X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TGC Tour Handicap Calculation

How is your TGC Tour Handicap Index Calculated

Your TGC Tour Handicap is calculated based on the official USGA Handicap Formula.

Step 1: Calculate the Differentials
    Using your adjusted gross scores, the course ratings and slope ratings, Step 1 is calculating the handicap differential for each round entered using this formula:

(Score - Course Rating) x 113 / Slope Rating

The sum of that calculation is called your "handicap differential." This differential is calculated for each round entered (minimum of five, maximum of 20).

Note: The number 113 is a constant and represents the slope rating of a golf course of average difficulty.

Step 2: Determine How Many Differentials To Use
    Not every differential that results from Step 1 will be used in the next step. If only five rounds are entered, only the lowest of your five differentials will be used in the following step. If 20 rounds are entered, only the 10 lowest differentials are used. Use this chart to determine how many differentials to use in your handicap calculation.

Number of Differentials Used

The number of rounds you are reporting for handicap purposes determines the number of differentials used in the USGA handicap calculation, as follows:
    Rounds Entered Differentials Used
    5-6 rounds Use 1 lowest differential
    7-8 rounds Use 2 lowest differential
    9-10 rounds Use 3 lowest differential
    11-12 rounds Use 4 lowest differential
    13-14 rounds Use 5 lowest differential
    15-16 rounds Use 6 lowest differential
    17 rounds Use 7 lowest differential
    18 rounds Use 8 lowest differential
    19 rounds Use 9 lowest differential
    20 rounds Use 10 lowest differential

Step 3: Average Your Differentials
    Get an average of the differentials used by adding them together and dividing by the number used (i.e., if five differentials are used, add them up and divide by five).

Step 4: Calculating Your Handicap Index
    And the final step is to take the number that results from Step 3 and multiply the result by 0.96 (96-percent). The result is TGC Tour Handicap Index.

Handicap Committee
    The handicap committee currently consists of mthunt, keither5150 and bubba22. They are also the tournament committee. The committee picks and rates the courses. Slope rating 113 will be used when a course has not been rated. The committee will monitor scores, handicaps and game play.

Originally posted by FaultyClubs View Post

I'm not disagreeing since you have good points, but real life scoring is strongly affected by the short game and putting, both I find significantly harder on a SIM. Especially when switching regularly between SIM and real golf. I don't know the answer but to me it isn't a given that SIM handicaps *should* be 2-4 shots better than IRL. If they were the same it wouldn't be obviously wrong IMO.
    I'm just curious but what platform do you use? I think it's ProTee sensors isn't it?
    My Courses:
    World Par 3's by mthunt
    Toronto GC (L) mthunt
    Burlington G&CC by mthunt
    Weston G&CC by mthunt
    London Hunt Club L mthunt
    Park CC Lidar mthunt
    Sunningdale GC Robinson L
    Sunningdale GC Thompson L
    Muirfield Village (liDAR) First Ever Lidar course
    Country Club of Castle Pines (liDAR)
    The Sanctuary GC ProTee L
    The National GC L mthunt
    Mississaugua GC L mthunt
    Shaughnessy G&CC L mthunt
    Markland Woods CC mthunt
    Hidden Lake Old L mthunt
    Magna GC L mthunt
    Barrie CC L mthunt
    mthunt Range

Comment

i haven't played IRL in 4 years. When I played regularly, I was a 12, down to 10.5 at one point, but it was all on a very flat muni and I believe I played to more like a 15.

Along these lines, I would love to have a couple of feature in future releases.

- Option to turn off the built-in penalty system. I have FW, first cut & rough surfaces that I can hit from in my simulator, but that would be double-jeopardy with the built-in penalties already in place. This is for non-tour play of course.

- Option to declare an HC round, with the round being tracked on the player profile page. The second part of this one could be moot if the next release supports multiple tee boxes and the HC system & course ratings get somehow fixed to something more realistic. If so, the TGC HC's might become useful. But, I would still like to declare HC rounds vs. practice rounds. I get the feeling it would work better if the rounds where tracked here under the tour HC system though.

Comment

Some interesting numbers to consider when we get to course ratings.

