Announcement

Collapse

TGC Tour - Congratulations!

Congrats to @simmb (NET) and @Joe_S (GROSS) winning the TGC1 2020 SUMMER TOUR - Northern Trust !

Join this weeks TGC1 2020 SUMMER TOUR - BMW Championship with 2 rounds at Oakmont Country Club (ProTee Blue): https://golfsimulatorforum.com/forum...w-championship
See more
See less

TGC Penalty System Explained

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TGC Penalty System Explained

TGC Penalties explained:
    Light Rough, Rough, and fairway sand are about 1 club
    or about 7% loss of distance. Heavy rough is about 2 clubs or about 13% loss of distance . Green side bunkers are about 50%. Bunkers 50 yards or less from green will have 50% penalty applied. Great than 50 will have 7% penalty applied.
    Ignore all displayed lie penalties in the game.

TGC penalty settings(when TGC is enabled):

GC2 users:
    Set all penalties sliders in GSX to default of zero.

ProTee system users:

In ProTee Interface, set green bunker penalty to 40 and all other penalties to zero.
    Last edited by Maverick; 12-11-2014, 06:48 PM.

Do the penalty settings above still apply for Protee users?

Comment

Can someone confirm the bunker 50 yards or less penalty.

I was in the bunker exactly 50 yards. So at 50% loss I would have to hit a 75 yard shot. So I hit my 75 yard shot and it went over the green about 75 yards. So I was thinking maybe the 50% penalty is really 49 yards or less. Because I hit a mulligan and now a 50 yard bunker shot with 7% penalty would have to hit a 53 yard shot. So I hit it like 53 yards and it was perfect distance.

So I'm thinking below is correct:

Please confirm that a bunker shot 49 or less yards is 50% penalty.

Please confirm that a bunker shot 50 or more yards is 7% penalty.

Comment

Its not a 50% or 7% penalty. Its more a 20% and 3% "physics" decrease, which might result in a 50% or 7% yardage loss, but is depending on several variables like backspin, ball speed and launch angle.

TGC recognizes several course surfaces. Unfortunately it does not know the difference between a fairway bunker and green side bunker. Bunkers within a certain distance from the flag we treat as green side bunkers which have the higher penalty.

Comment

ProTee United Can you confirm the exact distance for a green side bunker. In this thread they stated 50 yards or less. But in my test the 50 yard bunker acted like a normal fairway bunker with penalty.

Please confirm the exact yardage so I know when to expect the higher penalty.

Also if you can please state the distance decrease and physics decrease for the following:
          Light Rough
          Rough
          Heavy Rough
          Bunker 50 yards or more
          Bunker 49 yards or less

I may not of the bunker distance correct above so indicate the correct distances.

Thanks! I think this will help everyone understand when they have a higher or lower penalty.

Comment

I looked this up. Currently:

HeavyRough ~6%
            The rest ~3%
            Greens side bunker < 40y ~20%

Comment

• allen2be
              allen2be commented
              Editing a comment
              These are still the correct penalties right? (And ignore the original post?) Confirming before I blow it up and put it on my wall for guests. TIA.

ProTee United Thanks! Sorry to bug you again on this. Are the numbers you mentioned above Distance Decrease or Physics Decrease or both combined? You mentioned two penalties with Distance and Physics decrease.

Will you elaborate on the numbers stated above with Distance Decrease and Physics Decrease.

Glad to know the green side bunker is 40 or less yards and not the 50 or less previously stated in this thread. Because I assumed the 50 and it messed my shot up thinking the penalty was more than what it really was.

Just want to know the true numbers. Thanks!!!!
            Last edited by Mike80; 03-03-2016, 10:19 PM.

Comment

ProTee United Are the numbers you mentioned above Distance Decrease or Physics Decrease or both combined? You mentioned two penalties with Distance and Physics decrease.

Will you provide the Distance Decrease and Physics Decrease for each lie and green side bunkers?

Just want to know the true numbers. Thanks!!!!

Comment

• ProTee United
                ProTee United commented
                Editing a comment
                There are no true numbers. These are all physics decrease. Its all relative. I gave you the approx percentage.
                I already said above green side ~20%, heave rough ~6% and the rest ~3%. There is nothing else.

• aja
                aja commented
                Editing a comment
                Maybe if we left well enough alone, we could avoid a new topic with heated discussions about whether the penalties are set to the right percentage, whether they really work like that, yada, yada, yada...

Didn't they just quote the true numbers?

• ForeLeft
                ForeLeft commented
                Editing a comment
                I think penalties are like IRL. You can guess it will be x%, but never know. I like that. If the game made it so it was always fixed, say 20%, I can always club up accordingly and then there is really no penalty and no advantage of hitting the fairway.

Originally posted by aja View Post
              Maybe if we left well enough alone, we could avoid a new topic with heated discussions about whether the penalties are set to the right percentage, whether they really work like that, yada, yada, yada...

Didn't they just quote the true numbers?
              Heated? Haha. Seems like a bit of a stretch.

Comment

My question is relevant. Otherwise in this thread it said bunkers 50 yards or less is 50% penalty. In my testing that was not the case. Now I know green side bunkers are really 40 yards or less and think everyone needed to know it was not 50 or less. I only followed up with the question because it was stated above there were two decreases, Distance and Physics.

