Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First round on TGC was a complete disaster.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First round on TGC was a complete disaster.

played my first round on TGC today and shot a 100. Haven't done that in years. 7hcp for reference

I have had my ST for a month and hungout in the ST range that whole time. Everything was fine, I felt like my distances were great and very close to actual. Today on TGC, all shots were VERY short or hooked left. I hit 4 fairways and 3 greens, too many putts to count.

I believe it is the CCE mat and hitting a little fat. The punishment is WAY worse than hitting a little fat in real life. The indoor swing is a real thing, but trying to get over that.

My initial thoughts this morning were -- why the hell did i spend this much money on something I am not even enjoying it? I bought this sim and software to get better but apparently im just getting pissed and have buyers remorse.

How has your experience been?
    -KillaCale8

The exact opposite of you haha. Best money my golf game has ever spent. Had everything for 2+years. Also have cce. You'll be fine. If anything I get a little more distance in tgc than ST range.

Comment

There are several things to said about your post, but I will only say this.

the CCE is known catching the club and forcing it left. This will create your hooks. There are very punishing and most eventually go to a different mat.

personally I have a CCE as a stand mat and using a fiberbuilt as the hitting portion.

im sure everyone at first thinks the same as you at the beginning.

Comment

Just stick with it man. The mat issue is a real thing and I'm looking into maybe cutting out a piece to add an insert with a gel bottom as I've seen some posts about guys having success and getting more of a real feel with a gel insert below the mat. My mat is an inch thick so I think I need something a little thinner to actually feel the gel. Putting is definitely one of the hardest things to do in TGC but you'll get the hang of it. Especially if you're a 7 handicap. The one thing I'm not too sure on right now is how it affects your real game. I'm not sure if my swing will be the same, better, or worse on real grass. Don't give up. Once you get the hang of the greens it should be a better experience for you.

Comment

I dropped from a 3 handicap to a +2 handicap after playing my first season on tour via TGC. While I don't have as much time to play anymore it has greatly helped my game. I have a CCE mat as well. If you get used to it your swing will naturally shallow out and it will eliminate all chunks on the course. A shallower swing is a great thing with all shots under 100 yards. You will notice almost no pros take divots on these shots.

I saw a video posted recently to youtube where Dustin Johnson hits 20 or so wedges from 50-70 yards and just brushes the turf every time with his 64. Pretty hard to do honestly.

Comment

• triplebogeysrbetter
            triplebogeysrbetter commented
            Editing a comment
            Amen!

I've learned distance control with my wedges and actually how far each club goes within the past year.
            I also dropped from a 30 hdcp to a 15.

Change your mat. Change your mat. Change your mat.

I went through three before I found one that worked. I needed something that didn't kill my distance and protected my back and wrists ....... Fiberbuilt worked for me. Lots of threads on it here.

Comment

Yes the CCE mat makes you hit pure shots. If I do not hit it pure I lose about 20 yards and the ball goes left. I never tried the FiberBuilt. For 3 woods to 6 iron I use a very small tee for all shots. One of the benefits of the CCE matt is can take real tees. This has not hurt real golf at all - in fact the last time I played with one of the club pros they mentioned how many non-fat shots I am hitting.

Comment

• aja
              aja commented
              Editing a comment
              The Fiberbuilt also takes real tees... It's the product that is used on the ProTee sensor. Comes with a hole for a rubber tee gripper. Use real tees, no issue.

Yeah you're not gonna be able to get the club through some of the heavier mats out there. I never had the CCE because of the stories I've heard about injuries occurring with it but I have a pretty thick mat also and when I'm hitting fat, I'm paying the price like you with 15-20 yards of lost distance. It's made me hit the ball cleaner though for sure.

everyone seems to rave about the fiberbuilt though, maybe worth a look before you start getting wrist or other pains from the CCE mat.

Comment

• calebm1001
              calebm1001 commented
              Editing a comment
              So far so good on the injuries. As I begin to pick up the amount of time on the matt, that may change. Looking forward to trying out some the above tips for sure.

As everyone on here has said already, find the mat that is best for you. For me, it was the Martin Hall 5 star mat. (The 3rd I tried)

One other thing I will say is that I do notice a difference between the SkyTrak range and TGC. Before I play a round on TGC, I will normally load a TGC range to warm up on. For some weird reason, I seem to hit it better on the TGC range than the SkyTrak range. I've never seen a difference between the numbers I get on the TGC range compared to the numbers I get during the round.

Comment

You mentioned you are hitting better on Skytrak range. I recommend searching for Mthunts driving range and then practicing on that. See if your distances match Skytrak range. They should be close.

