This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skytrak tips and tricks

Hey all, With all the bad press around Skytrak with its sim integration problem/sync issues with the pga show this year

I wanted to write a post/ turn it positive that would help all users to maybe get their skytrak working better. I'm maybe hoping this will get stickied for its information. If you have anything to add please do so. I have only used PC version so some of these maybe pc related. I get it, not everyone loves their skytrak but lets try to keep this thread to a best practices post.

1. Make sure unit is level- use level or level with "protective" (lol) case leveler
    2. Alignment - make sure unit is aligned with where your striking.
    3. Make sure unit is level with surface your hitting off of
    - If hitting off mat make sure unit doesnt move or is off the mat/ even with the mat
    4. Balls - I've found nxt tour s, velocities, nike one vapors work pretty well. I havent tried prov1s yet but read the reduce spin messes w/ skytrak - I could be wrong?
    5. Swing speeds - if you have a high swing speed, tee the driver about an inch back results have varied from user to user but seems to help. Also making unit level with ball for driver seemed to work, is it a pain in the bum yeah but what are you going to do?
    6. Marks on the ball - whether they are putting lines or ball markings, the cameras seem to like this more and results are greatly increased.
    7. Sync issues - I still have sync issues, I turn my wi-fi off, when doing this the lag is greatly reduced since unit is always trying to connect to their server
    8. Direct USB - I've always used direct usb, I cant comment on wireless connecting. Its just my preferred method.
    9. My skytrak likes to be off before I connect it via usb to my laptop, I plug the usb in then turn it on..so usb cord is in , plug it in, turn unit on win 10 finds it.

this is all i have for now/ what i can think of please feel free to add!
    Last edited by ernie18; 01-30-2016, 04:45 AM.

Ball placement for me works best with putting higher launching shots ahead of the laser and lower behind it. I use a 4inch area, 2infront of the laser and 2 behind it. My 3wood is my lowest launching club at 10degrees on average and it goes 2inches behind the dot, I do flops with my 60degree about 2 inches in front of the dot. I put my 9 and 8 irons right on the dot and other clubs gradually in front of or behind a little more each club.
    Low bump and run shots will work for me if I place the ball behind the laser, not always but the only time they ever have this is how I have done it. Im talking 5 foot of carry with 60 feet of roll type shots.

Comment

Agreed with Alienator for all ball placements.

For balls, I recently had a post where I believed ST was penalizing pro v1s for high spin rates and calculating shorter distances.

Reality is ST is dead on with high spin rates and distances with pro v1s. It was just my error not knowing my distances. On course I will play different balls occasionally and I guess my ego just remembers my longer distances using a Velocity ball or something similar. Hit pro v1s outside right next to velocities and there was a clear difference in distance which is exactly what ST data is reflecting. Long winded way of saying pro v1s work just fine. I use them exclusively with ST now as that is what I am trying to stick with on course.

Comment

Ball placement around the laser dot seems pretty forgiving; maybe a little behind the dot for driver; like to use alignment sticks that keep me aligned with the face of the skytrak. Also, I try to wipe off the window of the case when it gets coated with dust; not sure if that matters. I really like the unit. After worrying about & hitting some "fat" shots into the slot on an optishot, the skytrak is awesome.

Comment

• Alienator
          Alienator commented
          Editing a comment
          I started with an optishot myself and it was so inaccurate I had to ditch it, it was making me worse. I got maybe one legit reading out of every 10 and that was with tape on my clubs.

I think the ball Placement is really a player by player based solution. It just depends on your launch angles, I don't really think speed has much to do with it. Different people have different launch angles with every club. Just remember the lower your launch angle, the further back to place the ball and try to keep a label or logo facing the skytrak unit and you should have much better luck with picking up of shots.

I tried different balls just to see and hit ten shots with each. I tried some "tour" balls (prov, chrome softs, Penta, Zstars) some high end sorta almost type tour balls (ntx, qstar, hex chrome, D2) and some cheapy hard covered turds (pinnacle, slazzenger, toprocks) and found the results to be pretty consistent. When I tried with my 60degree I got 10-11k spins with the tour balls, 7-9k with the semi tours and 5-6k with the turds. With the driver there was more variants from shot to shot with the same ball than there was between the different types of balls. Seemed the less loft on the club the less difference it made what ball I was using. I did notice a slight average difference in carry but I dont know that it wasnt just my performance and not the balls. I really had no idea there was that much difference in spin with a wedge though between types of balls, I figured a few thousand revs maybe but not half.

Comment

Does anyone else have to align their Skytrak to the right or left of the target line to get accurate results? I can chip a ball from the laser dot to hit the screen a foot right of what should be straight in order for it to register straight. A straight shot or chip goes left. I am saying a chip because it is pretty obvious and not user error. Makes it hard to guesstimate how to align it.

Comment

• wbond
            wbond commented
            Editing a comment
            Are you turning on the alignment feature when you start to get it positioned correctly? If so, are you then seeing it angled in one direction or another?

