Holy Grail Hitting Strip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holy Grail Hitting Strip

I’ve seen it mentioned here in a few spots but I wanted to give my .02 on the insert from gunghogolf after getting it installed and putting through 100-200 swings.
    First off, the team there at gung-ho does a great job; from answering initial questions prior to purchase (skytrak) and follow through on the back end. They also shipped ahead of schedule which was a nice surprise.
    My original mat had a longer ply height resulting in lower than expected numbers when I first starting using the ST. At first I questioned the unit but was able to run it side by side with trackman to verify. This also gave me a chance to hit off a fiberbuilt insert. Launch numbers were comparable to irl but as a digger I couldn’t quite warm up to the feeling. ST and TM launch speeds and angles were nearly identical throughout the session so I was able to single out the mat as most likely culprit.
    I decided to give the Holy Grail Strip a try and so far I’m very pleased. Install was pretty straight forward, I haven’t stuck it down yet so I can’t speak on the adhesive.
    Ball/club interaction is good and so far seems to give very accurate results compared to the feeling of the swing whether fat/thin/push/pull.

Anybody else give it a try yet?

Originally posted by GungHoGolf View Post

We've had only 3 cases of the turf bubbling up on our Holy Grail mats, and have replaced them. It was a temporary issue with a very small run of them that didn't get enough glue.

Springs only add complexity in my opinion. The HG is very simple mechanically, and we unconditionally guarantee it for 12 months. Have sold several hundred in the last 7 months or so with only those 3 issues.
    Are you talking about the actual HG mats, or the HG strips as well? My strip has bubbles (not to bad yet and still usable) and one of the edges is starting to pull apart from the plastic piece underneath. Have had it since about September.

Comment

• wbond
      wbond commented
      Editing a comment
      You may want to reach out to the vendor, I think he said there was a quality issue with some

Originally posted by Sixmudd View Post

Are you talking about the actual HG mats, or the HG strips as well? My strip has bubbles (not to bad yet and still usable) and one of the edges is starting to pull apart from the plastic piece underneath. Have had it since about September.
    I was talking about the HG strips (which are also including with our HG mats). If your strip is defective we will absolutely replace it free of charge. Send pics to hello@gunghogolf.com.
    - Ron at GunghoGolf.com - we specialize in TrackMan, FlightScope, Foresight, Uneekor, SkyTrak, Garmin, Bushnell, TGC, and E6 Connect. 512-861-4151 or email hello AT gunghogolf.com.

Comment

• Indyfish
      Indyfish commented
      Editing a comment
      They will take care of you. I had the same issue and was resolved relatively quick. A+ for GungHoGolf.

• GungHoGolf
      GungHoGolf commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Indyfish!

I was thinking about trying out the HG mat, but looks like they are not available on the webs site. Any idea when they will be available to order?
    I currently use a TrueStrike. Doesn't bother my joints, but seems to really punish fat shots and seems pretty grabby with the clubs. Do people that have experience with both have an opinion?
    Thanks,
    Chad

Comment

Originally posted by cnachtma View Post
      I was thinking about trying out the HG mat, but looks like they are not available on the webs site. Any idea when they will be available to order?
      I currently use a TrueStrike. Doesn't bother my joints, but seems to really punish fat shots and seems pretty grabby with the clubs. Do people that have experience with both have an opinion?
      Thanks,
      Chad
      All our strips and mats are available to order - any shipping delays are noted on the product pages: https://store.gunghogolf.com/Holy-Gr...rip-c113543171

HG is definitely not "grabby" with the club like the TS - that's the main reason it's less likely to cause injury. You'll still get good feedback on fat shots, and they'll be punished in distance (but not punish your joints).

Also: the gel below the turf in the TS is great at preventing shock, but when impacted with speed it really doesn't let the club travel downwards through the ball much with shorter clubs and steeper angles of attack. Our HG surface flexes down nearly an inch to allow very steep AoA and realistic ball flights with wedges and knock-downs.
      - Ron at GunghoGolf.com - we specialize in TrackMan, FlightScope, Foresight, Uneekor, SkyTrak, Garmin, Bushnell, TGC, and E6 Connect. 512-861-4151 or email hello AT gunghogolf.com.

Comment

• cnachtma
        cnachtma commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you.

• Brettster
        Brettster commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for that info GungHoGolf - when you say
        but when impacted with speed it really doesn't let the club travel downwards through the ball much with shorter clubs and steeper angles of attack.
        - I've often wondered if the thicker gel (such as motorcycle seat gel) would provide more 'give', or does all 'gel' just cause too much grab?

Have you seen the Soft Strike? Much more like a divot-action - spring loaded... and with softer padding underneath... or MagStrike that wbond speaks of... the magnets sound intriguing to me, would be a real time-whacker though to build one... so wondering if you've demoed them?

Thanks for your insights!

• GungHoGolf
        GungHoGolf commented
        Editing a comment
        Gel is soft when slowly pushed into with your thumb or whatever, but acts way more firm when hit with speed. Sort of like jumping into water from the side of a pool, vs from 100 feet - where water starts to act more like concrete. I don't think the thickness of the gel matters much.

Have not tried the Soft Strike or Mag Strike.

Ron do you guys ship to Canada?

Comment

Originally posted by Bubba22 View Post
        Ron do you guys ship to Canada?
        We do not currently, sorry. Not able to keep up with current demand from US customers. Hope that changes in the future.

Comment

• Bubba22
          Bubba22 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Ron. Keep us posted if that changes. I would love to test it against the Divit action and Fiberbuilt as well as my home made strips.

Just ordered the 4x5 mat with holy grail strip - excited to test it out. Will update with my review

Comment

GungHoGolf Is there any difference in the performance or feel between the various sizes of your Holy Grail Hitting Strips?

Comment

Might be waiting awhile to get your hitting strip, I haven't received my order from December along with others who placed an order then.

Comment

Originally posted by wjochetz View Post
              GungHoGolf Is there any difference in the performance or feel between the various sizes of your Holy Grail Hitting Strips?
              Nope, they're all identical action through impact. Only reason we offer versions longer than 30" is to support other mat cutout sizes for strip replacement.

Comment

Can confirm, great hitting strip. It's completely changed my ability to play indoors. Fat shots are punished, joints are not, and I've stopped subconsciously trying to pick all my irons clean.

Comment

Originally posted by barwick11 View Post
                  Can confirm, great hitting strip. It's completely changed my ability to play indoors. Fat shots are punished, joints are not, and I've stopped subconsciously trying to pick all my irons clean.
                  Thanks for your review, glad you're liking the Holy Grail hitting strip!

Comment

CURRENTLY AVAILABLE FOR PRE-SALE! EXPECTED TO SHIP MID MARCH.
                    Finally decided to go order but see this. Heartbroken. Guess I'll keep using the Fiberbuilt squares until then. That's what I get for waffling the last few months.

Comment

Does anyone use the gungho strip with a Net Return Pro Turf? I have the 6' x 10' and It's about 3/4 inch thick, so thinking I would need to raise it about .5 to .75 inches to get everything flush. The net return mat is fine, but my wrists and elbows cannot take it anymore.

Comment

ordered mine today

Comment

Working...
                        X