Par, Yards, top 10%, Median, Mean, bottom 10%

NGLA 72, 6,514, 70.6, 81.0, 82.5, 102.5
        Oceanic Athletic Club 72, 6,777, 70.8, 83.0, 84.7, 105.2
        Last edited by Cklguy2013; 10-25-2016, 07:02 PM.

Comment

Hi, in the 2 round tournaments if someone had a handicap of 2.4, shouldn't the playing handicap be calculated for each single round instead of over the two rounds? I.e you should have a playing HC of 2 for each round totalling 4 shots for the 2 rounds, looking at the tournament results it looks like you get 2.4 x 2 = 4.8 = playing handicap of 5 over the 2 rounds?

Comment

• andygg1986
            andygg1986 commented
            Editing a comment
            You are correct in how your handicap is multiplied by 2 and then applied to the combined score for both rounds. Personally I like that, although I'm not sure if there is a USGA rule for applying handicaps to tournament rounds. If you were to do it the other way, you would see 2 shot swings from fractional handicap improvements. For example, going from 2.6 to 2.4 would cost you 2 shots in the tournament. The way it is now, a fractional improvement in your handicap can only affect your tournament score by 1 shot. It is already pretty tight at the top of most leaderboards so changing would definitely move people up or down.

I just finished q school and wondering when/how I find out what my tour HC is and who posts it etc. I can see my TGC handicap is 24 (which makes no sense to me since most of my rounds are in the 70's). I am guessing the handicap committee determines our Tour HC? Looking forward to joining the tour!

Comment

Tour handicaps will update every Tuesday around 11am CET+1. See your tour profile on http://golfsimulatortours.com

Comment

ProTee United can you please check why I do not have a handicap l.. shot recording is on.. userid is copy and pasted in and I played 5 rounds of q school.. tk u

Comment

Originally posted by WISCOGOLFNUT View Post
                ProTee United can you please check why I do not have a handicap l.. shot recording is on.. userid is copy and pasted in and I played 5 rounds of q school.. tk u
                Handicaps update on Tuesdays I believe.
                My Courses:
                World Par 3's by mthunt
                Toronto GC (L) mthunt
                Burlington G&CC by mthunt
                Weston G&CC by mthunt
                London Hunt Club L mthunt
                Park CC Lidar mthunt
                Sunningdale GC Robinson L
                Sunningdale GC Thompson L
                Muirfield Village (liDAR) First Ever Lidar course
                Country Club of Castle Pines (liDAR)
                The Sanctuary GC ProTee L
                The National GC L mthunt
                Mississaugua GC L mthunt
                Shaughnessy G&CC L mthunt
                Markland Woods CC mthunt
                Hidden Lake Old L mthunt
                Magna GC L mthunt
                Barrie CC L mthunt
                mthunt Range

Comment

mthunt Ahhh, gotcha..want sure how the first one worked if it was instant or only weekly.. tk u!

Comment

My lowest score after 6 rounds was an 83. My tour hcp is 6.7. That's one heck of a slope.
                    Lidar Courses:
                    Belmont CC Lidar
                    Virginia National Lidar
                    Creighton Farms Lidar
                    Westpark Va Lidar

Fictional Simulator Courses:
                    Ile aux cinq phares
                    Conifer Woods v2
                    Rodgers Woods v2
                    Greenwood Golf Course Sim
                    Desert Valley Golf Sim
                    Nine Lakes

plus others.

Comment

Edit: nevermind, just noticed a 79 in there.
                      Lidar Courses:
                      Belmont CC Lidar
                      Virginia National Lidar
                      Creighton Farms Lidar
                      Westpark Va Lidar

Ile aux cinq phares
                      Conifer Woods v2
                      Rodgers Woods v2
                      Desert Valley Golf Sim
                      Nine Lakes

plus others.

Comment

I'm assuming only rounds from completed tournaments in q school and pro tee society are taken into consideration for handicap purposes (ie not finishing the tournament or playing Noonan or one of the others doesn't count)
                        Lidar Courses:
                        Belmont CC Lidar
                        Virginia National Lidar
                        Creighton Farms Lidar
                        Westpark Va Lidar

Ile aux cinq phares
                        Conifer Woods v2
                        Rodgers Woods v2
                        Desert Valley Golf Sim
                        Nine Lakes