GC2 Megaflash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GC2 Megaflash

I have a batch of flashes assembled, tested, and ready to go. I have worked with Tretee on the JNPG forum on this design. He is a very skilled engineer with extensive flash design experience and test equipment. Here are the highlights of the new design.
    1.) It will definitely work with serial numbers 4200 and above
    - This is the point when Foresight started shipping their newest driver circuit board. The new driver can handle more current than the old one. The Foresight Superflash requires the newest driver board because it uses a larger bulb that needs more current to flash. The Megaflash uses less current than a Superflash but more than the old style, so to be safe I am saying 4200 and above.
    - If you have a lower serial number and are interested in testing the Megaflash send me a PM for more info.
    2.) It comes with a 1 year warranty
    - If it stops working within the first year I will send you a new circuit board that goes inside the housing for free. Foresight's Superflash has a prorated 1 year warranty
    - I expect it to last several years in a personal-use setting.
    3.) The case has been designed to be reusable
    - It is 3D printed on a $200k industrial printer for the highest quality print that I could find. It has a matte texture but no visible layers or extrusions like personal printers
    - It has a glass infrared filter instead of a plastic one
    - The back can be removed to put a new circuit board in
    4.) It has a life expectancy on par with the Superflash.
    - During longevity testing, we were able to run a bulb for over 2 million flashes which equates to 200k shots.
    - Each flash is tested for brightness on a light meter that I built to be brighter than the old design for reliable readings
    5.) A complete module costs $150.
    - If you bought one of my other designs, I will give you $10 off a new one.
    - Please add $10 for shipping to the UK and understand that it will take about 2 weeks to arrive. I can ship faster but cost will go up significantly.
    6.) Additional circuit boards for inside will be $100/piece.
    - I am going to hold off on selling extra boards until I can get everyone who is interested a complete module

To purchase a flash, please send Paypal to gc2flash@gmail.com. Include your shipping address and forum username in the notes please. I will post when the first batch is gone. I have parts to build more so I will be replenishing my stock as they sell. If you have any questions, please post them below since other people may have the same question.
    Last edited by andygg1986; 01-02-2018, 04:16 AM.

• You would've ended up going to foresight and getting gouged on pricing
    Originally posted by tim2372 View Post
    Not sure what i would have done without his help.

Comment

• Since I’ve got more time at home to build flashes, and a lot of us are playing more simulator golf, I’m going to reduce the price for replacement flash internal boards from $100 to $75. You still need to have bought one complete megaflash for $150, but you can reuse the plastic enclosure and just replace the internal board when it wears out. Unfortunately, I can only offer this price in the US because shipping internationally costs quite a bit, but I will still give a proportional discount for international orders. As always, you can send payment with PayPal to gc2flash@gmail.com and include your shipping address in the notes.

Comment

• andygg1986 Hi Andy. I am in need of one of your mega flashes - the complete module. Do you ship to Canada? If so, how much would the complete cost be including shipping? Thanks!

Comment

• andygg1986
          andygg1986 commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes I can ship them to Canada. I will PM you to get your address though. Certain areas of Canada cost considerably more to ship to in my experience.

• mthunt
          mthunt commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm in canada and have received 3 flashes from Andy.

• Hey Andy,

I need one of your flashes, I am located in South Dakota. Do you know how much everything would cost with shipping?

Comment

• andygg1986
          andygg1986 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi Lucas, they are $150 with PayPal to gc2flash@gmail.com. I ship with priority mail so it probably will take 3 days to get there

• Andy, shipping to The Netherlands possible? Complete flash unit

Comment

• andygg1986
          andygg1986 commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes, I can do FedEx to the Netherlands for $185 USD. It should take 3-5 business days, although with the current situation it might be a day or two longer.

• I'd like to buy one of these. Where do I find my serial number to confirm compatibility?

Comment

• andygg1986
          andygg1986 commented
          Editing a comment
          There should be a sticker on the bottom of it, and the boot up screen will also show the serial number

• Andy, Thank you for getting the megaflash to me so quickly. Sent Andy a request for one on Sunday afternoon and it arrived on Wednesday morning.

Comment

• Found my serial, A6477, mega flash should work, right?

Comment

• andygg1986
            andygg1986 commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes it should work for you. I will PM you instructions on how you can verify in case you want to double check

• Just curious, are many GC2 flash tube failures down to breakages, I have been fixing the flash cards for a pro's GC2 and 2 out of 3 tubes have been smashed. I'm trying to get a feel for how delicate these units are.

Comment

• andygg1986
            andygg1986 commented
            Editing a comment
            The tubes that you are using from here https://www.xenonflashtubes.com/flas...ulator_85.html are more delicate than the ones that I use in my flash. They get pushed close to their limit which shortens their life, and if you get oils from your fingers on them that can cause them to crack prematurely as well. The oils cause certain spots of the glass to heat up faster than others, and the mismatch in expansion can cause it to break. The reason my flashes can last much longer is the bulb is run at a much lower percentage of its max capacity. It will eventually fail from the bulb getting cloudy and the light levels dropping off rather than cracking.

• Andy, just sent you $150 for a Megaflash. Thanks!

Comment

• andygg1986
            andygg1986 commented
            Editing a comment
            Got it! I will PM you a tracking number

• I have been using Andy's mega flash for 6 weeks, no problem whatsoever its been great! would buy again if the flash ran out in a few years. He shipped the item pretty quick and helpful.

Andy's flash is a good alternative if you buy a used unit or have a device that is already out of warranty anyway.

Great work Andy!

Comment

• Andy, still selling megaflashes for $150?

Comment

• andygg1986
              andygg1986 commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes I am still selling them!

• hi andy! wondering if you have any flash modules available? thanks!

Comment

• andygg1986
              andygg1986 commented
              Editing a comment
              Hi gr3g. Yes I am still selling them and have them ready to go

• Hi Andy, in stock and ready to go? I'll send payment shortly here if so. Anything else you need to get situated?

Comment

• andygg1986
              andygg1986 commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes I have them ready to go. If you want to confirm that your GC2 has the newest driver board, you can follow along with this video to the 1:15 point, at which point you will see a sticker that says Rev N, N2, or N3. If yours isn't N3, then I would upgrade your board for you as well.
              Instruction to replace the entire flash power board

If your serial number is above around 8000 or you already have a superflash/megaflash in it, then there should be no need to check the driver board revision.

• cdayafp
              cdayafp commented
              Editing a comment
              Serial number is in the 13,XXX range, just got a terrible flash from them apparently. Superflash dead after about 3000 swings.

• andygg1986
              andygg1986 commented
              Editing a comment
              Yikes that is terrible. I’m guessing your GC2 is more than a few months old with that serial number. Foresight does have a prorated one year warranty but even at 6 months you are still paying $250. All you need to do is send payment with PayPal and your address and I will get it shipped out to you.

• Sent you a PM about buying one Andy! S/N is over 9000!

Comment

Working...
            X