, it just means I need to fine tune my system so hopefully one day I can eliminate my odd shots. The one shot that happens 1/1000 that goes an extra 50 yards for no reason I never rewinded those anyway.

Maybe...
                  give people a choice to play 2 diffrent tours.
                  one with no rewind and no boost, one with some option to rewind and boost.
                  people can choose, which tour they want to play..

Comment

• cooke23
                    cooke23 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    This would be ideal but I’d think it would essentially double their workload to maintain both Tours. But yeah, if possible this would solve all issues and accommodate everyone.

• gnomike
                    gnomike commented
                    Editing a comment
                    might be ideal in theory, but in addition to cooke23 's point, it almost seems to me that the 'rewind' tour would become the 'hit it until you like it' tour lol Fifty four here I come!

I also voted for no rewinds. Would make things simpler and less likely to be abused/misused.

Comment

Allow rewinds but put some sort of color/symbol marker on the score card indicating that a rewind was taken. That way the cheaters will out themselves, and the members with lower quality launch monitors will not be disadvantaged.

Comment

• Godfather
                      Godfather commented
                      Editing a comment
                      That’s a good idea if rewinds are kept. I would feel badly for some of the people with hardware that has more common issues like some of the older multi-sensor systems. GC2 and SkyTrak could deal with no rewinds.
                  Working...
                  X