Comment

Here's another penalty question, is there a difference between using a putter on the green and using it from the fringe? From experience it seems like putting from the fringe, (with a putter) triggers a distance penalty. Or am I just over imaginative?

Comment

• Cubsmjy
                    Cubsmjy commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I have noticed I need to hit it harder from the fringe when I am using the putter mode. I don't know the exact penalty but I typically will play it as a few feet longer.

• trhuke
                    trhuke commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks Cubmjy, I feel the same way. If I get it quantified I'll share, I'm thinking about doing some experimenting with a repeatable ball strike. (note: it sure as hell won't be me holding a putter, that isn't repeatable.)

Just making sure you select putter when it's on The Fringe. It will default to a wedge. Cutting seems trickier off The Fringe and a good example where you would probably want to chip in the video game but putt irl

Comment

• trhuke
                    trhuke commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yup I covered that in my initial post. You get some very funky results if you forget to take it off wedge!

Originally posted by trhuke View Post
                  Here's another penalty question, is there a difference between using a putter on the green and using it from the fringe? From experience it seems like putting from the fringe, (with a putter) triggers a distance penalty. Or am I just over imaginative?
                  Setting the club to putter reduces back spin and side other metrics. If you putt from the fringe with wedge selected the ball will skid and be slow. If you try to putt from way off the green the fringe really slows things down.
                  My Courses:
                  Weston G&CC by mthunt RCR
                  London Hunt Club L mthunt RCR
                  Park CC Lidar mthunt RCR
                  Sunningdale GC Robinson L RCR
                  Sunningdale GC Thompson L RCR
                  Twin Peaks Desert Fictional
                  Muirfield Village (liDAR) First Ever Lidar course
                  Country Club of Castle Pines (liDAR) RCR
                  The Sanctuary GC ProTee L RCR
                  National GC of Canada RCR
                  Mississaugua G&CC mthunt RCR
                  Shaughnessy G&CC L mthunt
                  mthunt Range Fictional
                  The Meadows 5047 mthunt Fictional

Comment

• trhuke
                    trhuke commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I think I'm going to build a little pendulum type thing to see if I can simulate a repeatable putt and test the results re: green or fringe with the putter. Just for the hell of it...
                    BTW mthunt, I've played a couple of the courses you designed. Thanks, nice work!

• mthunt
                    mthunt commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks. The London series is coming soon.

Green putting vs. fringe

Did some testing hitting putts (with the putter) from the same distance, in the same direction. One on the green, the other about just off the green on the fringe. My unscientific results looked like the fringe adds about 5-10% distance difference. Used exact same clubhead speed and ball speed noted on the shot record screen to compare the resulting distances.

I didn't check to see if putting over a foot or two of fringe slowed it more than just a few inches of fringe. I'd had enough statistical fun by then.

Anyway, about 5-10% on an approx. 30 foot putt.

Also, found that if you're putting and want to see the flagstick hitting 9 key> F key> P key will put the flag in for you.

9 key- (switch to an iron), F (puts in flag) P (gets you back to your putting) with flag still visible.
                  Last edited by trhuke; 03-16-2020, 05:08 PM.

Comment

So this one is definitely confusing me. Love the being able to play at home aspect of TGC2019, and very grateful to all the talented designers, but without rough penalties i just find myself playing massive bomb and gouge all the time. But without the gouge, resulting in scores that aren’t nearly realistic for the caliber course I’m playing (or the caliber swing I’m brining)... is there anyway to up these values? Eg, on a US Open course, should it be like 40% from the deep stuff? Or from fescue should be -80% or something?

Comment

• Solstice72
                      Solstice72 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I've been saying that for a while. The weakness of the game is that at root it's bomb and gouge. Links courses are neutralized and commonly not worth playing as much. That is until the idea came up to create OB in strategic fescue regions and such, but the practice is not widespread. So the lack of spin penalty hurts a lot. And being able to jack a quality shot with backspin from over your head fescue is something the future will have to bring us. Course selection minimizes bomb & gouge. Try a 4 day old course that dropped Sanctuary CO (Lidar) v1 Enjoy the vaulted tees.

Originally posted by tmerr View Post
                    So this one is definitely confusing me. Love the being able to play at home aspect of TGC2019, and very grateful to all the talented designers, but without rough penalties i just find myself playing massive bomb and gouge all the time. But without the gouge, resulting in scores that aren’t nearly realistic for the caliber course I’m playing (or the caliber swing I’m brining)... is there anyway to up these values? Eg, on a US Open course, should it be like 40% from the deep stuff? Or from fescue should be -80% or something?
                    What exactly do you mean by "without the rough penalties?" I believe heavy rough is 14%, which turns a 150 yard shot into a 171 yard shot. That's pretty penalizing in my opinion. 2 clubs worth.

I'm not sure if there is a way to increase those values. But if you really wanted to make it difficult you could crank up the speed and firmness of the greens. And of course play the furthest tees.

Are you playing in the tournaments?

Comment

Working...
                    X