Some of the issue you are seeing with distances in TGC is you may be hitting out of rough or heavy rough. TGC will penalize your distance out of rough. On the range you are hitting out of perfect fairway with no penalized distance.

Other tip to make TGC more enjoyable is turn the setting on to make all putts perfectly straight so you don’t have them push/pull drastically. Then when putting in TGC it’s all about getting the correct aim and speed. You don’t have to worry about putting alignment being perfect.

I also recommend a 1/2 in thick turf. Those thick mats will punish fat shots way worse than a real life fat shot. Stick with it! Good luck!

Comment

• calebm1001
                calebm1001 commented
                Editing a comment
                Thank you for the response! I will for sure look into that range. Haven’t found a good yet.

• Lgnir
                Lgnir commented
                Editing a comment
                MTHunt has some great courses too!

Like you I am very very new. So far I have played a 3 par, one of the two featured courses when you first click to play, and last night Pebble Beach.
              I am scratching my head as well getting used to things. The par 3 and featured course were reasonable. On the course I scored 45 on first nine and 35 back as I got used to it. But last night on Pebble Beach I scored something like 115??? Part of it was me, part of it was luck (putting was 1-3 strokes on one course and 3-7 on Pebble Beach ha ha ha), part of it was how tough the rough was (hit my 3 wood 225 off fairway but 150 out of rough).
              My experience with the first course and the 3 par give me hope - they were a blast. Hopefully your next round will be as well.
              I am definitely gonna try Mike80s tip about the putting setting.
              I have been playing with a worn down (no blades of grass left in spots) and rock hard discarded mat that I got from the municipal course for $25. I just received and will install a Divot Action insert. Hopeful that this will make a big change as the fat shots punish like crazy. I can see sparks in my dark room when I hit the mat (I assume a static charge???) and know the ball will go short and left.
              Good luck!

Comment

What I have learned in the short time I have had mine.

-There is a learning curve for sure.
                -The Mat....ugh. I cut out a spot in my CCE as others have done and put in a fiberbuilt square. That helped a lot but I have a buddy that takes a heavy divot he is struggling getting used to it. This does not take into account the damage it did to my back and elbow.
                -For the putting I think many use the gimme feature 6' from the hole. It works pretty realistic in this mode. I think this gives it realistic scoring at least for my game. IRL my long putts are 50/50 2 or 3 putts. Pretty much exactly what I am doing in TGC.
                -I do find my iron distances are a bit short but I was given a pretty good explanation of what we think we hit IRL compared to what we really do and it makes sense.
                -I do see much more variance with side to side than I do IRL or on the ST range. I am told it is because the algorithms do not account for spin decay we get IRL.
                -ST and TGC help my IRL game as I have to be much more focused in TGC to not side spin it.

You'll get better and be able to enjoy it. In the end it's a game not real life so have to give it some slack it is developing at a rapid pace.

Comment

calebm1001 If you have a Skytrak, I think the settings are in the Skytrak TGC Settings file. When loading up the TGC software before starting the server there should be a button to click for settings. Somewhere in that .txt file you change it to force straight putts. Somebody that has a Skytrak can maybe confirm which setting to look for. I have a GC2. The setting for GC2 for straight putts is in the GSX interface program.

Another tip for new TGC players. Many courses are designed for game console where player hits 300 + yard drives, so many courses are way too long to play as a real life simulator golfer. Many courses have been created specially for simulators where the course yardage is much lower. Search for the word Protee. You will see courses with the word Protee in the name. Those are courses that are sim friendly. Also on this site look for the forum under TGC where they have a list of the top TGC sim friendly courses.

Comment

• calebm1001
                    calebm1001 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks for the tip! Looks like I found the correct putting patch.

• trhuke
                    trhuke commented
                    Editing a comment
                    re: Console courses versus sim friendly or ProTee courses.
                    AMEN to that! I could probably "mouse" a 300 yd drive on a console but I sure as hell can't hit one with a real club. Console golf is fantasy golf, sim golf is (a pretty darn good) adaptation for swinging real clubs.

Another tip for finding good courses is see which ones are used for tournements...they usually are very good.

Comment

I'm fairly new to the sim world too, I have a SkyTrak and TGC. I've found that I'm getting similar results to real life and my distances and shot shapes are spot on. I complained to the wife when I first got things up and running about 4 months ago that it was not working and I was pulling everything left. I played a real life round the following day and pulled my first 3 tee shots into the trees. I'm now playing the tour and loving it.

I'd definitely persevere and as others have said try the courses that are used on the sim tour. I'm in the UK and have a Huxley Golf mat, they're used on the ranges at St Andrews Links and would be similar to the CCE mat.

Comment

Working...
                    X