Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SkyTrak v3.1 Public Beta

Hi all,

As mentioned, I’d like to give you guys the opportunity to take v3.1 for a test drive before we officially release it. As with every other time I’ve done this, please keep comments, questions, and feedback within this thread and DO NOT CONTACT CUSTOMER SUPPORT for anything involving this public beta - I’ll handle everything in this thread. While there are still a few bug/cleanup items to take care of, I’d like to keep this beta period under 1 week.

Here are the v3.1 Release Notes:

- Added Shot Optimizer
    - Added SkyTrak Calculated Club Data (Angle of Attack, Dynamic Loft, Swing Path, Face to Path)
    - SkyPro Integration (replaces Club Head Speed, Angle of Attack, Dynamic Loft, and PTI)
    - Club Insights Integration (replaces Club Head Speed, Angle of Attack, Swing Path, Face to Path, and PTI)
    - Improved Club Head Speed Calculations for all clubs
    - Added Fairway Practice
    - Changed Ground Conditions to “Rough” if a Green is Present
    - Fixed Practice Green Hit/Miss bug
    - Fixed Metric/Meters bugs
    - Additional Report/Export Features
    - Miscellaneous Bug Fixes and Improvements

Here are some additional notes:

1. Club Data Screen – I initially wanted the club data screen to be a popup, but in testing it proved to be more of an annoyance than a benefit, particularly because I often wanted to see it or the ball flight whenever the other was showing. So, it made more sense in practice to make it a dedicated screen.

a. SkyTrak Club Data – This is calculated club data based off measured ball data. In testing, it proves very accurate on center-struck shots. At this point, we are still working on improving the data for poorly-struck shots.

b. Club Insights – This method uses a library of hundreds of thousands of shots hit on various launch monitors that measure club data. It simply matches up our ball data to a shot with the closest comparable ball data and applies the corresponding club data. On release, this will be an add-on package, but they have generously allowed us to include the option in this public beta. Club Insights beta functionality will cease March 11th. If this option is selected, then applicable values turn BLUE in the app.

c. SkyPro – You can use your SkyPro to supplement some of the calculated club data assuming you have the latest SkyPro app from the app store. Here, you will need 2 devices (Connect the SkyPro to device A, connect the SkyTrak to device B. Device A and B talk to each other over BLE). Device B can be iOS or PC (Windows 8.1 or Windows 10). If this option is selected, then applicable values turn ORANGE in the app. *I understand this is going to be a complicated process for some…and will work on better instructions for release. Not so worried about this portion during this beta period.

d. R-Motion – Still in development

e. Since many of you may not wish to integrate with another device nor care to use calculated data, I added a simple Side and Top Profile view with Max Height and Flight Time that you can toggle to instead. This allows you to still take advantage of the Shot Optimizer. (green = in optimal range, yellow = close to optimal range, red = outside optimal range).

2. Fairway Practice – We think this is a cool new feature that will help you practice your shots shaping. You access it just like practice greens (and there will be more practice areas to come in the future).

3. To mimic fairway practice, I changed the rest of the field to “rough” conditions when using Practice Greens and Closest to Pin Challenge (Target Challenge uses all fairway ground still). Is this desirable? I can see the 'yes' argument to focus on carry, but can also see the flip-side for those who might like to run it up.

4. If you get a prompt to upgrade the app when using this beta - IGNORE IT.

This beta is only for PC (iOS is too hard to distribute outside of the app store)

http://downloads.skygolf.com/Softwar...ytrakSetup.exe

Thanks,
    Seth
    Last edited by SkyTrak_Seth; 03-06-2018, 11:18 PM. Reason: Sorry, having formatting trouble with post

Originally posted by Shardak View Post
    It seems that Angle of Attack is really far off for me..its way too far down (12 degrees down with a 8 iron).

I think one thing that would make these calculations more accurate would be if a user can enter lofts for each club. The software must be assuming a certain loft for each iron, but if that assumption is wrong, then the calculations are going to be wrong (especially angle of attack I would guess).

If I am hitting with a 34 degree 7 iron, vs a new Taylor Made M4 7i that is 28.5 degrees, and I am launching both at 19 degrees, then I must be delivering less dynamic loft (and/or more downward angle of attack) with the 34 degree 7i. But the current software would have to make a guess as to the actual loft of the club in order to work that out...

