Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Skytrak alignment and misreads - BIG problem!! need help as close to giving up on it.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skytrak alignment and misreads - BIG problem!! need help as close to giving up on it.

I've owed my skytrak for a few months and until this weekend only used it outdoors. I was getting a lot of shots not registering and most shots going 40-50 yards left. The only way I could get more sensible/expected results was to close my unit to the target by around 30 degrees. I contacted skytrak and arranged for the unit to be tested. It was tested indoors and I was told that there is no problem with the unit and it working perfectly. I was pleased with this and put my bad experience with it down to the fact I used it outdoors. Over the last 2 weeks,I have had a major structural change to my property, had an upstairs wall removed and ceiling raised so I now have plenty of space. I have a projector fixed to the ceiling, connected to a laptop and a big white hitting screen with surround. The setup is perfect but I'm so disappointed with my skytrak unit. I've spent hours on forums reading about ball placement etc and I've tried it all but in my new indoor setup, I'm still getting loads of misreads and those big ridiculous left shots. I've only tested it with 3 clubs so far, 52 degree, 6 iron and driver. 52 degree gives a lot of readings and realistic results with the unit setup properly, but the 6 iron, lots of misreads and all going way left, to fix this, I had to close the unit by around 30 degrees. Driver was picking up most shots way left unless I close unit to target. I have tested with light on and off with similar results. I'm close to giving up on this unit but still hoping I can get some more suggestions/help. I'm going to buy a proper heavy mat that doesn't move and maybe I need to do something with the lighting but I'd imagine that might help with the number of misreads but won't solve the problem with the unrealistic 50 yard left shot. I'm desperate for help as I'm close to accepting that the unit just isn't as good as the advert suggests.

Originally posted by David Williams 'Chips' View Post

Another frustrating session in which I experimented a bit but didn't really learn anything new. See pics attached:
    That looks crazy off to me, especially a 65 yard shot with high 1500's of hook spin...I was purposely trying to replicate that and the highest I could get was 900's and I hooding the face and flipping it a impact. Try a harder less spinning ball vs a pro V and see what the results are...strange.

Comment

I have been having the same issue with a large hook with high left spin numbers over the last couple of weeks. Had a friend over last night who is a much better golfer and that issue never presented for him. I think one of the earlier comments about hitting it fat is my issue. Another thing that seems to help for me is to make sure my hitting mat does not move on impact. SkyTrak works great as far as I can tell. Thank you to everyone here for all of the good advice/info

Comment

Also, I recently started having a big left rotation problem. It was a mistake in swing and grip. I started to swing too far from inside and soon inside. At the same time, I unconsciously changed my grip to a very strong grip.
        At first I had to fix the swing path with the help of the aiming sticks. The goal was to limit too much inside position of club on top and delay the back swing to inside in finish. I have reduced the left spin to less than half of the high left spin values.
        Next, I focused on my strong grip that I changed to a more neutral grip. After a few sessions I now play a steady light draw. I have the same eccentric position of the swing path (closer to the right wall), there may be the influence of psyche, when you subconsciously swing from the wall and sooner you close or rotate the head of the club.

Comment

I 2nd that bs531 , the guys who have helped on here have been fantastic fair play, I was ready to sell the unit and put it down to a bad experience but I believe I can get a lot of enjoyment out of it as I'd originally hoped. Morini and Gresh12, big thanks to you especially for your time and helpful advice. I played 18 earlier on my local course and I was shocked to see that hitting on a sim as much as I have recently has changed my swing. Today, I was actually hitting hooks just like on the sim (not quite as bad but close) so I've taken my sim swing to the course. Mixed feelings on it, pleased that the sim numbers were not as ridiculous as I thought but not so good that I've started bending the ball off to the left so much. maine skytrak , I agree, the unit shouldn't have to be closed this much to get it starting on a straight (ish) line and the left spin numbers do appear excessive. There does seem to be a problem with my unit from that perspective. But like I said in my very first post, I sent it away to be looked at and apparently there's nothing wrong with it but I think I've seen enough to suggest otherwise. What do you reccomend SkyTrak_Seth ? Also, does anyone know how I can adjust the settings in the range so that I can start the ball out right and see it bend back into my target as opposed to constantly missing it left? I can't really aim right because my setup is already very right biased. I know this can be done on a GC2 unit but not sure it's doable on the ST? I know that I can change the offset to the right but the ball will start on the centre line and not start 30 yards right for example. Cheers Dave