• Godfather
            Godfather commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes I aligned it with the two laser dots. I will be double checking my mat because it's probably not 100% level and the laser dots require this. However when I got it aligned so it would read the chip as straight going up my alignment rod, the Skytrak was visibly angled pointing left of the target line.

• Mark72
            Mark72 commented
            Editing a comment
            I would use a shot firmer than a chip but less than full to dial in your Skytrak. I notice that when I chip in TGC, it occasionally misreads the horizontal angle significantly compared to where it hits the screen vs. my aiming string (and I know my Skytrak is aligned correctly to that string...see my post later in this thread). Not exactly sure, but I suspect it might have something to do with interference of the read due to the clubhead. I say that because if I hit the chip with an open face "cut", the horizontal misreads seem to happen less often. This happens rarely with shots hit more firmly than a chip even if less than a full swing.

BTW, note to Skytrak - it would be awesome if somehow you could reduce the reported side spin to TGC on soft shots that would be interpreted as chips, because the side roll in TGC seems to curve way more than in real life. I could be totally wrong on this, but it sure seems like it, especially on cut chips.

just wanted to say i used prov1xs the last 2 nights and the results have been great. so i take my previous statement back .

Comment

My tip...Hopefully it helps. Nerdy as hell but... I made a guide to line up my SkyTrak to my target line. I have a cad table at work so... I made it out of .125 (1/8" Sintra plastic) . This is gonna get wordy but I do not have it in front of me to photograph currently. It is a rectangle 15 x 24. Within this 15 x 24 rectangle I have a removable section 11 x 22. On the removable section that is 11 x 22 I have a line drawn that is 22" long. It bisects the 11" dimension into (2) 5.5" sections. I turn the alignment mode on and get the 2 red laser dots. I line the dots up with the line on the guide. Once I am happy with the alignment of the two dots I remove the 11 x 22 section. I am left with a U shaped 15 x 24 rectangle with a laser dot on the mat. It gives me the confidence that my alignment is good with SkyTrak. Frames my club face nicely as well. It also lets you know if you delivering the club head fat. Ie.. you hit the plastic frame.

I rarely use it anymore because I have a good feel for my face and path now. When people try the ST for the first time I always show them how I align it so they can't claim a misread. The only time in my life I think my father in law didn't think I had a learning disability was when I showed him this grid guide. It works.

PS: once I set the grid I never look at the skytrak again. I always feel like it is open to my target line causing me to pull the ball. If I just look at the grid for my target line I get much truer results.
            Last edited by Wyzyguy; 02-04-2016, 10:40 PM.

Comment

• ForeLeft
              ForeLeft commented
              Editing a comment
              Can you post a photograph of this later? I think this will be super helpful.

• Wyzyguy
              Wyzyguy commented
              Editing a comment
              Sorry ForeLeft.. Just saw this. I will see if I can get the cad sheet here @ work. Thanks for your parience.

Originally posted by ernie18 View Post
            just wanted to say i used prov1xs the last 2 nights and the results have been great. so i take my previous statement back .
            Do you have a theory as to why?

Comment

• ernie18
              ernie18 commented
              Editing a comment
              why they're great or why i thought they wouldnt work?

i think they're great because its a great ball. its interesting seeing a dt solo spin 6k then a prov1x spin 9k. going into the range

i had mine marked as well.

i will preface it and say i didnt test the prov1s at all until a few nights ago. thats what i forgot about having a launch monitor, you can test all this stuff now without harrassing the guy at golf smith!!!

• Wyzyguy
              Wyzyguy commented
              Editing a comment
              The club testing has been really useful. I have tested a couple buddies irons and drivers to see if I am missing out on something. So far I have made a driver change and a 3w change. The difference on the spin rate from my 2 3Ws is incredible. Tested A/B will exact same ball and alternate swings. Slightly lower launch with a huge reduction is backspin. We have a very cool tool in the ST. I have really spent a lot of time working on launch angles and spin rates for wedges. Very excited for spring to get here.

• ernie18
              ernie18 commented
              Editing a comment
              Wyzyguy I cannot agree with you more. the amount of information on every give shot beats beating balls on a range any day. that along with the lessons i have been taking i am so excited to play

like you i have made a driver change too. cant hit the long ball if your launch is no higher than 11*. ive also gap filled my wedges so i got pretty good distance ideas 105 yards in!!

