This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ernest Sports ES16 - New Camera Based LM

• I used it today. Much more consistent than previous version. I was very happy with it. I'll give more feedback when I get more use.

Comment

• Any other thoughts? I have yet to upgrade. Need to get that done.

Comment

• I updated. Seems good. Haven't noticed any negatives to the update.

Comment

• I agree . The new update seems good.

Comment

• Baller and Bubba:
            I tried FW 152 today and played a round in TGC. I completed the round, although it was tough at times. I would say the majority of the horizontal launch angle issues have been very much improved. Still, I saw issues with short chip/pitches not reading and perhaps iron distances variations. Anyway, I take it you two guys have not seen any of those types of issues and when you say things like seems good and no negatives, I take it all works well?

Comment

• I can't get the ES-16 I have to download the new FW 152 I am still using FW 151.

Comment

• BGCurtis2nd
                BGCurtis2nd commented
                Editing a comment
                Yes I am using the Ernest Sports App, but Ernest Sports updated my system with an update that was just for me, it didn't help and now I can't get it to update to the newer FW doesn't show me there is anything available.

• Lefty13
                Lefty13 commented
                Editing a comment
                That's a major bummer BGCurtis2nd! Have you had a chance to call them yet and ask them how to find the update? Sounds like most of us have been really happy with 1.52.

• BGCurtis2nd
                BGCurtis2nd commented
                Editing a comment
                Lefty13 I have sent a second email to Jim to let him know it still will not update. I had original talked to him on the phone when it was first released and he had said he thought it may have been the server I was going through had just not updated, but sure seems to me plenty of time has passed for it to have done so by now.

• Hi Guys! Just played my first sim round in a long time... on TGC. I also updated the FW to 1.52 and I was very impressed. The putting was perfect... chips also almost perfect except for a 6 yard chip I was trying to do... skytrak struggles with that as well though. The ball recognition was super quick too... the old firmware sometimes struggled with misreads for me... I didn't have one of those this round. Not one misread, not one no read. Just wish my tendonitis would let me play a bit more right now but I'm a happy camper with my ES16 tonight.

Comment

• Lefty13
                Lefty13 commented
                Editing a comment
                I also enjoyed how quick it responded compared to the Skytrak... putting was darn close to instantaneous.

• Well I agree, FW 152 does seem more consistent than past ones. I played a round today and had one of my best rounds yet, a 5 over 78. I had two no reads during play and had two misreads. The no reads were both with well struck 7 irons and the two, I am calling misreads, were with a putter. In both cases, the actual ball path was directly at the center of the screen. The reported path of one was 4 degrees to the right and the second was 6 degrees to the right. I think those qualify as misreads. I played them and did not rewind. I'm not sure why this type of thing happens, but other then that, putting seemed to work quite well. I did lower the green stimp to get shorter putts to read more easily.

One of the best improvements is with the addition of CHP.(actually, I think introduced on FW 151) I could not get this function to work at first. It is not fully integrated with TGC, so one has to switch from the chipping club to CHP by pressing the right arrow on the unit until CHP shows up. Unfortunately, I found this did not work, because the unit still would not register short chips. I finally tried to select putter and then pressed the left arrow to select CHP. It worked, and short chips worked every time.

One last thing, it seems to me, club distance may be slightly lower in TGC with this release. I played the front with no boost and the back with a boost of 10% for all clubs. It did not seem to work at all.

Anyway, I hope they keep this up, because this release is not bad at all.

Last edited by Stonebattle; 11-04-2017, 05:51 PM.

Comment

• Bubba22
                Bubba22 commented
                Editing a comment
                I agree Stone. Hoping TGC can add chp mode and boost options for ES16. Much improved interface. They are working on more improvements especially for the horizontal azumuth as well as club data.

• Originally posted by Lefty13 View Post
              Hi Guys! Just played my first sim round in a long time... on TGC. I also updated the FW to 1.52 and I was very impressed. The putting was perfect... chips also almost perfect except for a 6 yard chip I was trying to do... skytrak struggles with that as well though. The ball recognition was super quick too... the old firmware sometimes struggled with misreads for me... I didn't have one of those this round. Not one misread, not one no read. Just wish my tendonitis would let me play a bit more right now but I'm a happy camper with my ES16 tonight.
              Try the chp mode for short chips.