Comment

• Gresh12
            Gresh12 commented
            Editing a comment
            You can’t “aim right” in the Skytrak range software like you can in TGC. I’ve asked for this in the past as my setup also has the issue I can’t aim right physically and I naturally play a draw which means I struggle a bit with skills assessment etc as I miss left more than I would on course (the plus is it’s got me focusing on hitting a smaller draw and making it a bit of a push draw to hit the centre).

I 2nd that bs531 , the guys who have helped on here have been fantastic fair play, I was ready to sell the unit and put it down to a bad experience but I believe I can get a lot of enjoyment out of it as I'd originally hoped. Morini and Gresh12, big thanks to you especially for your time and helpful advice. I played 18 earlier on my local course and I was shocked to see that hitting on a sim as much as I have recently has changed my swing. Today, I was actually hitting hooks just like on the sim (not quite as bad but close) so I've taken my sim swing to the course. Mixed feelings on it, pleased that the sim numbers were not as ridiculous as I thought but not so good that I've started bending the ball off to the left so much. maine skytrak , I agree, the unit shouldn't have to be closed this much to get it starting on a straight (ish) line and the left spin numbers do appear excessive. There does seem to be a problem with my unit from that perspective. But like I said in my very first post, I sent it away to be looked at and apparently there's nothing wrong with it but I think I've seen enough to suggest otherwise. What do you reccomend SkyTrak_Seth ? Also, does anyone know how I can adjust the settings in the range so that I can start the ball out right and see it bend back into my target as opposed to constantly missing it left? I can't really aim right because my setup is already very right biased. I know this can be done on a GC2 unit but not sure it's doable on the ST? I know that I can change the offset to the right but the ball will start on the centre line and not start 30 yards right for example. Cheers Dave
          That's where I'm a little confused, with your machine that far close I thought your "target" line would be dead left? Have you tried turning the unit to the right or square? I recently had a issue with alignment and noticed a large smear mark on the black protective plastic for the cameras and I used windex to remove it and the crazy readings stopped, but mine still is "open" 2 degrees to right if I turned it as far right as you have it left all "straight" shot would show up on the screen as left.

Comment

Originally posted by maine skytrak View Post

That's where I'm a little confused, with your machine that far close I thought your "target" line would be dead left? Have you tried turning the unit to the right or square? I recently had a issue with alignment and noticed a large smear mark on the black protective plastic for the cameras and I used windex to remove it and the crazy readings stopped, but mine still is "open" 2 degrees to right if I turned it as far right as you have it left all "straight" shot would show up on the screen as left.
            If I put the unit square to target, it ends up 80+ yards left unfortunately. It will start well left of centre and then the spin sends it further left but with the unit in this position, at least I can get it starting right of centre.

Comment

If I put the unit square to target, it ends up 80+ yards left unfortunately. It will start well left of centre and then the spin sends it further left but with the unit in this position, at least I can get it starting right of centre.
              No doubt with it turned that far to the left it would have to start right of center, still seems crazy to me... but if the unit checked out and is ok I guess that's all ya can do.

Comment

Those Shots make much more sense with the unit being so far closed. That’s no good at all having it so far closed. You’ve got to take the unit onto a range and compare the real ball flight! We’re just going round in circles otherwise!