I wish Skytrak would release a new users manual with all of the verified tips and tricks and guidance on when to use them. I am glad the user community is compiling this data. It may be useful ( if someone on here knows how) to create a Skytrak wiki page to put all the useful information in. Would definitely help a new owner like me digest all the information and in addition keep the community informed. (Known problems; resolved problems; software version history; verified upcoming features; tips and tricks; Connecting to iPad/PC/etc tricks of trade; photos of people's setup; summary of effects of hitting surfaces (CCE, Truestrike, etc); links to tests of Skytrak vs other products and results; etc).
            Last edited by Swarm99; 02-06-2016, 12:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Godfather
              Does anyone else have to align their Skytrak to the right or left of the target line to get accurate results? I can chip a ball from the laser dot to hit the screen a foot right of what should be straight in order for it to register straight. A straight shot or chip goes left. I am saying a chip because it is pretty obvious and not user error. Makes it hard to guesstimate how to align it.
              No. I just use the alignment mode and place a piece of tape where the 2nd laser dot appears. Then i use that for alignment. No problems so far.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Comment

Hello ForeLeft .

Please see the attached file. This the diagram for the alignment grid I use and built. Basically a little hitting station for alignment.
                Attached Files

Comment

• ForeLeft
                  ForeLeft commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Wyzyguy - Thanks. This looks really useful. I may be able to build something like this with some cardboard. Won't be as polished as yours, but should do the job.

I tried alignment laser but itself and found it be pointing a bit left, so right now I just set my alignment stick parallel to SkyTrak and that seems to work great for me.

• Wyzyguy
                  Wyzyguy commented
                  Editing a comment
                  ForeLeft .. That would probably work. Maybe a thin plastic sheet, .125 or 3mm would work. It is portable and makes for a quick alignment. I wish the ST could be put in alignment mode on the unit itself with out have to toggle through the app.

Originally posted by ernie18 View Post
                Hey all, With all the bad press around Skytrak with its sim integration problem/sync issues with the pga show this year

I wanted to write a post/ turn it positive that would help all users to maybe get their skytrak working better. I'm maybe hoping this will get stickied for its information. If you have anything to add please do so. I have only used PC version so some of these maybe pc related. I get it, not everyone loves their skytrak but lets try to keep this thread to a best practices post.

1. Make sure unit is level- use level or level with "protective" (lol) case leveler
                2. Alignment - make sure unit is aligned with where your striking.
                3. Make sure unit is level with surface your hitting off of
                - If hitting off mat make sure unit doesnt move or is off the mat/ even with the mat
                4. Balls - I've found nxt tour s, velocities, nike one vapors work pretty well. I havent tried prov1s yet but read the reduce spin messes w/ skytrak - I could be wrong?
                5. Swing speeds - if you have a high swing speed, tee the driver about an inch back results have varied from user to user but seems to help. Also making unit level with ball for driver seemed to work, is it a pain in the bum yeah but what are you going to do?
                6. Marks on the ball - whether they are putting lines or ball markings, the cameras seem to like this more and results are greatly increased.
                7. Sync issues - I still have sync issues, I turn my wi-fi off, when doing this the lag is greatly reduced since unit is always trying to connect to their server
                8. Direct USB - I've always used direct usb, I cant comment on wireless connecting. Its just my preferred method.
                9. My skytrak likes to be off before I connect it via usb to my laptop, I plug the usb in then turn it on..so usb cord is in , plug it in, turn unit on win 10 finds it.

this is all i have for now/ what i can think of please feel free to add!

i wanted to revise this because i think its a good thread that will help beginners

1. still important
                2. also important
                3. same - but dont put it on the same surface where it can hop/bounce/move
                4. all balls read as they do on the course...
                5. The tee the ball back inch was a rumor never found to be true
                6. i still mark mine i feel it helps the camera. i use beat up prov1s all the time
                7. sync issues have been clear, dont be like me and log in with your user name and not your email that will give you grief
                8. ive been using the ipad as of late. love the wireless feature
                9. doesnt affect me anymore because of 8

ive had my skytrak a year and know its realiable and deadly accurate, it may have a draw bias but its nothing crazy. still recommend it!!
                Last edited by ernie18; 12-11-2016, 05:22 AM.

Comment

I have read a few other tips about alignment and balls.

It would be nice if we can expand on this being that it is almost 2.5 years old.

I would also think that a resource like this should be made a sticky, esp if we can and more to it.

Mine will be here this week.

Comment

• triplebogeysrbetter
                    triplebogeysrbetter commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I fixed my alignment by buying TGC. Now I dont need to line up the unit with the app everytime. Love using the ST, but the APP was a pain. Nice features but a pain. I've enjoy using the range on TGC more.

• gette
                    gette commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Interesting. Thank you Bogey!

• gette
                    gette commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I was thinking about this.

Wouldn’t you still have to align the SkyTrak unit in order to be accurate in TCG or any other sim?

I recently got a skytrack and so far the experience has been solid. Still working on fine tuning to my swing (consistently reading puts has proved an issue to date) but I wanted to vouch for what a few others have said on some items.

1) the statement that your launch angle dictates placement of ball is very true. I have a very high launch and i find the system doesn't pick up wedges if they aren't a couple inches infront of the laser.

2) for driver I would say test out a few spots in-front and behind the laser, as with wedges it depends on your launch angle.

my question to the group is any advice for more consistent putting?

Comment

Working...
                  X