How about it Seth?? Can you add a bag-setup screen so we can enter our actual lofts?
    Totally agree with this

Comment

Did anyone else have problems with non-reads and crashes after switching clubs in practice mode?

I would switch clubs. Get a few non-reads..back out of practice and come back in and then the program would either function as normal or crash completely

Comment

Originally posted by SkyTrak_Seth View Post

c. SkyPro – You can use your SkyPro to supplement some of the calculated club data assuming you have the latest SkyPro app from the app store. Here, you will need 2 devices (Connect the SkyPro to device A, connect the SkyTrak to device B. Device A and B talk to each other over BLE). Device B can be iOS or PC (Windows 8.1 or Windows 10). If this option is selected, then applicable values turn ORANGE in the app. *I understand this is going to be a complicated process for some…and will work on better instructions for release. Not so worried about this portion during this beta period.

SkyTrak_Seth Any chance to include the option to allow comms between the SkyPro & SkyTrak via LAN/WiFi instead of BLE?

Comment

• SkyTrak_Seth
          SkyTrak_Seth commented
          Editing a comment
          No, because SkyPro only transmits via Bluetooth .

When on the Skytrack club data setting, how accurate is the path data, and where is it getting this data from?

I was getting some 10+ degree inside/out readings. I didn't think I typically swing anywhere near this far inside/out from what I see on a Trackman/Flightscope.

Comment

• Morini
          Morini commented
          Editing a comment
          It derives club data from ball data. If the ball is struck centerface, path and face angle can be quite accurately determined by looking at horizontal launch angle and spin axis. The gear effect on off center strikes will mess up these calculations.

Hi Seth. I had an immediate crash when attempting practice mode with fairways. Skytrak running via USB. Logs attached.
        Attached Files

Comment

Thanks everyone for the SUPER feedback! We've come to the consensus internally that we simply need more time to test the SkyTrak calculated club data. I just can't hold up this release any further because there are more features in the pipeline, so we are going to release v3.1 without the club data. It will still have fairway practice, the shot optimizer, and SkyPro integration. I am testing a new build now that I hope to post up on Monday.

That said, I'd like to continue to get your feedback on the club data as we continue testing and tweaking. So I plan to still make available a version for you guys to have access to club data, even though it won't be an official release. So I will periodically post new beta builds for anyone who wishes to use/test.

Thanks again for your help and understanding!

Comment

• triplebogeysrbetter
            triplebogeysrbetter commented
            Editing a comment
            Please count me in for any future testing.

• SkyTrak_Seth
            SkyTrak_Seth commented
            Editing a comment
            It'll be public to the forum.

• trumb1mj
            trumb1mj commented
            Editing a comment
            When does 3.1 reach stores?

Can someone help me understand something? I thought (Dynamic Loft) = (Launch Angle) - (Angle of Attack). See link below. So my beta export results do not show this. What am I missing?

I want you to remember way back to when launch monitors first became commercially available and what they actually measured. My first monitor showed me club speed, ball speed, launch angle, spin rate, carry distance and smash factor. That was it. Such data is pretty basic by today’s standards, and as time has progressed and we’ve […]
          I want you to remember way back to when launch monitors first became commercially available and what they actually measured. My first monitor showed me club speed, ball speed, launch angle, spin rate, carry distance and smash factor. That was it. Such data is pretty basic by today’s standards, and as time has progressed and we’ve […]

Comment

• triplebogeysrbetter
            triplebogeysrbetter commented
            Editing a comment
            I always considered it be (Club Loft) - (Angle of Attack) = (Dynamic Loft)

Originally posted by Geoffre14 View Post
          Can someone help me understand something? I thought (Dynamic Loft) = (Launch Angle) - (Angle of Attack). See link below. So my beta export results do not show this. What am I missing?
          I didn't look at the link and don't follow Skytrak's attempts to derive club data so can't help on any specifics, but since I'm sitting here waiting for my wife to finish grocery shopping I'll throw out some general comments to consider.

You're right, Launch Angle is a combination of Dynamic Loft and Angle of Attack. But the relative influence of each varies based on several factors (club type, ball type, friction etc) so their individual weighting has to be accounted for on each shot. DL is always more influential than AoA by between 2 to 5 times so the weighting ratio can't be ignored.