Comment

• Hey Lefty:
                Bubba is right, try CHP mode. It is not integrated with TGC yet, but one can get to it. When hitting short chips, the best method I have found is to select putter and then hit the lefty arrow on the unit until CHP shows up.
                Then hit your chip. That methods works well for me.

I have had a great time using the ES 16 this week end. In the past, the ES 16 was rather frustrating to use because of the misreads and no reads. That is to far left or right or long or short or no read. It is not perfect now, but for the most part it is reasonable and I can call the shot most of the time before I see it displayed. On real courses I have a low single digit handicap. In TGC with previous ES 16 releases, I was a double digit handicap. Wow, this FW release is a breath of fresh air! I do hit rewind every 15 to 30 shots or so, but I have seen that on many other simulators as well.

Comment

• Lefty13
                  Lefty13 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks guys!! I will try that! Nice to see everyone is moving in the right direction! Hope the rest of the users can move forward with it as well!!!

• Originally posted by Stonebattle View Post
                Hey Lefty:
                Bubba is right, try CHP mode. It is not integrated with TGC yet, but one can get to it. When hitting short chips, the best method I have found is to select putter and then hit the lefty arrow on the unit until CHP shows up.
                Then hit your chip. That methods works well for me.

I have had a great time using the ES 16 this week end. In the past, the ES 16 was rather frustrating to use because of the misreads and no reads. That is to far left or right or long or short or no read. It is not perfect now, but for the most part it is reasonable and I can call the shot most of the time before I see it displayed. On real courses I have a low single digit handicap. In TGC with previous ES 16 releases, I was a double digit handicap. Wow, this FW release is a breath of fresh air! I do hit rewind every 15 to 30 shots or so, but I have seen that on many other simulators as well.
                Apparently the next update from ES16 will improve ball logo recognition and horizontal measurement even better. They are looking at adding boost options for TGC (simlair to Skytrak) as well as a chip (CHP) mode selection option through the keyboard ( similar to selecting any club) which will make it easier than changing through the unit. The chp mode is very good for pitches to soft , soft chips. It essentially changes the camera characteristics to capture slower shots.

Comment

• I played another round today in TGC. I Played Pebble Beach. I think it said the course played between 6200 and 6300 yards. I ended up even par and once again the play was fun and felt about right. That score compares to an average of 74 IRL for the last 5 rounds on par 72 courses from the white tees, the last 2 in rather cold windy conditions, with course ratings of about 70 from the white tees.

I did question 4 shots. One carried further than I thought it should have, although just over the green, but not so much so that I thought it needed rewinding. I did not have a no read.

I had 3 shots I questioned the horizontal launch angle. With my screen, the ball impact position can be seen for a minute or so. During that period I can measure the impact distance from the center/target line and height and of course I can then calculate the horizontal launch angle from that data. I only did this on shots I questioned. For one of the three shots, the system reported a 9 degree right launch angle while my measurement and calculation showed only 4.5 degree right launch angle. I rewound that shot. For the other 2, I found the system and my measurements and calculations were less than 2 degrees different. The system was right, so no rewinding those 2 shots.

I have to say I have been very disappointed in the past with the ES 16. I am a bit gun shy, but if this keep up, its looking good. Don't get me wrong, not all of the data is in line with trackman numbers at this time, but I think I can now invite my buddies, good players, over and they will have a good time and not get frustrated. Although, I will probably wait until CHP is well integrated into TGC.

Comment

• Lefty13
                    Lefty13 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Wow! Great to hear Stonebattle! It sounds as though it's finally arrived!!! I was also initially disappointed but I feel like we're gaining some momentum! I wish BGCurtis2nd could get his updated though!!! He's invested as much of any of us have and can't get is to update to 1.52.

• I just played for a while on TGC and it was the best yet. I agree. Everything is working better than it was and putting even worked very well and was accurate.

Comment

• This is great to hear and promising guys.

Comment

• Keyboard controlled chip mode and boost options like Skytrak are in the works. I agree the latest update 152 is very good.

Comment

Working...
                      X