IMO, the most likely thing is that the SkyTrak is accurate, and one of, or a combination of, the following is giving you poor results:
                1) on the course you aim way right, but with a matt or other alignment aid, you aim square resulting in a shot way left (this is very common with amateurs).
                2) ‘indoor swing’ effect is causing you to make bad swings.
                3) the matt is catching the heel and turning the club over.

You said earlier that you tested the side angle by noting where the ball hit the impact screen. You didn’t say that you had the unit so far closed to carry out the test! Side angle and side spin are affected by face angle, so square the unit up, and test the actual side angle with SkyTrak’s side angle. Make sure you hit the ball slightly to the right. A hook is much more likely when you pull the ball too.

But really, compare it to real life ball flight outside! And don’t come back until you’ve done that. 😉

Dan

Comment

For myself, I have a bit of a pull draw. When I bought the Skytrak, i though my shots were way off. I took it out to the range, not because of the draw, which i thought was way too much, but generally just to see how accurate it was. I was very pleasantly surprised. Using a laser for distance, I found that carry distance was pretty accurate. I also found that my ball flight was pretty accurate as well. Seeing it IRL, allowed me to make some corrections, which carried back to home use.

I made 3 changes.
                  1) Changed mats. I was using a Country Club Elite insert which I changed to what the range used. Fiberbuilt. Never looked back. Easier on the elbows too.
                  2) Secured the mat system I made, so that it didn't move when I hit.
                  3) Center everything on the screen using the skytrak app, then hit short straight chips at the center line, till I was happy that the unit was aligned.

That did it for me. Not saying that your unit is perfect. You may have a problem unit. But you will not know until you actually see the ball flight for real, while the unit is giving you readings.

I did post a long.....ok, a very long comment on my days at the range. If it's not too boring you might find it interesting.

One thing I will say for sure. If you get it to the point where its working for you, along with a sim (TGC for me), the enjoyment factor is enormous.

Comment

Originally posted by Whiskeyjack View Post
                    For myself, I have a bit of a pull draw. When I bought the Skytrak, i though my shots were way off. I took it out to the range, not because of the draw, which i thought was way too much, but generally just to see how accurate it was. I was very pleasantly surprised. Using a laser for distance, I found that carry distance was pretty accurate. I also found that my ball flight was pretty accurate as well. Seeing it IRL, allowed me to make some corrections, which carried back to home use.

I made 3 changes.
                    1) Changed mats. I was using a Country Club Elite insert which I changed to what the range used. Fiberbuilt. Never looked back. Easier on the elbows too.
                    2) Secured the mat system I made, so that it didn't move when I hit.
                    3) Center everything on the screen using the skytrak app, then hit short straight chips at the center line, till I was happy that the unit was aligned.

That did it for me. Not saying that your unit is perfect. You may have a problem unit. But you will not know until you actually see the ball flight for real, while the unit is giving you readings.

I did post a long.....ok, a very long comment on my days at the range. If it's not too boring you might find it interesting.

One thing I will say for sure. If you get it to the point where its working for you, along with a sim (TGC for me), the enjoyment factor is enormous.
                    Excellent Whiskeyjack , i will read your posts 100%, it's all very interesting to me. I'm just starting my journey and I'm looking forward to good times ahead. I had a quick 15 minutes with the unit after my round and focused on getting my ball path out to the right and swung a bit easier and immediately I saw an improvement in my numbers. By swinging a bit easier, got more ball, less mat, less spin, straighter, longer shots. Cowabunga!!!! I downloaded the free 30 days E6 Trugolf trial as I can't afford The Golf Club Game yet but it seems my laptop is not good enough to run the software unfortunately.

Comment

• Whiskeyjack
                      Whiskeyjack commented
                      Editing a comment
                      And hey buddy, I hear you. I was frustrated too at first. My initial setup was in the winter here in Canada....Brrrrrrr. I had to f**k around till spring, doubting my swing and the unit. Then used it a bit in the summer, where i took it to the range etc, got an enclosure in the late fall for my birthday and Christmas. Practiced hard and played during the winter and went from a 15 handicap end of 2017 to a 9.5 end of 2018. The guys at the course couldn't believe the difference. The big thing is I'm no big exception on this forum......no expert golfer either....lol. So patience you'll get there with the unit. Your on your way now.