If you are combining them correctly then maybe the individual values are wrong. LA is measured by Skytrak but specs aren't great and reality can be harsh so who knows what the true LA is for any given shot. Dynamic Loft depends on shaft lean, shaft bend, static loft, AoA, face orientation, face roll and bulge, mis-hits etc. none of which is measured by Skytrak. DL varies during the impact time too so there's that to consider also. Same type of comment for AoA which isn't measured by the Skytrak either. Has Skytrak integrated Skypro yet? If so that might help DL and AoA but regardless the results you are seeing might be within reasonable expectations.

You could try consistency checking the data for clues to where things are going wrong. Maybe calculate the spin loft and see if it correlates with spin rate. It should. However since spin rate depends strongly on club head speed and things like club and ball type, friction, mis-hits etc none of which is measured by Skytrak you'll never know if the numbers are actually correct but it may help identify issues from a relative perspective. Of check the LA is within the D-plane wedge, if it's outside that range then you have bad data. Etc, etc.

Comment

SkyTrak_Seth When you say that 3.1 will have the SkyPro integration does that mean that it will have club data based on SkyPro input?

Comment

• SkyTrak_Seth
              SkyTrak_Seth commented
              Editing a comment
              It will pull club head speed from SkyPro for this initial pass.

I know the release is out but as a lefty this bug will be important so I figured I would mention it. I am 99% sure that the calculations for path and face delivery are based off a right handlers ball flight reguardless of the handed setting in the SkyTrak options.
            I am left handed and a skilled player and worked on hitting push, straight and pull draws and always got out to in paths with open faces. Likewise my fade shots would be in to out paths with closed faces. My natural shot is a fairly close to neutral swing path.
            After I noticed this I thought maybe it was just my strike location letting me down so I managed to get some readings of 6degree plus out to in and even an 11 degree and The resulting ball flights were huge sweeping draws. Clearly something is backwards.

Comment

• Lombo
              Lombo commented
              Editing a comment
              This is concerning to me as a lefty golfer as well that is looking to get the Skytrak very shortly. Am I to understand that the Skytrak with this latest revision update reads the shots for a lefty player backwards ( a fade shows as a draw, ect)? What about with the sim software - does it happen then as well. I assume this is going to be fixed, but it's very concerning.

• golfinaddicts
              golfinaddicts commented
              Editing a comment
              The skytrak itself is not showing ball flights or club data wrong you are misinterpreting my big report. The skytrak works fine if you hit a left to right draw shape shot as a lefty it is represented that way in ball flight on the range software and even in the spin axis and spin numbers and launch direction. Where the issue comes into play is with the new addition of calculated club face numbers. The calculated numbers are correct it is simply the statements of open vs close on club face and into our vs out to in that are backwards on the ui for lefty’s. That’s all, it’s just a graphical bug not an actual reading issue

SkyTrak_Seth is it possible to get the club data beta version with the updates from the 3.3 release as download?

Comment

• SkyTrak_Seth
              SkyTrak_Seth commented
              Editing a comment
              I may make another beta version with the updates, but it will probably be a few weeks.

• G4zzel
              G4zzel commented
              Editing a comment
              Great Looking forward to it

• Phish828
              Phish828 commented
              Editing a comment
              Was there an update to the beta with club data that included wedge matrix recently released that anyone knows of?

Any updates on getting the R-motion integrated with the Skytrak range?

Comment

Originally posted by G4zzel View Post
              SkyTrak_Seth is it possible to get the club data beta version with the updates from the 3.3 release as download?
              any updates on a new beta with the club data?

Comment

I need to get v3.4 out the door first. But we have been making improvements to the algorithms for club data, so I'm happy to post up another beta once we get through this bottleneck and I can find a good time to slot it in.

Comment

Originally posted by SkyTrak_Seth View Post
                  I need to get v3.4 out the door first. But we have been making improvements to the algorithms for club data, so I'm happy to post up another beta once we get through this bottleneck and I can find a good time to slot it in.
                  any updates on this?

Thanks!

Comment

• Celeras
                    Celeras commented
                    Editing a comment
                    No reason to necro a thread from March 2018 when there is a much more recent one on the front page.. https://golfsimulatorforum.com/forum...10122-i-m-back

• cmckelvmi
                    cmckelvmi commented
                    Editing a comment
                    C'mon, man! Got my hopes up for nothing...

• Jaeme Adams
                    Jaeme Adams commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Celeras I was not asking for an overall update to the core software, I was asking if there was an update on the beta with club data which was from June 2019. Thanks for policing my post as I patiently wait.
                Working...
                X