Originally posted by DannyMRICS View Post
                    Those Shots make much more sense with the unit being so far closed. That’s no good at all having it so far closed. You’ve got to take the unit onto a range and compare the real ball flight! We’re just going round in circles otherwise!

IMO, the most likely thing is that the SkyTrak is accurate, and one of, or a combination of, the following is giving you poor results:
                    1) on the course you aim way right, but with a matt or other alignment aid, you aim square resulting in a shot way left (this is very common with amateurs).
                    2) ‘indoor swing’ effect is causing you to make bad swings.
                    3) the matt is catching the heel and turning the club over.

You said earlier that you tested the side angle by noting where the ball hit the impact screen. You didn’t say that you had the unit so far closed to carry out the test! Side angle and side spin are affected by face angle, so square the unit up, and test the actual side angle with SkyTrak’s side angle. Make sure you hit the ball slightly to the right. A hook is much more likely when you pull the ball too.

But really, compare it to real life ball flight outside! And don’t come back until you’ve done that. 😉

Dan
                    I hear you DannyMRICS , I hear you

Comment

Whiskeyjack - I too recently changed from a CCE mat insert to a fiberbuilt flight deck. It is an unbelievable difference in shot quality. I am hitting 10 yards further on average and with way less draw. I found that I was picking the ball off the turf with the CCE because any may contact led to a poor shot.

​​​​

Comment

• Whiskeyjack
                        Whiskeyjack commented
                        Editing a comment
                        100% Alex. I actually went to the driving range near me at the end of the 2017 season and bought a couple of 1' x 4' strips they had for sale cause they were changing them. For $30 I bought 2. Pretty worn up on one end. They are made of 1' x 1' squares that snapped together. I rebuilt 1 nice unit that looks almost brand new. Total game changer, like I said above no sore elbows.

Hello all, I hope you had good new year celebrations. Unfortunately, I have been and am still suffering with a bad case of man flu . However, the purpose of my post is not to get your sympathy, it's to ask a relevant golf sim setup question . Currently my screen is loosely hung using bungee cord and rope that runs through the eyelets. The bottom hangs loose and the sides also hang loose. I am still getting a high percentage of shots bouncing back, some bouncing back dangerously fast. I've read some posts on here about people using bed toppers behind the screen. A mate of mine suggested i use loft insulation behind my screen, anybody have any thoughts on this? Cheers, Dave.

Comment

Hello all, I hope you had good new year celebrations. Unfortunately, I have been and am still suffering with a bad case of man flu . However, the purpose of my post is not to get your sympathy, it's to ask a relevant golf sim setup question . Currently my screen is loosely hung using bungee cord and rope that runs through the eyelets. The bottom hangs loose and the sides also hang loose. I am still getting a high percentage of shots bouncing back, some bouncing back dangerously fast. I've read some posts on here about people using bed toppers behind the screen. A mate of mine suggested i use loft insulation behind my screen, anybody have any thoughts on this? Cheers, Dave.
                        I use a queen size foam mattress topper behind my impact screen which has cut down on bounce back. The ball hits the screen and drops. I picked up the Zinus 3 inch Green Tea Memory Foam from amazon. Got it from the used section and saved a bunch. It is the only time I would ever buy a used bedding product! Good luck!

Comment

I would imagine normal loft roll insulation will get messy real quick with bits coming off everytime the balls hits it. I use the Rockwool 100mm sound insulation slabs and they are pretty good and help to keep the noise down. I just used spray adhesive and stuck them straight to the wall, hung a bed sheet directly in front of the insulation and then my screen with a few inches gap. I get no bounce back at all but I think that is mostly down to the screen to be honest and not the insulation behind it.

Comment

Working...
                          X